HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default W Stock..

OK, I have been sitting on a pile of Iron Duke 151 2.5 parts. New and used, but clean. Have both Chevy and BOP pattern blocks. TBI intakes, heads, cut crank, rods, some new pistons, ect.

I was doing some research on T5 Transmissions, looking for one to install in a 3rd Gen Camaro street project.I couldn't help to notice the low 1st gears available, up to 4.03

So, now some questions

1. Would I be able to replace and use the T5 over a 4 speed that came in earlier GM cars like a Sunbird, Monza ect.?
2. Would a T5 be able to withstand the abuse, I figure low HP and sort of low weight between 2900-3000 lb.

My other choices would be 85 or 86 Camaro, Firebird which came with L4 or S10

Throttle body over 2 barrel. ?

Just for some winter conversation. Taylor made Billy Nees questions?

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala I/SA
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts
Default Re: W Stock..

[QUOTE=impstocker;580762]

So, now some questions

1. Would I be able to replace and use the T5 over a 4 speed that came in earlier GM cars like a Sunbird, Monza ect.?
2. Would a T5 be able to withstand the abuse, I figure low HP and sort of low weight between 2900-3000 lb.

My other choices would be 85 or 86 Camaro, Firebird which came with L4 or S10

Throttle body over 2 barrel. ?

1. I don't think that you can put a 5 speed in a 4 speed combo. Better ask Yak.
2. See above.

85-86 Camaro/Firebird would have been 5 speed combos as would S-10.

I'm old, I'd go for the 2V but where are you going to find a body? Mid 80s Camaros/Firebirds and S-10s are still around and not THAT expensive. With todays rules, I like the 1962-64 Chevy II but find one!

Something to remember when you're looking at W/S, a 5 HP difference in an A/S combo is 40 lbs. and maybe 3-4 hundredths tops. A 5 HP difference in a W/S combo is 120 lbs. and probably 2-2.5 TENTHS!!!!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

HP is too high @ 120..
Camaro , Fbirds are all EFI

Suggestion : Find the guy who put all the 302 2v's back to net hp. Tell him to do the same with the 151. That combo has a 30 hp factor on it, and nobody ever ran one.

There are still 302 2V V-8s in the 130's.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Yes, you can use a T5 with the heavy o/d gear removed. I would not suggest doing it though. I had to use a T5 , converted to a 4-speed, in my 80 Mustang turbo car. I needed the 3.94 first gear. It came with a T4 , 4.05 first, but no good shifters available.
Be that as it may, I wouldn't use one if I were you .You still have to deal with that funky top shifter.

So, here's your dime rocket W/ Stock stick shift tip:
Use a 2.84 or 3.11 Saginaw . Slick shift 2,3, and 4, and put a real shifter on it.
It does have an iron case, but the gears are smaller, so it can't weigh much more than a Muncie. I don't see any problem in a 2500# 4 cylinder car.

The operative word here is CHEAP. The "hot rodders" hate them, I guess because they came in Vegas. But they hate 305's too, so what do they actually know? ;-)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
With todays rules, I like the 1962-64 Chevy II but find one!
Thanks a lot , buddy. You're driving me crazy with this one.
One tri -Y header? Yeah?

Anybody have a 62-64 post car they want to let me borrow for a few seasons? ;-)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

There is some W/SA stuff on Racing Junk. It is ( I think ) a 85 S-15 2.5 and a bunch of parts for cheap. It is located nearby in ( I think ) Gaston county, NC. Ya gotta love a lower class Stocker. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Yes, you can use a T5 with the heavy o/d gear removed. I would not suggest doing it though. I had to use a T5 , converted to a 4-speed, in my 80 Mustang turbo car. I needed the 3.94 first gear. It came with a T4 , 4.05 first, but no good shifters available.
Be that as it may, I wouldn't use one if I were you .You still have to deal with that funky top shifter.

Use a 2.84 or 3.11 Saginaw . Slick shift 2,3, and 4, and put a real shifter on it.
It does have an iron case, but the gears are smaller, so it can't weigh much more than a Muncie. I don't see any problem in a 2500# 4 cylinder car.

The operative word here is CHEAP. The "hot rodders" hate them, I guess because they came in Vegas. But they hate 305's too, so what do they actually know? ;-)
I ought a bunch of Jerico stuff many years ago. In the pile of parts were some gears for 3-4 that were machined to about .500 wide! They worked ok, but looked scary. If you found an old narrow gear Jerico and could do some lightening, it might be a good fit for a low PO set up
Old 01-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:

the st-10 i'm using in my rambler has a 3.42 1st gear and was only about 500 bucks used. think it came out of a firebird...if this helps anybody
Old 01-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:

First I want to thank everybody for input.

1. Yes, I did think about a Saginaw, most have a low first gear anyway. I was thinking the Saginaw in combination with a McCleod Sof-Lok clutch, probaly a heavy flywheel for sure. Sintered iron disc..now does anybody have any ideas about a "dime rocket" style clutch set-up?

2. Body style and year. Basically any 1980 and older would have to be a Monza. Sunfire body deal with the carb motor. 1982 up TBI motor , Camaro, Firebird or S-10 only choices. Seeing those older Monza are hard to come by, even cheap ones, and not a real fan of race trucks (IMO trucks only for hauling parts and race cars) I would be leaning toward a Camaro. Ends up being basically all the same weight, plus lots of Camar0 cheap under 1K around. Plus lots of aftermarket parts available, since seems like half the cars in Div 1 Stock are these Camaros. I would build it with the idea of maybe putting a V8 in down the road.

3. Engine, doing some research I found the 1982 Camaro 2.5 rated at 120, but the 85 Camaro rated at 115 , PLUS has more compression, with smaller dish in piston plus smaller chambers..hmmmm

So..the conversation continues.

Will
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Will, ya know, you would probably see more action on this thread if you would ask Kenny to move it to either Stock and SS or Stock and SS tech section.!.
I mean technically it's not a "build" yet.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote