HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #81
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

Looking good Kelly. On your base adjustment Allen/extension, paint 2 lines 180 deg apart different colors. That way you can count half turns of base. With the engine and trans in the car, you may need to have a second person depress the clutch peddle so you can check clutch air gap. Or modify a paint roller extention pole to fit between the peddle and steering wheel. Then it's a 1 person procedure! The peddle should be super light to depress. Also add a spring to retract the clutch fork and to take the slack out of the cable. The spring on my car is attached with a small D ring to the trans crossmember and to the fork next to the cable. It has just enough tension to take the slack out of the cable. This also prevents the TOB from riding against the clutch levers when the peddle is not depressed. Otherwise the weight of the peddle will pull the TOB into the levers.

Money well spent on having that window in the bellhousing too!! Keep up the great progress. Everything is always fix one thing and screw yourself on something else! That's part of the fun.

Sean

Last edited by Sean Marconette; 01-05-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Sean Marconette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #82
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Everything is always fix one thing and screw yourself on something else! That's part of the fun.
Thats the the story of my life!

Thanks for the tips.
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #83
dmir55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buy the Dick Miller book "Hook and Launch". Read the part about Ford four link rear suspensions. Than compare his parts to yours. Eds bars are the best we have tried. And we have tried them all. Work on the boosters too. You can run any booster in your carb. And the right ones will make a huge difference.
dmir55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #84
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

What's going on here?
I heard the engine made good power ;-)
Old 04-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #85
Shadylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
What's going on here?
I heard the engine made good power ;-)
Hey Mark
At times I get a little discouraged after reading some of the negative posts about NHRA and drag racing in general. I haven't raced since 1982 and competitively since 1971. I know that drag racing is not like it was 'back in the day' but I still go to races so I also know it can be fun. Seems like some people get caught up in what I think of as the small things like parking, I don't know maybe it's a bigger deal than I think it is. I thought racing was supposed to be enjoyable, you get to hang out with your friends and make some new ones along the way. I have no idea if my car and I can be competitive, I hope so but I'll keep trying until I'm not having fun or I'm broke.
I hope to start racing some divisional races in the southwest for now. Looks like the folks in Tucson are doing a good job with their S/SS association, might be fun to make it down there sometime.

Now for an update. I work on the car most weekdays, seems like it never goes fast enough.

Carpet is in, trying to get the interior parts painted and installed. Some of the plastic parts for this model Fairmont are hard to find.

Glass is in as well as the moldings.

I got my ring and pinon back from Cryo & Rem (Thanks to Terry & Rex at Finished Racing). My model 8.8 rear differential doesn't have a provision for a spreader, so I built one out of angle iron and 1/2 all thread. Works pretty good, giving .004 to .005 extra width for installing the carrier.

Installed the engine/clutch/transmission. Wired it up and it even runs!

Slicks are mounted and bolted up. I have to use a small tire because of wheel well clearance issues. 28 tall M/T radials.

Next will be bolting on the body sheet metal, grille, headlights, etc.
Should tackle that in a couple of weeks.

Kelly

Last edited by Shadylane; 05-07-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #86
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Looking great,Kelly
I know there are a few guys here that are really looking forward to seeing your car go down the track.
You've got to make it to Wild Horse for the Association race in September.
Let me know if you are coming down this way sooner.
Oh, and don't worry about the stacking and parking thing. That's just a bunch of grumpy old guys carrying on. ;-)
We never have a problem. Just ease in there whenever. The smaller the rig, the less the problem.
See you soon.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #87
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Your making progress! A couple of things to consider. A momentary button to turn on the fuel pump for the fuel sample. And a ballast bar, depending on how light you were able to get the car. A ballast box will not get you to your natural weight, if the car is really light. Let me know if you want more info.

Sean
Sean Marconette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #88
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

Not sure how happy the radials are going to be on a stick car. I tried it a few years ago, about every 4th- 5th run it would blow them off with no possibility of recovery. I had to run them down to around 12 lbs, wouldn't work at all at the typical 20 lbs that the auto guys run. I don't know of any stick cars that are having any luck with this.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #89
Shadylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
A momentary button to turn on the fuel pump for the fuel sample. And a ballast bar, depending on how light you were able to get the car. A ballast box will not get you to your natural weight, if the car is really light.

Sean
Sean, I already put the momentary button on the car. I'll work on the ballast bar idea.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #90
Shadylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Not sure how happy the radials are going to be on a stick car. I tried it a few years ago, about every 4th- 5th run it would blow them off with no possibility of recovery. I had to run them down to around 12 lbs, wouldn't work at all at the typical 20 lbs that the auto guys run. I don't know of any stick cars that are having any luck with this.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Since my car is a fairly light, low HP car, I'm hoping they will work. They came recommended by a couple of guys. Guess I'll find out.
Thanks