HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
foxy343

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Legal seats for stock eliminator

Just wanted to make sure before ordering something I cant use. What aftermarket seats are legal in Stock Eliminator? I was looking at a pair of racing seats with built-in cutouts for the safety belts- PROCAR type seats for my 1975 H/SA Dodge Dart Sport, and was wondering what I would need to do to make them work (required bracing, belts,...?). I got the original high back buckets but it seems to me they aren't really made for the five point safety harnesses. What are you NHRA Stock guys doing right now? Thanks
#1594 Stock
#1594 Super Street
foxy343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts
Default Re: Legal seats for stock eliminator

The Procar seats are nice as far as mounting to a stock type track ,and for a street car,but you're giving away a lot of weight ,they are around 30 # compared to a Kirkey aluminum seat at around 17#.
The Kirkey also is much sturdier, no reclining back to fold in a crash situation.
As far as mounting , the seat back must be attached to the roll cage shoulder bar,and securely attached to the floor.....I always eliminate the seat tracks, they have no strength.
I just used a set of Kirkey's in a 69 Camaro Stocker that saved nearly 60# over the stock seats.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

I understand the motivation behind the seat change and it is not without merit. With all the work/changes I have done this year to our car I could have easily gone this route as well, but one look at these modern seats in a 60/70's era car was enough to deter me from that notion. They look absolutely hideous and out of place in the older cars no matter what is done in the manner of upholstery...not so much in the newer models. I suppose it all comes down to what one is willing to tolerate in the end for the sake of performance/safety concerns.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 09-04-2014 at 04:38 AM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Rich...I like your reasoning for staying with the OEM's...and trying to keep your car Stock!
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

If some of the folks using aftermarket seats could post pictures of them installed I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,493 Times in 426 Posts

I was just wondering this also, so are racing seats legal in stock? I originally wanted to keep my oem seats for the look but when I launch the seat kinda leans back and I have trouble seeing over the steering wheel as it is.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Dave1695

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I agree with Rich, racing seats look out of place in our older Stockers, and in most of the new cars as well. Yes they are an easy way to loose fifty or sixty pounds, but I my opinion they take away from the "stock" identity. Just my two cents.
Dave1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

I too hate seeing modern race seats in a 60s or 70s stocker, even though I understand the reasoning for using them. I like stock cars to look as stock as is reasonable. As every rule gets pushed and massaged, eventually you end up with a class like Pro Stock that is nothing like it started out.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

If I may, I'd like to add something that I experienced when the rules were changed to allow aftermarket "bucket" seats in stock. When I asked the NHRA Tech Department if I could replace the stock bench seat in my 'wagon, I was told no, because that model did not have a bucket seat option from the factory. I'm sure there are others out there who have the same situation facing them, so you may want to do some research of your own because the newer, safer seats may not be allowed.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
ATI Performance Products
Sponsor

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I was just wondering this also, so are racing seats legal in stock? I originally wanted to keep my oem seats for the look but when I launch the seat kinda leans back and I have trouble seeing over the steering wheel as it is.
I was very happy to see a real racing seat allowed in stock. Yes for weight, but mainly for safety. The seat belts are what protect you....the seat keeps you in place when you are driving. How do you think a 50 lb, recliner seat will fair when you hit the wall head on at 100? It will fold you up against your seat belt. Our Challenger came with amazingly heavy Viper seats that moved forward and back and reclined. When we had to run them, I got them in place and welded them in that position. I asked Bruce B when the rule came out and any pretty much any racing seat was now legal. I have Kirkey's in both our cars. They both have to be the same....or so the rule says. Not sure about bench seats....but if you wanted to change them and cited safety concern it should be allowed. Don't forget you might be running a 150 mph stocker that breaks an axle one day at the strip and comes at you. You are the ultimately the one responsible for your own safety.