HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts
Default 1996 powerstroke

I found a nice used 1996 F350 powerstroke dually with 140k miles on it in nice condition. Price is right. Just looking for input on what to expect as far as power and towing ability. I have a 40 ft gooseneck. I will be using it as a work truck primarily and short tows to the races. Long tows will be done with my toter. I had a 99 Powerstroke dually and it was a powerhouse. How does the 96 model compare.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: 1996 powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I found a nice used 1996 F350 powerstroke dually with 140k miles on it in nice condition. Price is right. Just looking for input on what to expect as far as power and towing ability. I have a 40 ft gooseneck. I will be using it as a work truck primarily and short tows to the races. Long tows will be done with my toter. I had a 99 Powerstroke dually and it was a powerhouse. How does the 96 model compare.

Thanks,

40ft single deck or 40ft stacker? Dually or single rear wheel? I know it sounds like a crazy question but you would be surprised at what I see on a daily basis. 40' single deck with a car and golf cart and the rest of the stuff you need to go racing no problem. I just winched one out of the median
at the I64 I57 interchange last spring that was pulling what was a pretty nice brand new stacker. It was not a good idea surprised he made it as far as he did with it. Keep the oil changed in it and be nice to it and it will live till at least 500K mi.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

40 ft single deck.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

I think you will be fine. Would not bother me one bit to pull one long distance with that truck. Before I got my toter stacker. I have a 98 GMC dually that I pulled a 48' single deck with. And that powerstroke makes alot more power than my 454 does. Brakes are OK on those trucks too.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
FrankChastain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default 1995 powerstroke

Rob, this is along time ago, but here goes. I bought a brand new F350 crew cab PowerStroke back in 95. A great vehicle and pulled a full 35’ RV camper with it. Pull like a dream with diesel mileage at 14 mpg running @ 65 mph and 18 mpg empty. The only problem I had was in 95 Ford decided to use oil to drive the diesel pump witch created heat and when you drove for a while and stop, with it idling it would skip. Ran like a John Deer three cylinder. The folks at Long Lewis in BHM work their butt’s off trying to fix it and finally got an engineer from Ford to come down and take a look. He sent me a letter stating about the oil pump that created bubbles in the diesel fuel that caused the skip and recommended a oil supplement from Ford. It worked... They furnished me with the supplement until I sold the truck in 97. A great truck with ride, towing, looks and mileage, too. Just thought I would pass this along to ya....Frank

Last edited by FrankChastain; 08-04-2013 at 07:19 AM.
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Default Re: 1995 powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankChastain View Post
Rob, this is along time ago, but here goes. I bought a brand new F350 crew cab PowerStroke back in 95. A great vehicle and pulled a full 35’ RV camper with it. Pull like a dream with diesel mileage at 14 mpg running @ 65 mph and 18 mpg empty. The only problem I had was in 95 Ford decided to use oil to drive the diesel pump witch created heat and when you drove for a while and stop, with it idling it would skip. Ran like a John Deer three cylinder. The folks at Long Lewis in BHM work their butt’s off trying to fix it and finally got an engineer from Ford to come down and take a look. He sent me a letter stating about the oil pump that created bubbles in the diesel fuel that caused the skip and recommended a oil supplement from Ford. It worked... They furnished me with the supplement until I sold the truck in 97. A great truck with ride, towing, looks and mileage, too. Just thought I would pass this along to ya....Frank

Bruno Masell (not real sure on spelling) he is a comp eliminator guy. Has a tv show where they show you how to fix modify trucks. One whole episode was about the ford diesels and the pump/injector problems that they can have. EGR delete and all that stuff too I believe. They sell some kind of stuff to put in higher mileage trucks to help with problems that they are having. One product goes in the diesel and the other in the engine oil. Been so long since I have seen it I cant even remember the details of what all they did, the products that they used on the truck they fixed or even the name of the show LOL. But they fixed one up on there and from what they said it turned out good. The two biggest things you can do to make them live a long and happy life in my opinion are. 1. Keep the oil changed and do the regular maintenance. 2. Leave them alone and be nice to them. Cant tell you how many Farm kids around here get their dads truck when he gets a new one. And the first thing they do is buy a tuner and put the program in that gives it the max output it will give and smoke like a freight train, and then run the piss out of them. The next thing you know they are having problems of one sort or another or they hurt them real bad. I am in a bad spot with one right now that needs a engine due to big time damage. I was watching a friend pull his farm stock pulling tractor. They had some truck classes there too. Next thing I know one of my customers kids was out there. It was impressive what it was doing. Right up till it came apart in dramatic fashion LOL. Boy told dad it just happened going down the road. Boom she blew up dad. LOL