Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: 1978 Mustang II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAURICE BLENDHEIM View Post
Robert... When I seen this post,I thought the Mustang II was going to be a donor car for your Chevy II. Control arms, spindles, rack & pinion, carburetor and plug wires. How silly of me... MB.
Pardon me, for the momentary highjack of this thread,,, but Maurice,, hows your Nova
build coming along? Just curious.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Mustang II

Quote:
Robert... When I seen this post,I thought the Mustang II was going to be a donor car for your Chevy II. Control arms, spindles, rack & pinion, carburetor and plug wires. How silly of me... MB.
Maurice,

Nope, my Chevy II bracket car already has the R&P under it. We did that 30 some years ago. Regarding the carb on the M II, not sure it's a donor for anything but the spare parts or core pile, lol! Think we've declared the 79 Firebird as a dead project. Move it out of the garage. Probably start a "For Sale" ad, try to move some of parts.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 228 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
Pardon me, for the momentary highjack of this thread,,, but Maurice,, hows your Nova
build coming along? Just curious.
Danny Durham
Danny...Not to continue the highjack. The project is still progressing, although slow, I'm too fussy. My glass and interior guy lost his right arm to cancer in early September, but his desire to continue is amazing. I'm dealing with my own medical condition, that leaves me tired at the end of the day. Plans are to be completed for the New Year. I will be posting some pictures soon in the Build section...MB.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Spent some time at a backwoods salvage yard today. Managed to find a 302 long block with the correct casting number 2 barrel intake. It was setting out in the elements and is missing the timing cover and water pump. Am positive the block is locked up. Won't know what I have until I tear it down. Am hoping the heads will be salvageable, if they are the correct casting number?

Thought I had found a set of Hooker headers over in Ohio. After contacting the guy and having him verify the part number, they were actually for a 71-73 Mustang. A little research saved me a trip and possibly buying something else I couldn't use. He did tell me he had a lot of sbf parts. Even said he had some 2 barrel carbs. I may still yet have found a source for some usable parts.

It's been 36 years since I last worked on a SBF. Need to go buy a couple books and renew my knowledge of these engines.
Robert, if the heads are shot let me know, turns out my Comet had a 78-vintage motor in it, the heads (D8OE) are really nice, recently overhauled. I cleaned up and put 77 heads on the shortblock and calling it a 77 lol! Lots of 2bbl 302 stuff here in Montana, holler if you need something!
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 228 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Maurice,

Nope, my Chevy II bracket car already has the R&P under it. We did that 30 some years ago. Regarding the carb on the M II, not sure it's a donor for anything but the spare parts or core pile, lol! Think we've declared the 79 Firebird as a dead project. Move it out of the garage. Probably start a "For Sale" ad, try to move some of parts.
Robert... I just thought you might be favouring the Chevy II, now that it is a roller again...MB.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 1978 Mustang II

Quote:
Danny...Not to continue the highjack. The project is still progressing, although slow, I'm too fussy. My glass and interior guy lost his right arm to cancer in early September, but his desire to continue is amazing. I'm dealing with my own medical condition, that leaves me tired at the end of the day. Plans are to be completed for the New Year. I will be posting some pictures soon in the Build section...MB.
Sorry to hear of all the misfortune with you guys,, as a cancer survivor myself, I know its hard for us to go out of here with all the parts we came in with. Get healthy first,, that's the main thing,,, the build can come later. I'll look forward to it next year,, take care.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #17
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Spent Sunday tearing down a junkyard 302. Pretty much have a boat anchor, which didn't surprize me. All I really expected to yield from it was the intake anyway. That's the gamble with salvage stuff. Back to scrounging.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
John Presing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Robert i have a new set of 6120 hooker headers 75 /78 mustang ii I belive that's the number give me a call 973 427 3673 thanks john in nj
John Presing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Presing View Post
Robert i have a new set of 6120 hooker headers 75 /78 mustang ii I belive that's the number give me a call 973 427 3673 thanks john in nj
John, sent you a PM. Will try and get in contact with you this evening. This project just might get off the ground yet, LOL!

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A small bit of progress. Finally cleared enough crap out of the garage to put the Mustang II inside. Have acquired a few pieces to start with. Hadn't planned on this but came up with a small aluminum fuel cell. Also have a good Holley electric pump and regulator. We now have the correct heads and intake for a 1978 FFFord 302. Thanks to John Presing, we have a set of Mustang 2 Hooker headers.

Also have the 4.62 8" gears and a mini spool. Stumbled across a guy in Louisville that had two good 8" carriers. Start working on the rear. Have a set of old "universal" Lakewood trac bars. Still studying on these, believe I have a method to make them functional. Going to take a little work and fabbing.

Still a long ways off but maybe we can get this gift motor car off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang II garage pic 2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	22456   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel cell pic 2.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	22457