HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #41
James Findell

Liked 93 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Protest at Joliet?

Thanks to both racers for making ClassRacer viable and a must see to read again. Maybe Ken can throw them some T-shirts. Not knowing either party, but based on how I was raised by my Father, simple to avoid. Find a quality engine builder and run about 20 lbs heavy. I've had rod and piston out at Indy and have never not had my or my wife's car weigh enough. Pretty elementary in my simple mind.

NHRA made one right move, hopefully they complete the deal. As racer's, don't put your head in the sand if something doesn't make sense. We all watch cars to watch their performance as allies. I respect cars that make our stuff look like we need to work on it.
James Findell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #42
James Findell

Liked 93 Times in 7 Posts

In the interest of fair reporting and no fake news, I misspoke on my post last night. I said I had a rod & piston out. My car did, but it wouldn't have been possible without VanLant. I walked around and watched. If my memory is correct, my buddy and I had a few too many beers celebrating win night before tear down that was provided by a dude from California.... We weren't much help next day after he woke us up too early. We were shop helpers that day to Brad. It's a relaxing feeling to see your engine builder excited to go to teardown.

Simple decision NHRA. Don't let this go unnoticed.

No tools is no excuse. I think I could get a head off with a crescent wrench if I had to. If I couldn't put it back together to race, I'd be ok and still have my pride & integrity.
James Findell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #43
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Below is the actual rule relating to a protest from the NHRA rule book

1.6.5 Protest Procedures Contestant protests must be filed with the proper officials the day prior to eliminations (class and/or eliminator) of that category or as outlined in writing before a protest will be accepted. Protests by Event Officials may be entered at any time during the event at no charge. Inspections of protested vehicles and outcomes related thereto are not limited to the subject matter of the protest.
Protests must be accompanied by a protest fee as outlined below. Protest fee, minus Technical Department expenses, will be forfeited to the vehicle owner if the protested vehicle is found in compliance with the requirements of its class of competition. If an inspection proves a protested vehicle to be out of its proper class, fees will be refunded, less expenses, and the non-compliant entry will be subject to action as the Event Officials or Technical Department may impose, including possible disqualification, fines, suspension, and/or revocation of competition privileges.
A protested engine must be disassembled for inspection and reassembled by the vehicle owner and/or crewmembers. Failure or refusal to disassemble an engine upon demand from an Event Official will result in the removal of the vehicle from further competition and is cause for removal of the vehicle, owner, driver, and crewmembers from the racing facility and such other or further penalties as deemed appropriate by NHRA.
NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series category protest fees:
Cubic inch check (without removing head) ..............$250
Bore and stroke only (with head removed) ..............$350
Inspect head on engine, remove and inspect vehicle ......$300
Remove oil pan, inspect rods and crank ................$400
Heads, valves, carburetor, bore and stroke. . . . . . . . . . . . . .$450
Remove oil pan, rod, piston and inspect crank ...........$500
Heads, valves, carburetor, bore and stroke plus cam ......$600
Electronic devices ................................$600
Any Professional category protest ..................$1,000
Contestant protests may only be filed by a driver or registered vehicle owner competing in the same event and in the same
eliminator category, as the vehicle being protested. NHRA reserves the right to reject any protest filed that it determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, is frivolous or intended to harass another competitor or to otherwise gain some unfair competitive advantage.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #44
Whalen3186

Liked 98 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Below is the actual rule relating to a protest from the NHRA rule book

