HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #51
Michael K

Liked 62 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: horsepower welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wong View Post
The combination in question is an IRON HEAD 440 4bbl rated at 350 hp not 345 hp like you are looking at. Everyone can throw darts at Mopars but I can write a list until next week on how stock eliminator has been diluted and softened. Take a good look before you say any other brand has not been given plenty of gifts too. It took 20 years for some of the combinations to get all the horsepower off, ie 426 street wedge.

I can't recall anyone even running the 440 4bbl before it was dropped to 350 quite some time ago.
Michael K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #52
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

The " Private Lee " ran with a 440 and AVS carb in E/SA.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #53
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Everyone can throw darts at Mopars but I can write a list until next week on how stock eliminator has been diluted and softened. Take a good look before you say any other brand has not been given plenty of gifts too. It took 20 years for some of the combinations to get all the horsepower off, ie 426 street wedge.
Paul, please enlighten me, you don't have to write a list until next week but maybe give me 5 minutes and show me just what combos were given aluminum heads that never came with them, aluminum intakes that never came with them and what combos were given more HP. back in one shot than than some of the BB Mopars? Not even the 302 2V FFFords.
And while we're at it, can you please take just 2 minutes to explain just when the rule covering aluminum heads changed to make the aluminum heads a totally different combo instead of a replacement for a rare/ hard to find original iron casting at a 10 HP penalty?

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #54
Paul Wong

Liked 379 Times in 72 Posts

Billy,
The FE FFFords was probably the start of the downfall of pure stock vehicles. Aluminum intakes, aluminum heads, big oil pans, paper cams, rocker arms and on and on. I was knee-deep in this with my Cobra Jet Torino with a fresh engine off the Dyno with a cam that was 40 thousandths small overnight. This was all over two decades ago.

Long before the 383 Mopars I remember a 62 Vette being made a player overnight. Now there are combinations slowly becoming killers that no one even notices. Watch out for things like stick iron headed cobra jet mustangs.

I can't agree more with the idea we will dilute the sport into stock appearing from the outside bracket race.

I would be more than happy to make all my cars "stock" and start checking overlap, valve spring pressure, stock transmissions etc but that time has passed.

Send me the Nova for two reasons. I like the car and I will use the rules given us to get it to the correct horsepower. As much as you hate the rules given us in short time it would be where you want it.

Last edited by Paul Wong; 01-10-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Paul Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #55
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Here we are bickering between the brands like old times while NHRA is trying to do the opposite with generic Pro Stockers. I love it
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #56
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Billy,
The FE FFFords was probably the start of the downfall of pure stock vehicles. Aluminum intakes, aluminum heads, big oil pans, paper cams, rocker arms and on and on. I was knee-deep in this with my Cobra Jet Torino with a fresh engine off the Dyno with a cam that was 40 thousandths small overnight. This was all over two decades ago.

Long before the 383 Mopars I remember a 62 Vette being made a player overnight. Now there are combinations slowly becoming killers that no one even notices. Watch out for things like stick iron headed cobra jet mustangs.

I can't agree more with the idea we will dilute the sport into stock appearing from the outside bracket race.

I would be more than happy to make all my cars "stock" and start checking overlap, valve spring pressure, stock transmissions etc but that time has passed.

Send me the Nova for two reasons. I like the car and I will use the rules given us to get it to the correct horsepower. As much as you hate the rules given us in short time it would be where you want it.
I knew that you were going to bring up the FE FFFords. So way back in ancient history, the FFFord guys were having lunch with the Tech guys and now the Mopar guys are? At least all of the Stocker FFFords are still carrying a HP penalty of some sort for using the replacement heads. So I guess that we'll just keep repeating the mistakes of history until we are history.

I'll give you the 62 Corvette but how many were actually built? It's still apparently not THAT good a combo for one reason or another. And it didn't have a replacement aluminum head until last week and it will probably never have a replacement intake.

And speaking of intakes, how were the LD4B and LD340, intakes that were advertised as aftermarket manifolds in a Chrysler Hustle Stuff Parts catalog approved for/as Stock? And using the same premise, why haven't the B/RB intakes that are advertised in the same catalog not approved for/as Stock?
I think the only combo being built faster than B/RB Mopars is 302/2V FFFords.

I DO believe you when you say that you would make all of your stuff "Stock" again but has the time passed? Or has the time come for the Racers to start insisting that the Tech Dept. start doing their job again?

I like all of my toys and as far as the Nova, I appreciate your offer to "get it to the correct horsepower" but it's just fine the way it is. I know how to play the "game", I just won't PLAY the "game". I don't want to take all of the challenge away.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #57
Tom P

Liked 208 Times in 81 Posts

Give it a few years and that 302 2V intake will get superceded by an Edelbrock Super Victor and the Motorcraft two barrel gets superceded by half a split Dominator.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #58
Race Clean

Liked 128 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
Here we are bickering between the brands like old times while NHRA... loves it
Mike
Divide and conquer
Race Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #59
4406mopar

Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts

Wanna talk about Blatant gifts?

Powerglide =TH200

Let's give all combos an extra forward gear. LOL you guys
4406mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-21-2018, 02:43 AM   #60
Monte Howard

Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4406mopar View Post
Wanna talk about Blatant gifts?

Powerglide =TH200

Let's give all combos an extra forward gear. LOL you guys
That rule was actually changed because the early Drag Paks where powerglide only combos and the Drag Pak owners wanted to be able to put 3-speeds in there Drak Paks to be competitive with the COPO and Cobra Jets.thanks for the gift Mopar