Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: Legal seats for stock eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Mike, I don't know about Bobby's car, but a roll bar is not required in N/S(A)
Mark, I'm sure a lot of cars that don 't have to have a roll bar have them anyway. My car my wind up in N/SA but I plan on a cage anyway. My question is if a bar/cage is not required, but is present, is it still required to brace the back of the seat to the roll bar? If so, only aftermarket seats or factory seats too?

I'm more curious regarding my bracket car actually; it doesn't require a cage or bar but it has one anyway.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Dave,
With my stock seats, they were not braced to the rear bar. But they were almost touching the bar, I think about an inch gap. Between D3, 4, and 5 going through tech, it was never an issue.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
Dave Muller

Thanks, Sean, that's good to hear. No tech inspector has ever said anything about my seats in a year and a half either in the bracket car.

Then again, no one had said anything about my battery hold-down for several years before the tech guy at Bakersfield at the Div. 7 Summit Finals said it was no good.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #24
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Have to wonder how many racers would invest in the "safer" race seats if they were required to be at least as heavy as the OE seats they removed.
Rory, So it looks like the aforementioned 69 Camaro lost 30 pounds in the middle of the car...for safety.
I have to wonder what the other 30 pound loss was for?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Muller View Post
Mark, I'm sure a lot of cars that don 't have to have a roll bar have them anyway. My car my wind up in N/SA but I plan on a cage anyway. My question is if a bar/cage is not required, but is present, is it still required to brace the back of the seat to the roll bar? If so, only aftermarket seats or factory seats too?

I'm more curious regarding my bracket car actually; it doesn't require a cage or bar but it has one anyway.
We don't have one installed yet but we plan on doing it over the winter. I got one from S&W a few months back. I will probably do the seats too, just alot of Kirkeys to choose from. I need something with a higher seat lol.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #26
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Muller View Post

Safety for safety sake isn't addressed in the rules but my logic in caging my bar required Mustang was to follow cage requirements if I was going to install one. Even got a book from SFI to follow.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #27
foxy343

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry guys,

I was specifically asking how you run the safety belts to the rear bar on a high back bucket - stock seat. How do the belts stay up, and how do they keep being supported. I saw a few years back someone had cut an access hole in the seat for the belts to pass through. Is this legal, or is there another way to do this before cutting a hole in the stock seat? My solution was to make a n aluminim bracket to support seat and support belts at the same time. Thanks for replys
#1594 Stock
#1594 Super Street
foxy343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy343 View Post
Sorry guys,

I was specifically asking how you run the safety belts to the rear bar on a high back bucket - stock seat. How do the belts stay up, and how do they keep being supported. I saw a few years back someone had cut an access hole in the seat for the belts to pass through. Is this legal, or is there another way to do this before cutting a hole in the stock seat? My solution was to make a n aluminim bracket to support seat and support belts at the same time. Thanks for replys
That's the issue that prompted me to ditch the stock seats. The belts were held in position at the roll bar by a steel bar that kept the attachment points behind me, but the belts could still slip off my shoulders. I might have cut slots into the seats to feed the belts through but it didn't look like that would work on my seats (2nd gen Camaro). So I went to aftermarket seats with shoulder belt slots, and I'm much happier and more secure now.

And I did build that brace from the headrest to the roll bar, so it's a nice solid mount now.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #29
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

The only reason I put the seats in mine. ( Kirkey Pro Street ) I saved 60 pounds, right in the middle. To be fair, I feel more secure. They also locate, and retain a driver much better then a stock seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Rory, So it looks like the aforementioned 69 Camaro lost 30 pounds in the middle of the car...for safety.
I have to wonder what the other 30 pound loss was for?