HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #121
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Leaf,Lace,Scallops and Cobwebs.

That paint job on that '70 Cuda looks real good...does anyone know the process used on the hood, it looks like heavy metal flake or is that gold leaf that boarders the inlays.

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #122
71Dartman440

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here's a link to the Cuda thread on Moparts. There were a few threads on the car as it progressed through the build.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...=6863887&page=
71Dartman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #123
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Looks like gold flake base under the red/orange and a silver flake base under the blue.
Tape the base around the edges, layer on the candy color of choice, pull the tape and clear and sand. Clear and sand. Clear and sand. Buff 'til your fingers bleed.
A nice flake job, as this appears to be, is a LOT of work.

Very impressive and tasteful!
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #124
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Hey Charlie, just curious what type of custom cars have you worked on in the past, and how long did you do paint & bodywork for, would you also have any pics of those bloody fingers or should I say scars, lol.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 11-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #125
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Ha! thought i saw that car somewhere..

That is my black/orange 67 coronet in the background! this was Maryland International Raceway's mopar show/shine/drag. nice job on the car, like the old time look
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #126
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Keith, that other car of yours the '69 Charger R/T sure would look good with an old school custom paint job on it if someone decided to put it back on the track, or restore it and put it back on the road...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 11-16-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #127
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

These donuts or round circles sprayed on seemed to be popular back then...

Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #128
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Keith, that other car of yours the '69 Charger R/T sure would look good with an old school custom paint job on it if someone decided to put it back on the track, or restore it and put it back on the road...

i think the charger is headed to Australia, working out details now. wish wife would of let me sell the coronet and restore the charger, oh well, I'm having fun with what i have. i will feel better when i have a couple new engines for the racecar...
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #129
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Hey Charlie, just curious what type of custom cars have you worked on in the past, and how long did you do paint & bodywork for, would you also have any pics of those bloody fingers or should I say scars, lol.

Just played around some when I was a kid working in a body shop. Boss wouldn't let ANYTHING like that happen at the shop but I painted anything I could, anywhere I could after work. Mostly for free and for friends. Did a van in a wood shed. A VW and some dirt bikes in an airport hanger. A 1967 Pontiac 2+2 in a dairy. Best one was a red 67 442 that every time I poured another cup full of paint in my old Binks#7, I washed the overspray out of the lungs with a couple of Budweisers.
Time I got through with that one, I wasn't standing too straight. The overspray was so bad a friend of mine was leading with a drop light just so I could see the car! Figured the next morning I would have to cut it loose from the floor from all the paint running off of it.
Next morning we rolled it out into the sun and it would hurt your eyes. So slick my fingertips would squeek when I drug them across the surface.
NEVER got one that slick again. Dupont Centauri. Newest thing on the market......a long time ago!

Last edited by Charlie A; 11-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #130
grncpe

Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts

I am on here from time to time & came across this thread.Thought I would join.That is my car,the cuda.I have tons of pics that I did not post on the thread on moparts.I learned alot of the old tricks from watching & listening to my dad,& a few painters he knew back in the 70's.I am not as young as I look.I have been around racing pretty much my whole life.I need to figure out how to post pics on here.Do I need to use my photobucket,or just off my computer?I can give you a few shots that will give you an overview of whats on it.You were correct on the hood. Gold metal flake. .004, .008, .015, .025 mix.taped off edge after clearing.the pic does not show the lace that is in it.So also Candy lace with fogged shadow.Anyquestions on the rest I will be happy to answer.I am very pleased with the way it turned out.Also exactly what I was going for, Tastefull. Thank You.
grncpe is offline   Reply With Quote