HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
RAGIDY57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Front end advice 68 camaro

HI, I know i dont post here but i figure i could get the best advice for what i want to know here.

I have a 80s early 90s style back half bracket car. I am trying to get the car to work better on bad tracks. If the prep is Great the car is Great. I feel like the front end is real tight. I know the car weights about 2550 without me in it.

The front end of the car is pretty much stock. A arm, drum brakes, steering box. car is currently a steel headed sbc.I do have QA1 single adjustable shocks and stock springs. I would like to put the tubular a arms on and disc brakes. I really need to upgrade the front end but money is an object and looking for the best bang for the buck .

So what parts and pieces to you suggest?

Main questions are what to choose between the QA1 coil over conversion kit and the santhuff.

Which Disc brakes to go with? rear are drums.

Should i change bushings and add a front end kit.

I want to cut the crossmember under the motor out and add a motor plate. Mainly so i can take the oil pan off while the motor is in the car.

Thanks
Tee

Last edited by RAGIDY57; 10-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.
RAGIDY57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Front end advice 68 camaro

I wouldn't bother with the coilovers, sure they look cool on a tube chassis but that ain't what you got.
Same with the tubular control arms they may be a few ounce's lighter but they don't make any difference to the geometry of the suspension .
How much weight on the front ? ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Heres my recipie...i had stock but brand new moog bushings in factory control arms when i first built the car but i recently changed to global west bushings. Very difficult to inatall and take a tonne of massaging to make them work smooth. The lowers were a breeze....the uppers collapse when they are pressed in and need to be honed out to operate smoothly through the travel. I dont think there was any et improvment from my moog bushings and the GW but i think being more solid helps hold the alignment better and it is a bit smoother to drive. So all in all its a good deal. Camaros like to be in the weeds in the front for some.reason.....maybe thats a small tire thing but i guess it cant hurt in a big tire back half car. Mine is so low in the front i had to go to a 2.25 offset wheel in the front to stop the tires from hitting the fenders. I have 5.5-6 inchest of front end travel which is pretty good for a stock control arm camaro. Moroso 47140 springs with one coil cut off gets it where it needs to be....bump stops in the lower arms for sure so you dont bottom the shock out and bend anything. Wilwood dynalite brakes are the best barr none....they go together very easy and they work great. Alignment....1/16 to 1/8 to max depending on how old your front end components are....new you can probably hug the 1/16 toe i would think and as much positive caster as possible. Ohh and the avco low friction.ball.joints are a good investment too. Very slick. And i also use calvert 90/10 shocks in the front. They seem to.work.ok.as well. I had comp.engineering 3 ways and liked them too. Im sure there is a better way to build a front end but this is a budget minded way to do it without getting into 3000 dollars in shocks and springs for a minimal gain. My car bounces at least twice when.it come down from the wheelstand but it never gets out of shape and always sets itself down straight. The two bounces keep me awake....hahahaha
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Global West Del-A-Lum bushings, Moog shafts, Moog long upper ball joints, Moog lower ball joints (both ball joints should be low friction), Strange or Wilwood bolt on disc brakes, stock small block no air front springs with 1 coil removed, or Moroso trick springs. Santhuff shocks. Cut all but 1/4" of rubber off of the travel stop under the upper control arm. Or take it all the way out. Cut all but 1/4" of rubber off of the lower bump stop.

You have to notch the crossmember, you cannot take it out completely, or the front end will flop around. There has to be something tying both sides together besides the engine if you run the stock front subframe and basically stock suspension.

Put your weight in the front seat, jack the car up 1-1/2" in the front, and align the front end there. As much positive caster as you can get (we've run 7 degrees) zero camber, and 1/16" toe in.

If you want to see how that all works, here you go:

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 10-11-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Alan Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
chris tinberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tee , i see you live in Rustburg Va. you are next door to the best front end guy in the country Gary Wisecarver give him a call 434-332-4511 he will solve any front end problem you have and you WILL NOT meet a nicer guy. he has done many 67-69 camaro's front ends including the one we had .and tell him the Tinbergs referred you . good luck chris
chris tinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
RAGIDY57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Guys. I know Gary well. I just didn't think he would want to see lil ole me when he has alot more higher in cars to deal with.

If i can remember ill post a youtube link of the car when i get a chance at home. Dang Ole work computers block out the good stuff.

I am going to email VMP and see if the scales are open next weekend for the Mac Race. That way i can have a good set of numbers to go buy when ordering stuff.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
RAGIDY57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and the crossmember i was thinking a small tube going from one end to the other. I have a friend that will do it for me if needed. I want to lighten it up but want to make it easier to remove the oil pan it needed.

Are there any smaller steering box that will bolt right up or is Rack and Pinion the only way to go.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What your contemplating won't be much if any lighter. I'd buy a tube frame kit .
---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
dussault.racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im building a B stick 69 camaro. After alot of research i went with, Afco bushings and low friction ball joints(half inch longer uppers).
Global west offset shafts.
After a 3 month wait and a G note i recived my santhuff front shocks.
I matched my front brakes to the Wilwood dynalites that came with my Moser rear.
Baer bump steer kit for outter tie rod ends.
Speed tech for solid body mount kit
dussault.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
RAGIDY57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Global West Del-A-Lum bushings, Moog shafts, Moog long upper ball joints, Moog lower ball joints (both ball joints should be low friction), Strange or Wilwood bolt on disc brakes, stock small block no air front springs with 1 coil removed, or Moroso trick springs. Santhuff shocks. Cut all but 1/4" of rubber off of the travel stop under the upper control arm. Or take it all the way out. Cut all but 1/4" of rubber off of the lower bump stop.

You have to notch the crossmember, you cannot take it out completely, or the front end will flop around. There has to be something tying both sides together besides the engine if you run the stock front subframe and basically stock suspension.

Put your weight in the front seat, jack the car up 1-1/2" in the front, and align the front end there. As much positive caster as you can get (we've run 7 degrees) zero camber, and 1/16" toe in.

If you want to see how that all works, here you go:

Alan you wouldnt have part numbers to the TRW-Moog parts would you...or even everything. If i go this route i would want to make sure i buy what i need the first time around.

thanks