HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
SG6512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 27 Roadster re-body?

I have a standard body 27 (Spitzer chassis) and thinking about converting to 63 Vette or early camaro body. It doesn't look to be all that involved, but thought i would see if anyone has done this recently. Was looking at Tim McAmis body, anyone have experience with them? How involved and what issues am i likely to run into with this project?
SG6512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: 27 Roadster re-body?

You may want to contact Suncoast race cars. He advertises some re-body conversions and I believe they build very good quality fiberglass bodies. He builds roadsters as well so there may be an advantage.

Bob
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
SG6512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Bob. I looked at Suncoast as well and am really undecided on which. I guess the motovating factor will be how much of a pain to properly mount one and what issues to look for. I have to strip the car to bare chassis already, so i was hoping to upgrade the body as well. I will reinstall the 27 body if this looks to be a PIA . Thanks again
SG6512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

First thing you need to do is measure the height of the shoulder hoop. some '27's are a little high.
Some of the newer bodies will need the rocker extended down to give a decent apperance.
I put a Suncoast 2K Vette body on Iggy Boicesco's Brogie roadster,and other than extending the rockers down about 2 1/2" ,it 's not much different than mounting a body on a chassis built for it.
You will find that the opening for the driver is most likely going to be too far to the outside of the body to center up with the cage and driver, but a little slicing and dicing on the fiberglass will fix that.
Someone with reasonable fab skills will have no problem with it.
Charlie Kanopec has a Spitzer that has been refitted with a Suncoast '63 Vette body, and it fits fairly well.