HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #631
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Cool Re: Crate Motor Class

I'll be honest with all of you that call your selves class racers, I just built a CM engine last year and never got it in the car because of the end of IHRA Class racing. I've been studying the NHRA rule book to come up with a combination to run in my car. The more I dig into things I'm finding out that the NHRA rule book allows all kinds of alternative parts from stock you can use to build your motor. I keep thinking to myself what is stock about this ? My Crate motor sitting on my shop floor is 1000 times more stock then any NHRA stock stuff. If your spending 5k on a set of stock heads, I hate to tell you there not stock anymore. My Crate motor is built to spec as a replacement engine mimicing an original GM engine. This being said it's nothing different then all of the replacement parts you all run in your so called year specific engines. To all of you haters look in the mirror, your engines are no different then a crate motor at the end of the day. I'm still open to building amother engine to class race with you gentleman in the NHRA. For God's sake why can't we all just get along and race together ?

Last edited by Birch motor cars; 02-03-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #632
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch motor cars View Post
I'll be honest with all of you that call your selves class racers, I just built a CM engine last year and never got it in the car because of the end of IHRA Class racing. I've been studying the NHRA rule book to come up with a combination to run in my car. The more I dig into things I'm finding out that the NHRA rule book allows all kinds of alternative parts from stock you can use to build your motor. I keep thinking to myself what is stock about this ? My Crate motor sitting on my shop floor is 1000 times more stock then any NHRA stock stuff. If your spending 5k on a set of stock heads, I hate to tell you there not stock anymore. My Crate motor is built to spec as a replacement engine mimicing an original GM engine. This being said it's nothing different then all of the replacement parts you all run in your so called year specific engines. To all of you haters look in the mirror, your engines are no different then a crate motor at the end of the day. I'm still open to building amother engine to class race with you gentleman in the NHRA. For God's sake why can't we all just get along and race together ?
X's 2
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #633
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

You're trying to drive square pegs into round holes. nhra is not going to accept ihra style Crate Motor cars. Build a Stocker, that's the only answer to "your" dilemma.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #634
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Why would anybody not simply build a car that fit the rules of both associations? Guys that did that are not left out now. I raced IHRA every chance I had. It was obvious to me I would not want a car that could only run there. I wanted to support them best I could. Older guys that were racing when AHRA was around could see a resemblance. Besides the check I was never able to cash, I figured that deal was not going to last long.

Why in the world would half a dozen, or so, racers think another bigger association should just add classes & prize money for them? They need to simply own up to their own lapse in judgement. I would be busy re-doing my car.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #635
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
. . . nhra is not going to accept ihra style Crate Motor cars. Build a Stocker, that's the only answer to "your" dilemma.
Without getting snitty one way or the other, what Bruce says is the best description of the situation. Crate motor classes are not right or wrong, but there is simply not anybody racing them. So your only choice to race with a national organization is to build a stocker or a super stocker.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #636
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Seriously?? Who was that?
Don Himes. RIP
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #637
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Don Himes. RIP
Todd --- Was that the 400 motor in the Grand Prix ? If so I can attest -- Three angles and cc'd that's it.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #638
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lattimore View Post
Todd --- Was that the 400 motor in the Grand Prix ? If so I can attest -- Three angles and cc'd that's it.
Danny, I guess they hadn't seen any stock 6x's at Indy since mine...1997
Old 02-04-2018, 01:40 AM   #639
M Brand 505B

Liked 30 Times in 9 Posts

Are you IHRA crate motor guys actually going to support D2 and go to their races?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #640
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lattimore View Post
Yes Dan, absolutely. Bruce told Don and Billy. " Your heads doesn't look like everyone else's. Strange days indeed