1.6.5 Protest Procedures Contestant protests must be filed with the proper officials the day prior to eliminations (class and/or eliminator) of that category or as outlined in writing before a protest will be accepted. Protests by Event Officials may be entered at any time during the event at no charge. Inspections of protested vehicles and outcomes related thereto are not limited to the subject matter of the protest.
Protests must be accompanied by a protest fee as outlined below. Protest fee, minus Technical Department expenses, will be forfeited to the vehicle owner if the protested vehicle is found in compliance with the requirements of its class of competition. If an inspection proves a protested vehicle to be out of its proper class, fees will be refunded, less expenses, and the non-compliant entry will be subject to action as the Event Officials or Technical Department may impose, including possible disqualification, fines, suspension, and/or revocation of competition privileges.
A protested engine must be disassembled for inspection and reassembled by the vehicle owner and/or crewmembers. Failure or refusal to disassemble an engine upon demand from an Event Official will result in the removal of the vehicle from further competition and is cause for removal of the vehicle, owner, driver, and crewmembers from the racing facility and such other or further penalties as deemed appropriate by NHRA.
NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series category protest fees:
Cubic inch check (without removing head) ..............$250
Bore and stroke only (with head removed) ..............$350
Inspect head on engine, remove and inspect vehicle ......$300
Remove oil pan, inspect rods and crank ................$400
Heads, valves, carburetor, bore and stroke. . . . . . . . . . . . . .$450
Remove oil pan, rod, piston and inspect crank ...........$500
Heads, valves, carburetor, bore and stroke plus cam ......$600
Electronic devices ................................$600
Any Professional category protest ..................$1,000
Contestant protests may only be filed by a driver or registered vehicle owner competing in the same event and in the same
eliminator category, as the vehicle being protested. NHRA reserves the right to reject any protest filed that it determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, is frivolous or intended to harass another competitor or to otherwise gain some unfair competitive advantage.
The quoted text above is the old protest rule. During the protest last Friday, we learned that NHRA recently made an amendment to to the protest policy and updated the protest form. Protests are now one fee, no more a la carte selections. The following is on page 6 of the 2019 rule book amendments:

SECTION 1: ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES & APPEALS. 1.6.5 PROTEST
PROCEDURES (4th Paragraph) (Page 13) (11/30/2018) (3/7/2019)
(NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, E3 Spark Plugs NHRA Pro Mod Drag
Racing Presented by J&A Service Series, Mickey Thompson Tires NHRA Top
Fuel Harley Drag Racing Series and the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock
Showdown series) protest fee: $750
Old 07-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #45
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen3186 View Post
The quoted text above is the old protest rule. During the protest last Friday, we learned that NHRA recently made an amendment to to the protest policy and updated the protest form. Protests are now one fee, no more a la carte selections. The following is on page 6 of the 2019 rule book amendments:

SECTION 1: ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES & APPEALS. 1.6.5 PROTEST
PROCEDURES (4th Paragraph) (Page 13) (11/30/2018) (3/7/2019)
(NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, E3 Spark Plugs NHRA Pro Mod Drag
Racing Presented by J&A Service Series, Mickey Thompson Tires NHRA Top
Fuel Harley Drag Racing Series and the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock
Showdown series) protest fee: $750

Correct. Only changed the cost to file a protest. No change to the rest of the proceedure
Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #46
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,702 Times in 852 Posts

If a suspension was handed out wouldn’t it have been posted by now? Seems I recall some are not posted while others are prominently posted (for public shaming or a warning). DQ’s from just an event (i.e. loose ballast) aren’t consistently posted, which just leads to confusion and speculation. Almost as aggravating as being DQ’d and removal from the sheet and then miraculously being reinstated and earning points from the event!
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #47
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
If a suspension was handed out wouldn’t it have been posted by now? Seems I recall some are not posted while others are prominently posted (for public shaming or a warning). DQ’s from just an event (i.e. loose ballast) aren’t consistently posted, which just leads to confusion and speculation. Almost as aggravating as being DQ’d and removal from the sheet and then miraculously being reinstated and earning points from the event!
Jim,

If you look at the language in the rule refusing to tear down during a protest results in disqualification from future competition and removal from the event. and other penalties as deemed appropriate by NHRA. Not necessarily a full suspension of privilege for any pre determined length of time.

Also a weight violation at the scale would not lead to a disqualification from the event unless it was during eliminations. Your qualifying run would be disqualified but you would be allowed to correct the weight violation and run the next round of qualifying if there was a round left. Similar to a fuel violation.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #48
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,228 Times in 595 Posts

Hey guys, check out NHRARacer.com for the latest info.
Liked
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #49
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,702 Times in 852 Posts

Thanks Ron, wasn’t there when I posed my question....

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...582&zoneid=175

Last edited by jmcarter; 07-19-2019 at 11:40 AM.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #50
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts

Good for NHRA for making this call, and good for everyone who may have influenced it. "Refuse teardown and show up at the next race with the head off" would set a terrible precedent.
Nick Heath is online now   Reply With Quote