HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Questions on lifter bore correction

Caution on using anyone's fixtures. I bought a BHJ for a BBC years ago and after getting blueprints from Chev, found that the BHJ was out as much as most blocks. Then you have to wrestle with the assumption that the factory design and specs are the most optimum for valve train geometry. At least you will get them consistent.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Caution on using anyone's fixtures. I bought a BHJ for a BBC years ago and after getting blueprints from Chev, found that the BHJ was out as much as most blocks. Then you have to wrestle with the assumption that the factory design and specs are the most optimum for valve train geometry. At least you will get them consistent.
This is a good point, In most cases the factory design is not even close to optimum, as I said earlier specifically with canted valve heads

This was not brought up in the roller cam thread but it is a big reason why some guys are chewing thru lots of valvetrain parts..... did somebody mention.... "lifters"

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 02-02-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Jeff, if your Olds 307 block has the .921 lifter, the block is for a hydraulic roller lifter, not a conventional hydraulic/flat tappet lifter.

According to the NHRA engine specs, the legal block for your HP rating, has the standard .875 hydraulic/flat tappet lifter and not the .921 hydraulic roller.

Also, the .875 Chevy lifter is not the same as the Olds/Pontiac lifter. They have different oil band locations.
Thank you for the info. I swore they were .921. Just finishing painting 1 car and next is 307 olds motor for wagon.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #14
Allen Sherman

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Listen to Dwight's advice, the bhj fixtures are about as bad as just leaving the block alone, we have a CNC mill at my shop that we do this job on, can't beat a CNC machine when it comes to exacting tolerances. We only charge $450 though and seeing that others are charging $500-700 to do it on a manual mill I might need to go up on pricing...lol
Allen Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Sherman View Post
Listen to Dwight's advice, the bhj fixtures are about as bad as just leaving the block alone, we have a CNC mill at my shop that we do this job on, can't beat a CNC machine when it comes to exacting tolerances. We only charge $450 though and seeing that others are charging $500-700 to do it on a manual mill I might need to go up on pricing...lol
BHJ fixtures were like hooked on phonics,worked for me.LOL
Allen,
Ten years ago when I did lifter bores w/BHJ we got $375.00 SBC $425.00 BBC including bushings, by time took and bushings was how we come up with those numbers,CNC you can walk away some,manual machine pretty much stuck there.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
GallopinGhost

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Allen, Without the fixture, what do you use for a reference, and how do you choose the angle ? thanks
Old 02-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #17
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopinGhost View Post
Allen, Without the fixture, what do you use for a reference, and how do you choose the angle ? thanks
Factory blueprints and a CNC is the best.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 AM   #18
Allen Sherman

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry I'm slow responding, I don't usually get on here while I'm at the shop, but Dwight answered the question already, we have factory blueprint locations programmed into the CNC, and if needed we just make program changes if an angle or location change is required...
Allen Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #19
GallopinGhost

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Thanks guys. Looking at some dated drawings, w/o dimensions no less, The BBM lifter looks to be 90 degrees to the deck, so at least for this block using the crank and cam centerline to swing the angle, then line up with cam centerline should work. I do dimensional inspection work for a living, so I enjoy understanding how this stuff is done.

Quote:
Sorry I'm slow responding, I don't usually get on here while I'm at the shop, but Dwight answered the question already, we have factory blueprint locations programmed into the CNC, and if needed we just make program changes if an angle or location change is required...
Old 02-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #20
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:

I do all my blocks in a HAAS CNC machine and we only charge 275.00 for machining lifter bores LOL. I guess I will have to go up.
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote