HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts
Default Veterans day story

I would like to share details of an event that happened to me yesterday, Veterans Day.

My youngest daughter, Nicole, wanted to take her 2 sons to the Veterans Cemetary to see where their great grandparents are buried. Gavin is 9 and Hudson is 6. Nicole also wanted to help the boys understand "freedom is not free" and that many veterans have helped us to remain free. Additionally, it was a lesson in going to heaven.

I got some fresh cut flowers prior to picking up my family, primarily for my mother who is burried with my father, after 60 years of marriage, in the Phoenix National Cemetary.

As we drove quietly into the massive cemetary, an eerie stillness overcame us. My grandsons were in awe of all of the American flags, thousands of people, and hundreds of thousands of grave sights.

I had the boys transfer the flowers into a provided vase and water and we proceeded to where my dad and mother were. I had brought along a dish towel and asked Hudson to dust off the headstone while Gavin set the flower vase securely above the headstones.

After a few moments, we held hands and said the Lord's Prayer.

As we were finishing up the prayer, out of the side of my eyes I noticed a young man and about a 8 year old boy standing quietly about 20 feet away. Shortly, they approached us. The clean cut father asked "would you mind if we clean your loved ones head stone "? I initially said "no thanks, we have already done that", when I noticed that the young man and his son both had soft bristled brushes in their hands. Once noticing that I changed my mind and told them, "that would be nice".

My family watched as father and son delicately brushed all dust and sand from the headstones. As the father knelt down his pants leg moved up, a prosthetic foot was noticeable.

As they stood up, I asked if the father was a veteran himself. Yes he was. I promptly saluted him, to which he immediately snapped to attention and returned the salute. We were both Army veterans although many years apart, and my dad was also an Army veteran and former prisoner of war. This young man had served 2 tours in Afghanistan and some obvious serious injuries. As the father and son walked away one could notice a distinct limp as he held his sons hand headed to the next loved ones headstone to clean and pay respects.

My daughter had never before been so moved and filled with understanding and emotion. My grandsons experienced something that they will never, ever forget.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by SStockDart; 11-15-2016 at 02:47 AM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts
Default Re: Veterans day story

Thanks for sharing. I ride my bike on memorial day to join several hundred other bikers at the phoenix cemetery and stay for the ceremonies. It's touching and a great feeling to pay respect for the ones that gave all for our freedom.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

Gary, Great story. At the Finals Greg Reimer and Tony Janes made donations to our annual fund raiser to provide comfort items to our Veterans that are staying in the VA Hospital over the Christmas Holidays. A special thanks to them for their generous donation. To all of our Veterans thank you for your service and sacrifice to this great nation. Semper fi!

Last edited by Eddies66; 11-12-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Veterans day story

That story of the Veteran's Day observation in Phoenix is an all time classic. What an example to those young persons that was. I want to publicly thank Eddie for his devoted faithful service while enlisted and beyond. He's retired, also, and still serving others. That's the greatest occupation that a man or a woman can possibly undertake. I was just young enough to miss Vietnam, but there was a lottery taken for men born when I was. I was number 022. Nobody was drafted that late in the war, so I missed that one. Lots of people went and were never the same. Some were damaged mentally,physically, and emotionally, they need our love and support. It's beyond me to imagine how anybody could disrespect our country and treat them the way some of them were treated.All of you who went are somebody really special in our nation's history, and I look up to you as a great national resource. Thank you, one and all. Greg Reimer, Stk#7376.
Semper fi, Eddie!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
SStockDart
VIP Member

Greg, very well stated, and thank you very much.

I was one of those that was spit at, cursed, and called baby killers. Until a couple of weeks before I returned home in 1968, I couldn't understand why anyone would treat returning veterans that way...

We were doing what we were instructed and trained to do by our country.

Someday, I pray that all Americans understand that this country is not free without sacrificing by millions of servicemen.

In my opinion, the recent immigrants, legal or illegal, have no appreciation or understanding of that. That is the "divide" in this country.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
SStockDart
VIP Member

Hey Greg....

I sense something in your comment that I would like to address. You made comment about being too young and a draft number, don't be ashamed of that, I am sure you would have served if you had to.

Greg, when I was drafted, in the largest draft of the Viet Nam war, October, 1966......we had no lottery numbers, I certainly did not want to go, but...if you could breath, you were drafted into the Army or Marines.

Please do not feel ashamed that you did not have to serve. I am sure that most of us veterans feel the same.

What makes me turn red and angry, besides all of the protesters, are the anti Americans that went to Canada to avoid the draft. Then be allowed to return by chickenshi-t Carter.
And now all of the illegals that demand our freedoms.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

I too give a person a pass that were not drafted. I was 54 out 150 that was the way it was. I protested the war in Vietnam while I was in college. Disagreeing to the policies of our country was a Constitutional right that I took serious. But when the time came for me to go and I did receive orders to Fort Ord for recruit training. Instead of excepting a two years induction with the possibility of getting out in 19 months, I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself and joined on an open contract as a US Marine. I have no regrets in my 24 years of service to this great country but will never understand the lack of acknowledgement of the people in my hometown with regards to those that served during the Vietnam era. At one point I didn't even wear my uniform home, the comments like "oh your in the military?" was a stab in the back. But that was the past and I am now seeing people like Greg, Tony and Mr. O'Keefe from this site reaching into their pockets providing relief to our brothers and sister that served. As long as I have a breath in me I will reach back and provide assistance to those that served this great nation.

Last edited by Eddies66; 11-13-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Years ago, I worked at the LA County Mechanical Department main shop.We had a building manager who was a veteran. In discussing it with him, he mentioned that he had three Purple Hearts. He also said that he didn't discuss it. Later, one of his friends said he was part of a unit of around 140 soldiers. He was the ONLY survivor of that unit. He also said that he and three friends went out one evening a few weeks or so after his discharge and some little liberal puke made a disparaging remark about him for serving. All he knew is that it took all three of his friends to pull him off the antagonist. He thumped him bad enough that they got out of there ASAP before any heat got there. Apparently, there was one of the little basket of failures that needed a lesson in how to properly respect our veterans. Long may our flag wave over those who served.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,691 Times in 851 Posts

Having served during the war as a medic (not on the line but close enough) I've had many years to reflect on my service and the sacrifices paid by so many. Two experiences that stand out is my first visit to "the wall" and the other is during the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. As distinctly different as those two are they are equally powerful. One starkly demonstrates the utter futility and waste of war that is so often the case and the other where regardless of how conflict may or may not be justified, those who answered the call deserve out greatest respect and are to be honored in all regards. Those who "take a knee" or don't remove their hats really don't get what this country is all about. Hopefully, one day they will wake up.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

In retrospect,looking back on the very real stories depicted here,some things come to mind-the people who called you bad names upon your return(baby killer) were the most liberal offscouring this country has had. Also, to add to their hypocrisy, aren't they pro-abortion? Also, I visited the traveling wall with my wife when it was set up in Covina Park around ten or so years ago,and that is the most somber emotion stirring tear jerker of a sight that ever existed. Those are real people with real lives and real situations that are etched into that surface. I will never forget it or the way that it made me feel.Also, I never really gave it much thought regarding not being drafted,I worked,put myself through school,and was quite busy during those years and beyond, and I guess I never took the time to think about it. I was born in 1954 and nobody my age was conscripted. Yes, I would have gone. There is something special about all you veterans, and I look up to all of you. Thanks again for your service.