HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster

Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
barracuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face I'm new here: Super Comp/Top Comp dragsters

I recently attended Frank Hawley's Drag Racing school and earned my super comp license. I am NHRA Licensed now. I am extremely new to dragsters as I have raced in other classes in the last 10 years.
I am looking to find someone with one that they no longer want to drive who wouldn't mind me driving for them however, I have had no such success with that. So, now we are thinking about buying or building one but the only problem is, we know pretty close to nothing about dragsters. We know the motors they run but it stops there.
How hard is it to get into this? What would my best bet be as far as wheel base and 4-link, etc? what tracks can we run at? How much would a typical day at the track cost me?

I know some people who want to be a part of my crew if we do this on our own but they are fresh out of school and would be rookies with me.
Anyone have any suggestions? Should we not go forward with the plan to buy or build one?

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have some family members who used to race top dragsters and my father builds cars however, they all live 17 hours away from me so the building would be by them, they do know about them.
barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Rick Blake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: I'm new here: Super Comp/Top Comp dragsters

Go to the track, make some friends in the class you want to race and enjoy the learning curve, we're all a pretty friendly bunch and enjoy helping. Look for a turnkey ride, there are some great deals out there and most of all have a blast.....!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Carl Juliano

Liked 59 Times in 21 Posts

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have some family members who used to race top dragsters and my father builds cars however, they all live 17 hours away from me so the building would be by them, they do know about them.[/QUOTE]

Well, If my family members raced TD and build cars, I would be on the phone with them getting all the details and advice, but a typical race weekend will cost you a few hundred bucks, travel expenses, fuel, (race fuel), food, entrance fee etc.
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spend a bunch of time at the track. You'll find that almost everyone you meet will be happy to chat and provide their opinion. And ignore them all Seriously, just listen and learn.

You'll find far too many cars available lately, especially with the economy, many are turnkey. Check out racingjunk.com. A turnkey choice is best. Maybe it won't be exactly what you'd want, but you'll never know that until you spend some time with a car and find out what you DO want. And it will get you running right away.

With all the options out there, you'd be silly to build one yourself right out of the box. Simply put, you don't know enough to get it right. And it might be dangerous. A used car will also come at something like a 50% discount. And can include the trailer and all the "what-not" that you can't think of today that you'll need.

In the long run, you'll want a suspended car, but to start, anything will work. Wheelbase is not a huge deal, anything over 225 should be fine. A weekend at the track is not expensive: entry, fuel, and such will be a hundred, maybe two at a big race. For us, the biggest cost is the diesel to get to the track (often a few hundred miles away), we can easily spend $300+ in a weekend on fuel to get there and back.

Having friends to "crew", especially if they have no experience, is more of a pain than an advantage. They'll trip all over things, get in the way, and mess with your process (e.g. your consistency). You maybe could use one helper (many race by themselves), and it's best if it's the same person every time.

Getting involved is not hard, doing it well is. And that's all about learning. That's why I'd spend this summer out at the track, find folks who will chat and soak it up.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Mountainmotorman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just line that junk up and someone will gladly keep schooling ya around DIV1.... LOL Anyone from ATCO will just tattoo that .000 on ya!!!! Link Racer

(I am only kidding around...)
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: I'm new here: Super Comp/Top Comp dragsters

Barraccuda
"How hard is it to get into this? What would my best bet be as far as wheel base and 4-link, etc? what tracks can we run at? How much would a typical day at the track cost me?

I know some people who want to be a part of my crew if we do this on our own but they are fresh out of school and would be rookies with me.
Anyone have any suggestions? Should we not go forward with the plan to buy or build one? "

You will find it easy if you have some money, As far as wheel base goes anything from 200-230" will work. The four link cars definately stop better and may be more consistent on a marginal track but the cost twice as much. Since I don't know where you are located I can't recommend a track to you. I currently budget ~$300 a day (Driver & 2 crew) and most of the tracks I race at are 100 mi. from home.

