HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Caltrac's on Stock Eliminator

Recently acquired a 1967 Stock Eliminator and we are looking for a little guidance from those with a similar car and in the know. Car originally came with slapper bars and we just swapped them out for Caltracs. It is the 295hp/350 with a Powerglide running Hoosier radials...links are in the bottom holes with 2-flat preload on the passenger side. The car launches straight, but the 60' varies 1.50 to 1.53. Is this a normal set-up for this car or should we be running with the links in the upper holes?

(No external video's atm)
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
FLEMING

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Caltrac's on Stock Eliminator

I have the Caltrac setup on my car... It's bascially a stocker minus motor....Travis at Calvert told me footbraking to start in lower hole and put 1/4 turn of preload on EACH side with driver in car.. If u have there shocks set them on 7 or so... The front end is as important as the rear... Make sure the car has at least 5" of travel in the front end.. U want a free moving front end with either modified moog bushings or the afco greasable bushings and 1/2" longer ball joints on the top and a good shock.. U do all this it will hook in a mud hole.. I did all of the above to my car this winter and my car leaves with the front end up about 24" and carries the tires out past the tree... My car usually is in the 1.45 60' range... It's all about everything being free moving as well
FLEMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Thanks - Car is very loose in the front typical of most Stocker's. We have seen no difference or improvement in the way the car leaves vs the slapper bars that came on the vehicle...it launches basicly flat footed with little lofting of the front wheels.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

How many passes on tires or have they been setting? Don't have any radial experience but know some run bias in elimnations and use radials for heads up or class. Basics now you are staging same depth? Car should 60' ie. 1.500 quickest of day 1.509 worst would be good.The more consistent car is in 60' better off you'll be,gotta be able to 60 consistent before you can be consistent the rest of the way.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Probably 30 passes on the tires. I was thinking there would be some improvement over the slapper bars, but evidently they work just as well as the Caltracs on this car. I know the wheels won't pick up with the PG like it would with a 3-speed metric...was just wondering if the majority of similar cars were running the links in the lower or upper holes. Been running with 18psi during testing.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts

Sounds like you need a harder hit (assuming you have a good motor and loose enough converter) so you could try less preload and even going to top hole. I can post up the Caltrac guide if you don't have it.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Dave1695

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Try less preload, bottom hole is good, but you may have suspension bind if bars are too tight. I have a 67 with 355 HP crate motor and three speed. Once I found the sweet spot for all adjustments, my 60 foot dropped to mid 1.30's consistent.
Dave1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
HandOverFist
VIP Member

When it went together we made sure everything was greased, moved freely and didnt overly tighten the fasteners. Guess I will just try the upper hole for effect. Don't know if the video showing the tach during launch/run was of any help. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

I have found that when footbraking my cars that the top hole hits or reacts faster than the lower. But, it did not make a major change in performance for me. You might want to check your pinion angle also. I set mine up real simple. Car race ready gas driver etc. Turn both bars together until they touch the springs, then put 1/4 turn in both. Car leaves strait, simple. But I run a 69 350/255 3speed combo, not a stick or BB. I know that there are many people out there that could help if you have any question on the converter. It looks like it is flashing to approx 5800? I would assume that having more low gear in a PG and having the converter hit hard is crucial to 60' with a PG car. Also, did it sound like there was a slight lull at the top of the flash? I really like your car and the video. Let us know your progress.
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
I have found that when footbraking my cars that the top hole hits or reacts faster than the lower. But, it did not make a major change in performance for me. You might want to check your pinion angle also. I set mine up real simple. Car race ready gas driver etc. Turn both bars together until they touch the springs, then put 1/4 turn in both. Car leaves strait, simple. But I run a 69 350/255 3speed combo, not a stick or BB. I know that there are many people out there that could help if you have any question on the converter. It looks like it is flashing to approx 5800? I would assume that having more low gear in a PG and having the converter hit hard is crucial to 60' with a PG car. Also, did it sound like there was a slight lull at the top of the flash? I really like your car and the video. Let us know your progress.
Sounds like your car is just like our buddies '69 H/SA. He runs a 3-speed metric and it jerks the wheels pretty good...his bars are in the lower holes as well and our 60' times are similar, but his are consistent.

No doubt our car needs some sorting out. I believe the natural class for it is E/SA...it should be doing better than the current 7.40 it's running in the 1/8-mile. It had a broken 5.14 gear in it when we got the car...we replaced it with a 5.57 because that is what we had on hand at the time. We'll be going back to a 5.14 before spring for some 1/4-mile action. Torque convertor is supposedly a 5500 stall. The quadrajet is a minor mystery...the plugs appear lean even tho the primary jets are 68's and secondary rods are AX.