HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stupid Pit Tricks

Weve all done them, things in the pits that most "sane" people would either not believe or wonder why.

I was talking with long time racer, and Max Wedge guy who has helped immensly on this project the mysterious "Mr M" and he was talking about someone back in the 70's with one guy jumping on either fender of a new car to wedge the car under the improvised lift to get the engine back in....my thought was "yeah so, sounds reasonable ( I would have pulled the tires and ran it up on drums or rotors" but , ive said before I can be a "hack" by nature. (Pits included in this case , Hotel Parking Lots, Parts Parking lots etc)

What are some of the sillier, stupider, and more awesome things you guys have done in the pits all in the name of MAKING it happen at all cost....

Modifications, improvments, etc.

I d love to hear some of the things the vet drag racers have done to make the pass. Smart repair items , duct tape rubber bands and tinfoil engineering.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Stupid Pit Tricks

I know a guy that sewed the gash in the tread of his slicks with carpet thread. Worked just fine!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
mike natoli

Liked 52 Times in 16 Posts
Cool Re: Stupid Pit Tricks

I'm not a believer in taking a chance of ruining or possibly delaying everyone elses day at the races by doing something and it goes very wrong... I have put the car in the lights knowing it was hurt and just patched it up to put it in the lights and waited to see if the other car red lit than shut it down. It was in 1975 Westhampton NY second time shot exploded the front yoke took out the back of the tailshaft when I side stepped the clutch the car never even flicked the stage beams. They pushed me back and swept up the pieces and put it in a pile. I pushed the car back to the pits and a guy next to me with a corvette happened to have a spare yoke which I gave him $20 for. I put it back together and went over to the starting line and picked up all of the pieces from the tailshaft and with a lot of brake clean and rtv silicone black MOPAR glued it back together like your Mothers ceramic vase that you and your brother broke while wrestling in the living room and said do you think she'll notice. I went up for first round and just drove real easy wathced the other car go through the finish line with no win light I just started to laugh and could not beleive it. The word got out that I was hurt and lost second round but I will never forget that day. And by the way I never got away with anything with my mother she knew everything well not quite everything.
mike natoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
SCOTT SST2871

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About 7 or 8 years ago i wiped a lobe off a roller cam in a 69 camaro i drove for someone on my last time run at orlando div race.we drove home got a much larger cam from a diff motor went back and changed it in the grass (didnt know if we had enough piston/valve clearance) and won the race the next day,boy i slept good that night
scott fifield
SCOTT SST2871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This one is funny, but also embarrassing. First time I've told it publicly, but it's been so long ago all involved parties are probably no longer around.

1971, first Div. 2 points meet of the year. Phenix City, AL. A friend & I had a new, first time out, 1969 Covrette F/SA we had just finished the night before. Accell had a pretty neat booth set up in the pits, They had a distributor machine there and were offering free testing. I don't remember why, but I drove the car right up to the booth and pulled the distributor there. Didn't notice when I pulled the dist. that I also accidently pulled the oil pressure gauge line off the fitting. After finishing on the machine, I put the dist. back in and fired up the car to set the timing. Remember, a Corvette hood hinges are in the front and it was a wide open shot. It was windy out and the wind caught the oil and absolutely wiped out the Accell booth/display including and whole rack of yellow Accell jackets and the big banner.

As soon as I realized what was happening, I shut the car off. The Accell rep was talking to a couple of guys and none of them saw what had happened. We quickly and quietly pushed the Corvette back and then to our pit spot which was quite a ways away. The Phenix City pits were unpaved, with lots of trees and, almost, above ground roots, but we were running on adrenaline.

I didn't walk by the Accell booth the rest of the weekend.

Remember, this was 39 years ago and I'm sure the statute of limitations will protect me.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
dart4forte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
I know a guy that sewed the gash in the tread of his slicks with carpet thread. Worked just fine!

I personnally know the guy.
dart4forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Re: Stupid Pit Tricks

Oh alright, I'll play. Like the above, most everyone that was around probably doesn't remember anymore.

Likely April 1974, Indianapolis Raceway Park. My buddies had just finished their W/S Pinto. We had only had it out maybe one other time and were preparing for the division 3 points meet the next weekend.

We'd made one or two passes and the car wasn't running well. We changed both the points and plugs (how many remember doing this, LOL) and needed to reset the timing. Guess what, we forgot to bring a timing light! We borrowed one from some guys a couple spaces over.

So, we proceed to get everything hooked up. My buddy tells me, "hit the key". Now, I had one of those real bad brainfarts, I forgot to take the car out of gear. It fired, anyone want to wager a guess as to what happened next? I was dumbfouned, this thing just took off. Here we were chasing our racecar across the pits. Thankfully, there was nothing in front of us, it made it a fair distance before we caught it and got it stopped. Also glad we didn't damage the other guys light. Felt pretty sheepish taking it back to them.

As well, learned, DON'T check the spark of an MSD-7 with the coil wire held by your fingers. That hurt! Nuff said.

Guess I can end this with an old saying:

"What's the point of doing something stupid, if you can't share it with your friends".
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
foxy343

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stupid Pit Tricks

I can remember running late to get to the track in a different state (NJ). When I got there I missed the last call for time runs as the electric fuel pump didnt work and I couldnt get it started. I pulled some wiring and then twisted the wires together with tape (I think I lost a ground on the ride in) and got it working just barely for the first round. Dialed by prayer and got a red light from the other guy. Ran it out the back door and then went another four rounds winning PRO that day at ATCO in 1997. I also beat my dad second or third round that day giving him a lesson in driving -(whumped him at the tree and shut it down at the big end)...
foxy343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wifes bracket car started long enough to get it out of the trailer and into the pit spot. It died like it ran out of gas. We don't have a pressure gauge on it (we do now). I proceeded to take the pump off to see if the screen was clogged, well it was out of gas. What a d.a.

This didnt' involve fixing anything, but like Mike's lucky winning round. Raced this guy wasabout .2 slower so he got the head start, I left and broke the yoke and ujoint just after he redlite. The next race, I got to race him again, hegot another .2 headstart, he left, I left, I broke the bell housing just after he redlite. He stays away from me now.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Was not in the pits but, I changed a engine under the drive up at a Holiday Inn. We started in the back lot but when it started pouring down rain we rolled it under the covered drive up out front to finish. Everyting was fine untill a local cop stopped to see what was going on. Next thing we know there was a bunch of cop cars out front and the mangager shows up at 4am and sees all the cops there and thought hotel had been robbed or something. He was not exactly a happy camper and we were invited to leave.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote