HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
Bill Grubbs

Liked 454 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Racepak short record

When do you shut off your ignition switch? are you running an alternator? How is the unit set to stop recording? RP will truncate the file backwards several seconds if the power is lost to the "black box".

On our SS car with the Smartwire system. I have the RP wire latched on for 10 seconds past ignition and/or record cutoff. This way if the driver cuts power because of a problem the full event is recorded as opposed to losing the last 5-10 seconds of the run where the event happened.

Without using the Smartwire, the RP draws so little power if there is no O2 sensors. One could wire it directly to the Master Cutoff switch. Then the record button could be tied to the ignition switch. This way the RP always has power(so long as the MC switch is on), and will record only when the ignition is on and the record button is pushed. Best of both worlds!

Also the recording may shut off at the same event...not time. For instance, (example only) the RP may stop recording when oil pressure is less than 30 psi. In this instance the RP will record an entire run and all the way back to the pits during qualifying. However during eliminations if you dump your opponent really hard at the line, the oil pressure may drop to 25 psi and the RP will stop recording in this case. As you see in this example the RP stops recording at the same place (loss of oil pressure), but not at the same time or spot on the track.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Grubbs; 08-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The ignition switch supplies the 12V when it is on. The problem occurs about 50% of the time so far. It is better than last year since I replaced the SD card.
Bob
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The ignition switch supplies the 12V when it is on. The problem occurs about 50% of the time so far. It is better than last year since I replaced the SD card. If it makes a difference, the O2 drops off first.

Bob
Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
Bill Grubbs

Liked 454 Times in 60 Posts

Does the O2 always drop off at the same point prior to the end of recording?

Are you using a switch panel, or a stock key switch?

Are the O2 heater wires wired through the switch? The wires that power the heaters should be connected to a buss or "hot" stud. the heaters are turned on by the "black box when it receives power; not when the record button is pushed.

Are you using relays on any wires?

Any circuit breakers?

It really sounds like the "Black Box" and maybe more are loosing power from a bad connection/switch/relay/wire.

I did have a friend recently track the same problem down to a bad main cable. He swapped in a spare cable and all was right in the universe again. this is the only instance I know of or even heard of where this was the problem. RP just makes a great product.

Any problems I have had have been due self induced programing issues, or sensors themselves going bad.

Sensors will occasionally go bad (4 sensors in 15 years) but I consider them to be expendable for our applications.

If you wish to discuss this quicker give me a call @ 716.nine.nine.seven.916oh

Bill
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #15
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Did you ever resolve this issue? What is the battery voltage as it quits recording?
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Still have not resolved the issue. It can not be duplicated in the garage. The logger registers 13.6 volts when it cuts our. The O2 cuts out 3 seconds earlier. Going through the wiring and grounding next.

Bob
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Have you tried not connecting the O2 sensors?
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I will try that the next outing.

Bob
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #19
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Smile Re: Racepak short record

I believe the problem is corrected. During the winter I change the push button switch that came with the Racepak with a momentary toggle. I also moved it from the delay box mount at the shifter to the switch panel over my head. I have 11 runs so far, all full recordings.

Bob