HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Barney B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Looking for converter thoughts

I run a Hughes GM95 78C-1/4 in my dragster,(I own two of them) 548 BBC makes 840 HP, 4 link Undercover. My question is MPH. I run 7.80's at 167-168, I run 8.90's @ 165-167. I have seen same ET cars run more MPH.
Could my converter be improved to give me more MPH or is this normal?
Thanks for you thoughts, Barney
Barney B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Barney B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for converter thoughts

Come on guys, some one has to have some thoughts on this. Kevin? are ya out there?
BB
Old 08-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

could be converter,could also be where your cam is degreed,could also be gears,tire size .
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Barney B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bryan, thank you for your thoughts. I am thinking the converter could be improved for my combo but not sure. I run 33.5 x 17 x 16 tires and a 4.10 gear. What has me puzzled is the MPH is almost the same for wide open vs on the stop. Seems like a lot of RPM going through the traps like it has a lot of slip, right around 7400, I shif at 7000.
Thanks again, Barney
Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Johnny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Barney,

Looks like you run a pretty big tire on a 7.80 digger, there's nothing wrong with that, just don't expect to run with the 33/16.5/15 crowd when it comes to MPH. It looks like you are spinnin a little high in the traps. It could be converter issues, camshaft design, intake/carb, high gear clutches or lots of other gremlins. I'm no converter expert buy I would try www.selecttransmissions.com and talk to Eddie Sr./Jr. These guys are Super Comp/Gas racers that compete almost every weekend. They are in NY, a lot closer that AZ or CA. Just my two cents.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Dustin Chase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its expensive but put a race pak in it. It will tell you what you need to know. I moved from super gas to comp elim this year. Same car. 34 chev roadster. then, 350 490 horse SBC on the stop for 2.50 9.90's at 142 to 144mph. Now so far 9,70's at 134 with a four cyl. Same weight. Car wont get out of its own way in the sixty foot. spin bog spin bog, once i get that figured out i will be faster. Without the stop on when you leave you are probably spinning the tires on the launch, even though your 60' maybe faster by a bit you are loosing your et and mph at the hit of the throttle. We are movving from a 31.5/13.5/15 to a 30/10.5/15 and should be faster. big tires are not always better.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Dustin!

I am intrigued by your new Comp venture! I bought a '34 Chevy (a former BSR car) and am now running in SG. Do you know who built your body? What are you running for motor in the car now?

Barney, apologize for hijacking your post. Hope you find the right convertor combo.

Mike Ferstl
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Dustin Chase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: Looking for converter thoughts

The car was actually a B/SR run by jeff Krugg. I ran it in S/G for five races then put a four cyl. in it. The car was built by Gary Hansen and updated by Jerry bickel. It is a great car It goes straight with one finger on the wheel. The motor is half of a prostock motor with a reher and morrison head and DRCE2 block. and coan 3 speed. This comp thing is harder than it looks. We just got finished a few hours ago testing at the Texas Motorplex and are very happy with the results.

The only thing I hated about the car in S/G was the stagger. Getting a good light was hard and I used O delay. Now I leave on the second bulb and pull .02's to .03's