HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
larrylomascolo

Liked 64 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Chevelle Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have not either Charlie, but I don't believe that Jim (Original owner) did any badge trickery on this car. It is a factory radio delete car too and was originally the light, snot green color. You have inspired me to do some research and figure out if the 300 was actually offered as a 2 door hardtop. I will let you know what I come up with.
I also own the same car 300 deluxe hard top factory 250 c.i 3 spd standard on the column no carpet no radio,will post pic soon ,almost the same car,,,,,was ugly gold color
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #22
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
My Dad removed the lettering after he bought it and ran it on the street. I was against it, but we know how much say a 14 yr old has in stuff like this. I like the vintage paint and 'war wound' scratches and marks, but I will need to do some rust repair on the quarters, front fender bottoms and rear window frame. So a full paint job might have to occur. We are going to add the history of the car to the decklid in a tasteful manner and as a tribute to Jim.

We might run this car as a stick with the 350/255 combo, but not if we ever run the 427. Go big or go home is the mantra I absolutely live by (often to my own detriment), but the break everything, miss races, pouring money into it daily thing possibility of a big block, heavy stick car thing scares me. I am recently engaged, have a 5 yr old and probably another baby within 2 years and my Dad is going to retire in the near future. We are watching our nickels in order to pull this off. Jim is smilling down on this father-son project, I can feel it
If you run the 427/425 as a stick, it is a natural A car, and can run CC. At the weight for those two classes, it shouldn't be real hard on parts. In fact, CC is probably a pretty good class for it, if you look at the stats, you'll not see very many CC/S cars. There are not too many A/S cars, either, and most of the "new" cars don't run a stick.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #23
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: 1969 Chevelle Build

Alright. In 68-69 only, a 2 door hardtop 300 series Chevelle definitely exists. I have a '68. It externally differs from a Malibu by the following:
1. Rear panel has no top or bottom molding, and a red white and blue emblem across the center of the rear panel.
2. No molding running the length of the car across the front fender, door and quarter panel either in front of or behind the rear wheel opening.
3.Where the Malibu emblem would be, a simple Chevelle emblem is on the sides of the front fenders behind the front wheel opening.
4.No back up lights in the bumpers. they are in the rear taillights. 300's had different tail light lenses than Malibu's.
The '69 had no rear panel moldings or emblems,either.The 300 emblems on the fenders were legit, some small interior details differed on both cars.
Always make sure your car is in the classification guide before you build it. Nothing worse than having to change a bunch of stuff later.
It's interesting that 69 was the last post Chevelle, but Pontiac and I think Buick made post cars in the 70-72 era as well.
Good luck with what looks like a great project!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
If you run the 427/425 as a stick, it is a natural A car, and can run CC. At the weight for those two classes, it shouldn't be real hard on parts. In fact, CC is probably a pretty good class for it, if you look at the stats, you'll not see very many CC/S cars. There are not too many A/S cars, either, and most of the "new" cars don't run a stick.
That may be the class for us, we can go big and hopefully not totally broke while being competitive. Thanks Alan.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylomascolo View Post
I also own the same car 300 deluxe hard top factory 250 c.i 3 spd standard on the column no carpet no radio,will post pic soon ,almost the same car,,,,,was ugly gold color
Awesome! I believe our car came with carpet originally because when we got it in 1994, it had light green carpet that was faded to about the same color as the rest of the interior, and worn out. But Jim could have added carpet when first got it too. Either way, it is cool to know that others have this same car. Seeing and hearing about other guys other with the same car as us has inspired to someday have a Chevelle Stocker area at a points meet. We could just all plan ahead to meet at an event and park together...we'll see.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
Marty Knox

Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Awesome! Seeing and hearing about other guys other with the same car as us has inspired to someday have a Chevelle Stocker area at a points meet. We could just all plan ahead to meet at an event and park together...we'll see.
Does an El Camino count as a Chevelle?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Knox View Post
Does an El Camino count as a Chevelle?
Sure, why not. A Chevelle wagon is a still a Chevelle. Maybe El Camino is just Spanish for truck... ya know, a Chevelle Truck.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Andy, Glad to hear you and dad are dusting off the Chevelle. Looking forward to meeting you at the track. Your dad and I went to college together a few years( more like decades) ago!!
Back in those days I had a 69 Chevelle SS 396/375 street car. Still my all time favorite body style.
Say hello to Terry. Best of luck eith the car.

John
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Andy, Glad to hear you and dad are dusting off the Chevelle. Looking forward to meeting you at the track. Your dad and I went to college together a few years( more like decades) ago!!
Back in those days I had a 69 Chevelle SS 396/375 street car. Still my all time favorite body style.
Say hello to Terry. Best of luck with the car.

John
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #30
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nechiporchik View Post
Say hello to Terry. Best of luck with the car.

John
John,

Good stuff, I showed Dad your message last night and he says hi back at you. We have been watching from a far as you have been campaigning the stick Firebird this past year. I remember meeting you when I was in probably middle school and you had the shoebox. I think that it was at Norwalk. I am now 7 inches taller than Dad, so if you see my Dad at the track with a 'bodyguard', that's me. We will be out racing next year and we will have to coordinate and pit together and make a day/weekend of it.

-Andy