Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2018, 02:31 AM   #61
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Englishtown Closed To Drags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meier View Post
I dunno....ask the owner of Royal Purple Raceway if he cried on the way to the bank with the money they made off of storing Hurricane Harvey cars.
They only leased the track for six months, losing parts of two seasons.

Houston-area drag strip is dumping ground for 30,000 (and counting) hurricane Harvey-damaged vehicles
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:34 AM   #62
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post
Trivia question: Who was the last Stock or Super Stock racer to win a round at Englishtown? Probably was at an ECSSSA race. A bitter sweet point of notoriety.
Who were the two Summernationals Stock finalists the year there was no Stock winner?
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #63
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Mike Schwartz;554132]They only leased the track for six months, losing parts of two seasons.

Houston-area drag strip is dumping ground for 30,000 (and counting) hurricane Harvey-damaged vehicles[/QUOTE

It was 100,000 cars and they didn't really lose much in the way of racing. They already had their bracket points completed by time the Hurricane hit. They only run Friday T&T's after that, sprinkling in a few specialty races. So they traded a few T&T days that would gross a few thousand dollars in revenues in the millions of dollars in storage fees.

I was told by the girl who administers the bracket points that they'd be open for racing by early March. I drive past there at least 3-4 times a week; it looks like they have the pit side 80-90% cleared.

But back to Englishtown, as the shock and disbelief wear off, I'm not regretting leaving New Jersey nearly as much.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #64
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

My money is on the @ssh@ole neighbors moving in in february and bitching in march about the noise !! Time to build low income housing there !!!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #65
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts
Talking Re: Englishtown Closed To Drags

I read in another post on here, the Napps leased part of the property ($5M a year for 15 years, $75M) for car storage. Sounds like a no brainer. No more overhead, dwindling gate etc. etc. Also starting a music venue, no doubt to serenade their neighbors
Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #66
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile Re: Englishtown Closed To Drags

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
My money is on the @ssh@ole neighbors moving in in february and bitching in march about the noise !! Time to build low income housing there !!!
I bet the NEW Gov. will do that soon !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #67
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Obviously, I'm not privy to any of the details, and I understand big money talks very loud, and I think we all knew it was inevitable at some point, but the more I think about how this was done, the more distasteful it becomes. Raceway Park didn't operate in a vacuum. There are so many people, businesses, organizations, etc., to whom this place was very important for any number of reasons.

From the local kid who has invested all his money in a car that he races, the local shop that sold him a pair of tires and got paid to install them, the serious racers who have been going there for years, the people for whom this place has been a big part of their lives for many years. The local businesses and shops who's incomes will take a hit. And even all the way up to the NHRA, which by all accounts was also surprised by this and are scrambling for a response.

The history, the legacy, the people and organizations got no warning, all they got was a "Thanks for the business, see ya". So much for respect for the history and the people who brought 'cha. I hope the neighbors are happy with their new junkyard and the truck traffic in and out of there to support that operation.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #68
pmrphil

Liked 247 Times in 106 Posts

Yeah, if the neighbors thought drag race traffic was bad, just wait til the trucks roll thru at all times of the night. I live about a mile from Copart and, yes, the trucks are aplenty.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #69
joe176

Liked 41 Times in 9 Posts

The neighbors are well aware of the truck traffic ... this same company rented Raceway Park and filled it with Hurricane Sandy flood cars that same winter ,,,, I had friends buying cars and sending trucks for weeks to bring them back to Long Island for resale
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #70
ken robinson

Liked 164 Times in 69 Posts

Don't forget the other issue they have a few years ago ...Now their neighbors can build their new mosque / temple , nice and quiet now... Those homes in that area are now just middle income homes now a days in good old N.J.
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote