HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Dave Gantz

Liked 230 Times in 122 Posts
Default Flywheel Material

Years ago, generally, different weight steel flywheels were used for launching a drag car. Aluminum flywheels were used for circle track cars, to accelerate quicker, not having to worry about the launch. (At least that's the way I always had heard it.)
Are aluminum flywheels used in drag racing these days? (Or before?) I see a lot of them for sale, and with the advent of adjustable clutches, I was wondering if maybe the combination of aluminum flywheel and adjustable clutch (base and centrifugal) has changed things.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel Material

http://www.advancedclutches.com/metalcoverclutches.htm This is a link to pictures that show the extent that they go to to reduce flywheel weight. ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,692 Times in 515 Posts

Back when I ran a stick in my car which was before all of the good clutches of today the difference from a 14 lb aluminum flywheel with a steel face to a 25 lb steel wheel was 2 tenths. This was in SS/J. Back to back tests on the same day. Many moons ago though!!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
older racer

Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

hi, BINGO, had same results also. lw is faster, simple physics!! same holds true today.
older racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Most people say the aluminum is faster, and I'm sure in most cases it is, but in our SS\CS 291 c.i., 6.50 rear, 3.29 low, a rag street strip clutch, and a 30 lb. fly wheel was .06 quicker back to back, then a soft lock, and aluminum 12 lb. flywheel. I know, it surprised me, but then maybe we had the wrong tires, or something.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
b.guggenmos

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

There used to be an old rule of thumb that said flywheel weight should be 1% of the vehicle weight. But that was back in the day of a 2400 lb. pressure plates or the discs with four pucs. They bite hard and break parts. Brian
b.guggenmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Inertia. I went from a 30 lb steel wheel to an 15 lb aluminum and picked up roughly .15 or so. I'm sure there are application exceptions.....but generally everyone benefits from the lighter parts now a days. Faster recovery at the gear changes , clutchless transmissions , adjustable light weight clutches , data loggers .....all expensive stuff............but always the std. of fast "manual" or as I like to refer "semi manual" stick cars. The difference being , clutch assisted or clutchless.
I don't consider "clutchless" as a true "manual".
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,280 Times in 257 Posts

We tried lighter back to back testing years ago and the heavier stuff was quicker. We finally stayed with the lighter pieces long enough to figure it out and it was much quicker than the heavy clutch flywheel parts ever were. I think the heavy stuff had an easier tuning window, but if you figure out how to use the lighter equipment, it is better all the way around. There is a learning curve. There are some real good choices out there for transmissions and clutches that were not around before. The clutches we run today in our stocker are waaay better than the stuff we had in our modified car in the 90's!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Dave Gantz

Liked 230 Times in 122 Posts

I guess the answer is, "It depends".
I like what you're saying, James. Gotta work on each and see what ends up fastest.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote