HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #11
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: oil pressure and water temp gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hensley View Post
just a comment on gauges. a couple of years ago, I was intrigued by the digital gauges, and I installed a pair of water temp, oil pressure digital electric gauges in my car. they would read fine when the car was idling, but once power was applied, the gauges would go crazy, flickering very fast so you could not read them. I contacted the manufacture and they had no idea what the problem was. I suspected a grounding issue, but rather than fool with it, I put the mechanical gauges back on and problem solved. Still curious what it could have been.
I would just about guarantee it was electromagnetic interference from the car's ignition system, scrambling the microprocessor in the gauge. It takes some design "tricks" to avoid susceptibility to EMI.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
jim hensley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pliska View Post
I would just about guarantee it was electromagnetic interference from the car's ignition system, scrambling the microprocessor in the gauge. It takes some design "tricks" to avoid susceptibility to EMI.

So how would you suggest fixing this issue.
jim hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jim

In some aircraft it's common to use a shielded wire prevent this type of interference you can change to shielded wires or add a braided shield over you existing wires.
The shield is grounded to provided a ground path for the electronagnetic signals/noise that are affecting your gauges.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
Classic Instruments

Generally our oil, volt, fuel, and temp gauges aren't susceptible to electronic noise. A shielded wire is always a safe bet, and we also use stereo filters on our speedo's to get rid of unwanted noise. Also check where you have your gauges grounded to and see if any other electronics are also grounded there as you could be getting bleed through from the grounds.

Here is a link to the gauges we have available on our website:

http://bit.ly/FullSweepAXYellow

Thanks,

Bobby

[IMG][/IMG]

][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Classic Instruments; 08-23-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 08-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hensley View Post
So how would you suggest fixing this issue.
Sorry I didn't see this response until now!

The aforementioned shielding of supply, sensor and ground wires is the only thing you can do external to the gauge. Beyond that you can still have interference at the gauge itself, nothing you can do about that as it takes an overall design to be tolerant of electromagnetic interference (component selection, board layout, etc).