HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Default 58 Corvette RACEtoration is back online!

Built on the premise that "LESS IS MORE" This project is a multi-use, small tire car with a little baby motor for Super/Stock racing among other things. All of the design and fabrication work that you will see was performed by myself. All of the fiberglass enhancements I did as well. This will be the first car I ever painted. I like to do everything myself, all the construction, finish and most of all... the driving! The car is designed to do it all, NHRA Super Stock, IHRA Super/Stock, Nostalgia Super/Stock, Bracket Race, Stock suspension type 10.5 Racing, Car Shows, Street Driving/Cruisin, Hot Rod Power Tour, Super Chevy Shows, Goodguys Shows, National Street Rod Asso. Shows. Who knows...maybe a shot at the salt, out in Bonneville! Can one car fit in all of these programs? Who knows, but I'm trying to build the car with the opportunity to compete or enjoy life in many arenas! .......Should be done in the spring or summer of 2015.......I had to take a break from the project due to hurricane Irene damage to my shop building on 8/2011. I rebuilt the damaged portion of the building (500 sq ft) (did I mention I like to do it all myself...yes the building too) to even better than it used to be. Now (11/2012) I'm finishing the body and paint booth area. Then it's wide open on the Corvette project! The challenge is to win in a car you created....in a building and shop you created from scratch ! The car will be named "The Firefighter Special" and will be involved in the promotion of Firefighter reccognition and awareness.

Here is where the car is today

Here is what I started with...yes it is a ton of work...but the more effort you put into the journey....the greater the reward...I look at it like, the more you do yourself...the more you win...it's like you win a little bit everyday!

This is the frame that I pulled out from under the car. Complete with tow bar mounts and straight axle leaf spring mounts

This is the frame after being stripped of all unneccessary brackets and being dipped and cleaned. I bought this stock front suspension off of Ebay from a seller going to a Mustang II front end

This is the front suspension today

These are the headers I made and had dipped at Nitoplate. The hand made collectors have a slip connection welded into the core for crankcase ventilation. The shroud uses a Flex-a-lite 3300 CFM fan. The front motorplate detail won't be completed till the body is back on the frame.

The rear frame section needed to be narrowed slightly to fit a 10.5 tire under the car and the leaf springs were moved into the frame rail. A 9" ford housing was narrowed and fabricated using all Strange Engineering components.

More to come later on the Body and Roll Cage detail

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 09-14-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Jerry Hatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 58 Corvette RACEtoration is back online!

Really nice looking project Wade. I certainly have to agree with the concept of doing everything yourself. There are very few people left who have the desire and commitment to complete a long term project such as yours. The level of gratification achieved upon completion of such a venture cannot be compared to anything. My hat's off to ya, enjoy your build. Jerry.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Wade Mahaffey

A few photos of the roll cage detail

I made the seats to provide maximum driver comfort in the small Corvette interior.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

imagination, thought , engineering very nice work gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
Wade Mahaffey

To address the wheel tub issue, I fabricated a mold from 22 ga steel. I wanted a rounded corner from the sides to the top for a nicer stock appearence. I hand formed a nice wheel tub complete with beads for strength. I then hand laid the fiberglass mat with resin to form a great looking and strong 35" X 14" wheel tub

I then trimed the finished tub to fit the car and glassed it into place for a very sweet finish.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Wade Mahaffey

I noticed some cracking where the top or the front fender meets the step down for the hood on both sides. I think it must be from leaning on the front fenders while working in the engine bay. So I added two foam strips under the fenders and glassed them in to provide extra support. I call it the "Daytona Package" LOL

Old 09-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Wade how are you coming along with your Corvette, Send us a video of the car and your shop, it would be nice to sneal a peak. Claude
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Wade Mahaffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Wade how are you coming along with your Corvette, Send us a video of the car and your shop, it would be nice to sneal a peak. Claude
Claude, I'm coming along with the project OK. I'll be putting up some photos and videos more regularly now I think. Hopefully I'll be getting the stuff done that I needed the body on the frame for, this coming week. Then get the body back off to paint the underneath, trunk, interior,and the engine bay. After that, the body goes back on for keeps....then it should roll on pretty good. Here I'm getting prepared to do the drive shaft loops....gonna show some actual welding process "live" if you will...."in helmet cam"! Well, gonna give it a good try anyway LOL. I love the sense of accomplishment I get by doing everything myself....it's really cool!

Wade Mahaffey
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 177 Times in 110 Posts

Love the Garage !!

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Wade Mahaffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Love the Garage !!

D
Thanks Dan,

Wade Mahaffey