HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Onan info

Need some info on the warranty or best place to get parts ASAP. It's about 2 1/2 year old 5500 Marquis gold with a little over 700 hrs. Well this weekend it would run about 15 to 20 min then shut off. Code said over frequency fault, so like any under educated fool I started working on it. Pulled the circuit board out and switched it out with another (guy across from me had an extra, what are the chances) after that it was fine. My question is can these be repaired or are they throw away And where to get one before Thursday................

PS The book also said SEE AN AUTHORIZED ONAN DEALER Well that didn't happen

Last edited by Bob Verwold; 05-17-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
SCOTT SST2871

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Onan info

You can buy a new one from onan dealer,they are pricey!!theres also a company called dinosaur (i think) that offers them with a 2 year warranty i bought a remanufactured one from my local onan repair ctr and paid about half what a new one cost they sell them on an exchange basis
scott fifield
SCOTT SST2871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's pricey ? I can't find anything on the net , when I put in the part #s in it says, nothing by that #..........
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
kmyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Bob,

Send me the model number and part numbers and I'll see what I can find out in this area.

Kevin
kmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gen # 5.5HGJAB-1038D
Ser # I070108865
I think the part # is 300-5374 I'm calling Onan now I think they sell to the public. I'm sure it's gunna be a hit from them.........
Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must be living right.........Called and the part is still under warranty and is being replaced BUT not in stock and will have to be ordered.

I guess I'll go ahead and get one of the Honda 2000's .Wanted one anyway,
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
kmyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I called the Cummins Bridgeway dealer in Columbus, said Cleveland, Toledo, and Saginaw had them. Retail for $349.46. Good thing you are living right. hopefully you'll have it ready for Indy.

Kevin
kmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I just did one this morning....the exact same model and part. The unit was brand new in a brand new M-H.....Warrantee....

It is called and A-1 controller and is a sealed unit....not repairable and there are no cheaper versions for these as of yet.....It does everything.....engine control and generator control and monitoring.

Part number should be 300-5374

If you can get it warrantee it is easy to change as you already know........

We could sell one for $289.95......+ shipping

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 05-17-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well here's the deal now, put the original back in before taking it in for service and thought I'd ck it out the Gen is still running.
So I called back and canceled the app. guy told me if it acts up again give them a call. So I'll see what happens.

Rich, I was wondering if you would jump in on this..If I need the board after the warranty I'll get in contact, that's the best price by far.

Thanks to everyone for the help......

Rich you have a pm

Last edited by Bob Verwold; 05-17-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Bob.....I work on these units a lot. They often do random shutdowns and the code sometimes helps and sometimes does not. I usually work on the larger commercial version of what you have but they are similar.

Check the battery positive connection post. There are multiple wires landed on there and if the lower section is loose it can cause a shutdown. That is where the A-1 controller gets it's DC power from.

The A-1 controllers usually last a long time but sometimes one will fail when the unit is nearly new.....like the one I did today. If yours has 750hrs on it....the A-1 is probably still ok.......and your issue is something else. That is just from past experiences.....Most controllers last thousands of hours.

Brushes can wear uneven and cause shutdowns.....Easy to check....

I can help you or anyone that has Onan issues. I have been working on them and lots of other electrical equipment and machines for many years. I kill time amusing myself reading posts on here during the day or at lunch.....some very entertaining stuff usually in the S/SS area....

My self and my friend and service manager at work, Matt Schurman, race and work on these things just about at every race we go to. I have 3 M-H's right now here in my lot.......