HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Default Re: Caltrac's on Stock Eliminator

On a bias ply slick, we found that having the shocks on 3 with top hole and just touching worked the best on our home track, which has marginal track prep.
When we go to eddyville or topeka, we can tighten the shocks to 5 or 7, add a 1/2 lb of air and hook every run.
Run the shocks loose and you should see more consistency and you will have a little "delay" built in for getting closer to launch off the bottom bulb flash.
We ended up going to DA rear Afco shocks when the ranchos wore out. You need enough power to hit the tire and stay "on" the tire.
Dont try to take away power, you will suffer more.

Clark
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Monte Howard

Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts

Converter seems to be a little loose to me. 5500 would be ok with a three speed. I would suggest 5000. Looks like you shifted around 8000. Wow.... Try shifting a little lower.
I have the same combo and have a 1.98 low gear with a 5000 ATI converter with cal tracks and 60 ft. Around 1.43-1.45. Converter is real critical with the glide. I have two converters both 5000 stall. My ATI is .10 faster in 60 ft. Than my other brand. Who did you buy this car from?

Caltracs work great, but if the slapper bars were set up correctly it doesn't suprise me that you didn't see any gain.

Last edited by Monte Howard; 10-17-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Monte Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have my Cal tracs , in the lower hole, set to neutral, with me in the seat...car goes 1.44's , with 2300-2400 footbrake launch... 455 cubes, with 4.10 gear, ATI 8'' 4200ish, and qjet. Front end, is , Global west,Moroso springs, and Comp Eng shocks, front and rear... 80/20 front.. 50/50 rear...Car is very consistent, in 60'...

Last edited by brent flynn; 10-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.
brent flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Yeah, 8000rpm was a stretch on that run lol...usually shift about 7300rpm, but I'm used to using a shift lite which isnt in the car atm. Got a 5.14 gear on the way and planning to take the car to Bowling Green the 27th for a S/SS combo meet...probably the last trip to the track for us this year.

Most likely we will swap to a 3-speed metric this winter and maybe work on getting some disc brakes installed. I'll post up the results of the bar changes with the PowerGlide.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Began some work today on the car in preparation for Bowling Green and found some interesting things. The previous outing shown in the video suggested I shifted at 8000rpm and it crossed the stripe at 7000rpm...that was not the case. Working with the two-step this morning revealed the tachometer is reading about 800rpm high...that means I shifted at 7200rpm and crossed the line at 6200rpm. This also means the convertor is not flashing as high as it showed in the video.

With a new 5.14 gear in hand we proceeded to get the car in the air for the gear swap. Pulled the cover and found another shocker...the 5.57 gear with only 20 passes was wasted with a good handfull of shrapnel in the chunk. I had no clue from the previous trip to the track as it was smooth and quiet as could be. I was not present for the earlier gear change and began to question my partner about it. After some discussion it became apparent what had happened...they neglected to clean the cavity between the two pinion bearings of shrapnel from the first bad ring gear. Oh well, I will oversee the install of the 5.14 this time.

While in the air I moved the Caltrac bars to the upper hole...when back on the ground I will adjust both bars to a 1/8" gap with driver weight in car. Looking at the stock springs there is about a 1/2" difference in arch on the passenger side spring...closer to the link bar. May be time to replace both springs. Also eyeballing those shocks...

Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Yup, that is my combo. I have a question did I understand you are going with a 5.13 with a sb 350 with a pg? I would have assumed that you would run the 5.57 or if there is a gear in between? But, you will work through that. How did you find out your tach was off? I borrowed a friends MSD tester once and found some problems, also check your RPM chips for resistance, some do vary. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, did you win the round from the video? I like in car video's like that. It looks good.
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post

Yup, that is my combo. I have a question did I understand you are going with a 5.13 with a sb 350 with a pg? I would have assumed that you would run the 5.57 or if there is a gear in between? But, you will work through that. How did you find out your tach was off? I borrowed a friends MSD tester once and found some problems, also check your RPM chips for resistance, some do vary. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, did you win the round from the video? I like in car video's like that. It looks good.
Yes, going with a 5.14 for the 1/4-mile meet in Bowling Green this weekend. Found the tach issue testing the two-step...you can see in the video where it seemed I shifted at 8000rpm...there was a 7800rpm high side chip in it that run and it never dropped spark.

I posted this info in another thread, but be aware that Richmond Gear has a quality control issue on their ring/pinion sets. Since moving operations to Italy the distance stamped on the pinion head is drastically incorrect...no doubt the Italians are having issues converting from their metric system. Doing the math one would need a 1/4" shim under the pinion bearing lol. I suspect all versions of gears coming out of Italy will have this problem...this may prove very costly for Richmond in the end.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 10-24-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Rose Racing

Liked 140 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Sounds like you need a harder hit (assuming you have a good motor and loose enough converter) so you could try less preload and even going to top hole. I can post up the Caltrac guide if you don't have it.
Could you please post that up? thanks
Rose Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #19
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
HandOverFist
VIP Member

New Landrum 21-144SP mono-leafs installed...first impressions are a considerable increase in ride height. Caltrac shocks were a no show so we will run what we got. 5.14 gear installed and ready to roll for TnT tomorrow at Bowling Green...fingers crossed.