HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: SS/GT classes transmission?

I'm not sure about this. In GT weight is linked to the transmission you want to run but I'm not sure a factory match is required in the finished car.

The rules state weight is determined using the heaviest weight gas engine with appropriate transmission available. So to find the shipping weight of a car for stick or auto application, find that car's heaviest weight in either stick or auto for the weight factor.
There is no transmission section in the GT section, just shield requirements. That means you look back to SS which reads any model trans same make as body with forward gear limits. Nowhere does it state stick must be stick or auto must be auto for any flavor of SS. Adapter plates are allowed. You can bolt up a trans that's not designed for your bellhousing.

If you are allowed to drop a motor from a '60s station wagon into the "trunk" of a Cobalt, why can't you bolt an auto to a stick only engine like a '70 BOSS 302 Mustang? In one, you rebuild the entire car. In the second you change the trans/bellhousing.
Liked
Old 06-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
, but no 5 speed in an original 4 speed combo.
Uhm, is that the regular SS classes as well?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #13
Ernie Neal

Liked 301 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noll View Post
Uhm, is that the regular SS classes as well?
Yes

Ernie Neal
SS 354
Ernie Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #14

Liked 925 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
I'm not sure about this. In GT weight is linked to the transmission you want to run but I'm not sure a factory match is required in the finished car.

The rules state weight is determined using the heaviest weight gas engine with appropriate transmission available. So to find the shipping weight of a car for stick or auto application, find that car's heaviest weight in either stick or auto for the weight factor.
There is no transmission section in the GT section, just shield requirements. That means you look back to SS which reads any model trans same make as body with forward gear limits. Nowhere does it state stick must be stick or auto must be auto for any flavor of SS. Adapter plates are allowed. You can bolt up a trans that's not designed for your bellhousing.

If you are allowed to drop a motor from a '60s station wagon into the "trunk" of a Cobalt, why can't you bolt an auto to a stick only engine like a '70 BOSS 302 Mustang? In one, you rebuild the entire car. In the second you change the trans/bellhousing.

Except when you try to put that Boss 302 in a different body to run GT, it only gives you stick class
Stick only engine combos are only allowed to run in a stick class. Same goes for the 85 mustang carb 302.

Duane

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 AM   #15
FireSale
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Except when you try to put that Boss 302 in a different body to run GT, it only gives you stick class
Stick only engine combos are only allowed to run in a stick class. Same goes for the 85 mustang carb 302.

Duane
I have heard this numerous times on Class Racer but I can't find anything in the rules to support it. I simply can't find any rule restricting stick only showroom motors from being used with auto trans cars in GT.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #16
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
I have heard this numerous times on Class Racer but I can't find anything in the rules to support it. I simply can't find any rule restricting stick only showroom motors from being used with auto trans cars in GT.
The reference at the beginning of the Super Stock section:

"Reserved for foreign and domestic factory-produced automobiles and sports cars. Classified per NHRA performance rating as listed in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide. Only those cars listed in the guide are eligible."

The reference at the beginning of the Super Stock GT section:

"Reserved for foreign and domestic factory-production two-door coupes, two-door sedans, sports cars, convertibles, or station wagons with any production V-8 engine of the same make. Year of engine optional. Only those engines and/or bodies listed in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide are eligible
for competition."

You can view the class guide on NHRAracer.com for the 1970 Ford as an example. The GT section references both manual and automatic transmissions. Look under the 302 column and you will see only HP factors for the manual referenced and none for the automatic for OEM heads or replacement heads.

Which means the manual transmission is the only one in the guide and eligible for competition. There is no factor if you wanted to run an automatic so it wouldn't be eligible.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

There a few of us that run those combinations that state STICK only in the guide, so they do exist.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #18
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Sean, so u r running an automatic in a stick only GT combo?

Thank You
Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #19
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannymen View Post
Sean, so u r running an automatic in a stick only GT combo?

Thank You
In my signature it states I run in SS/N, it is a traditional stick car. I was clarifying that there are a few combos in the guide that are stick only. Hope that makes sense?

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:17 AM   #20
FireSale
VIP Member

[QUOTE=KRatcliff;616929]The reference at the beginning of the Super Stock section:

"Reserved for foreign and domestic factory-produced automobiles and sports cars. Classified per NHRA performance rating as listed in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide. Only those cars listed in the guide are eligible."

The reference at the beginning of the Super Stock GT section:

"Reserved for foreign and domestic factory-production two-door coupes, two-door sedans, sports cars, convertibles, or station wagons with any production V-8 engine of the same make. Year of engine optional. Only those engines and/or bodies listed in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide are eligible
for competition."

You can view the class guide on NHRAracer.com for the 1970 Ford as an example. The GT section references both manual and automatic transmissions. Look under the 302 column and you will see only HP factors for the manual referenced and none for the automatic for OEM heads or replacement heads.

This is a good reply and I thank you for your time, but those opening paragraphs refer to engines and bodies, not transmissions. The 69 BOSS 392 is not listed as a stick or auto motor, just 392/290. I looked up the 69 Mustang Fastback and it isnt listed as a stick or auto car. Just 302/290 with a BOSS footnote. Note that I am referring to the Official NHRA Rules and Guides only.
Im not trying to be difficult, just looking for a bulletproof answer to the trans question in GT.