I would recommend that you get at least one experienced guy to help you out for a while He can help you and a novice crew learn what to look for and what is important and what to expect. I have raced by myself but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

As far as build it or buy it ? I build my own out of necessity but Chris is right buying a roller or a turnkey in todays economy will save you time and money. But get someone who 's knowledgeable to look at it or you could be sorry.
If you have any more questions you can e-mail me at : Greatbaer@sbcglobal.net and I will try to help you as much as I can.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
most of the tracks I race at are 100 mi. from home.
The closest track we regularly race at is ~100 miles, we seem to always be going 250 or more. Our divisional races are 120, 255, 260, 460, 530, and 837 miles away. But then the distances out here are a lot further than they are where you are... And we have mountains in the way. Our diesel bill FAR outweighs all our other costs.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
The closest track we regularly race at is ~100 miles, we seem to always be going 250 or more. Our divisional races are 120, 255, 260, 460, 530, and 837 miles away. But then the distances out here are a lot further than they are where you are... And we have mountains in the way. Our diesel bill FAR outweighs all our other costs.
Actually fuel (Motorhome and generator)makes up a little more than a third of my cost,entry fees almost another third and the remaining third is for getting the crew in, feeding them,beer, pop ice and all the misc. stuff we seem to need. I also don't count race fuel (methanol) in this budget as I buy it all at once in the spring before the season starts
Keep in mind this is per day and I usually race both days so for a two day weekind it costs ~$600.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
barracuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Everyone! It certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I guess I'm not used to talking to grown men on here. I appreciate all of your information. It seems to be good information since all of you say the same thing.
I have had two guys tell me they'd lease me their car for the weekend for $1500. they say "that's a great deal because it will cost you more in gas and hotel stays than that alone" which I highly doubt.

Turns out, all I had to do was ask my dad. As far as funds go, well that's mostly on me so I'm still trying to gather it all. In the meantime, I'd like to try and find someone who would lease one to me for a few races, without it costing me $1500 a weekend.
If anyone has any other helpful and useful information for me please send an email my way jennifer@jennifercomptonracing.com . I'll take anything you've got!

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
barracuda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown hemi 526 View Post
Hi Jennifer,

To pay someone 1,500 per race when you think about it is not that bad of a deal. IF the only thing you have to do is show up and race !!

If the car is being trailered to the tracks - say they have room in the hotel room. Then absolutely it's worth it.
You dont have to buy a new truck, trailer, pay insurance, maint of everything, maint on the race car, gas, tolls etc etc etc.
If you drive 500 miles to a race you have to go back home too - thats 4-500 in fuel cost alone - add in the tolls, at least 100. Hotel for divisional 4 days at 100 day and nats 5 days. There is another 4-500.
That alone is 1,000. So you will be paying these costs out of your pocket if you do it by yourself. If you break it down you can see it is not so bad.
Think about it - run the following
New Dragster you want - lowball 30k - high 45-50k
Truck - pile of crap 10k - new 45-50k
Trailer - pile of crap 5k new 20-50k
Motor - crap 7500 - new pretty good 20k
trans 5k
conv 1k
headers 1k
firesuit 1k
tools
all equipment
and the list goes on and on and on.

So you can see you can spend 70,000 doing it cheap and you have not moved yet. Pay the hotel and tolls like I said and proved is 1,000. So realistically you are leasing a car for 500 a race.

Oh by the way - there is a ton of other expenses I forgot to add that I cannot think of. So if you are starting from scratch might be something to entertain for a year or two and then see what happens. Like I said it will only be costing you the 500 and in true facts less than that.

Best of luck.

The reason I don't see that as a hell of a deal is because I'm not a weekend warrior. I want to race every weekend that there is a race. Also, I already have a truck, trailer, suit, etc, etc,. I just don't have the dragster.

I just spoke with several people and my uncle who used to race top dragsters and TAD and they said "Don't lease. it's a rip off" some people said they used to lease theirs for $1500 and they made alot of money from that deal.. So I'll stick with that. We're building one.

Thanks Guys!!