HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Troy Henderson

Liked 105 Times in 32 Posts
Default Setting up Cal Tracs

I saw this nice document someone put together on yellowbullet and though I'd share for those needing some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cal Trac Settings.jpg
Views:	2254
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	18843  
Troy Henderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
t.tosto

Liked 61 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Setting up Cal Tracs

Troy, thanks for the info, just finished a '69 Camaro 396/375 Iron head for B/S. This will help on tuning, think the stick combo would differ much over the auto settings? Thanks again, Tony Tosto 3050.
t.tosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Troy Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.tosto View Post
Troy, thanks for the info, just finished a '69 Camaro 396/375 Iron head for B/S. This will help on tuning, think the stick combo would differ much over the auto settings? Thanks again, Tony Tosto 3050.
Settings are about the same. The one that took me time to figure out on my own was tightening the extension (rebound) on the rear. I always had a jag in my drive shaft line on RacePak from hitting the tire too hard. I had to have my D.A. Afcos re valved several years back to control it. Works great now.

An automatic car should be able to get away with Calvert's Ranchos or similar since they don't shock the tire like we do. Stick cars require a good double adjustable shock like Afcos to work their best.

Going to have the car at Topeka?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
philbilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. According to these specs I am set up on softest hit. I been wanting to do some adjusting to see if there is any et.
philbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
t.tosto

Liked 61 Times in 22 Posts

Troy, dealing with back pain issue so I missed the chances to get a grade point before Topeka race. Tim will be there with the '99 Camaro, hope to be able to help him, thanks, Tony Tosto 3050.
t.tosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Todd Boyer

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've heard that Calvert Racing is great as a source for setup info on their bars.
Todd Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Scott P3274

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This looks very helpful. I have a 69 Nova with Cal Tracs and Landrum mono leafs. I added some power this year and a trans brake. I am running a 29.5 x 9" slick and stock front suspension. Foot braking the car, it is pretty consistent and has 1.44-1.45 60 ft times. I tried the trans brake and it initially spun. When it hooked up, it pulled a huge wheel stand.
Can anyone make a recommendation on getting it to hook consistently with the trans brake and also calm down the big wheelie? I will be testing tomorrow night. I stiffened the front shocks (QA1 Stocker Stars)but I want to make sure it hooks too. The rear shocks are set at approximately 50/50. The Cal Tracs are set up with the bar in the lower hole and pre-load on the passenger side only.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Scott P3274; 05-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Scott P3274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Troy Henderson

Hey Scott are the basics covered?

- Travel - 1 1/2" for compression and 5-5.5" for extension?
- No binding in the front and rear?
- Are the front QA1's single or double adjustable? You need double adjustable when you start hitting the tire had with a trans brake. Set the Rebound loose and Compression tight. If it comes up to fast you'll have to tighten the extension until its under control. If it rises too fast and bottoms out it will spin after it hooks.
- The rear needs to be double adjustable also. Set the compression full tight to keep the tires planted. Set the rebound a couple clicks from full tight to get the initial hit under control. (This could be why its spinning on the brake.) Loosen a couple clicks at a time and see if 60' improves. Stop if if starts hitting the tire too hard and spinning.

I'd leave the bar in the lower hole if it's already wheeling.

Troy

Last edited by Troy Henderson; 05-08-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Scott P3274

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Troy, thanks so much for your response. The basics are covered. There were no snubbers in the upper control arms. I put some polyeurothane bushings in to try to limit a little front end travel. With the front suspension fully extended (on a jack) the snubbers squash to about 1/2 inch. Before that, the front travel was all the way to hitting the control arms on the frame. It has new upper control arm bushings and new upper ball joints. The rear has a lot of travel. It has polyeurothane bushings in the leaf spring eyes too.

I don't think the QA1s are double adjustable. They are the R type but they only have one knob on them. What shocks do you recommend for the rear? I talked to Calvert and they recommended their single adjustable.

Your help is greatly appreicated. I plan to test tonight if the rain holds off.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Scott P3274

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

P.S. Is that you on autoimagry.com in the black 68 Camaro with the number 10 on it? Very nice!!