HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #681
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Why not lighten up a little? The way I see this is that the IHRA let a lot of people down. Both the tracks and the racers deserved better. When the tracks switched to the NHRA they worked together to build this series. I think it will be fun and will have at least one COPO at as many of the races as I can. The crate motor racers will get a chance to run in the series this year. That means they have somewhere to race without making a drastic change to their cars. The NHRA has made no long term commitment at this time. I really don't feel that the NHRA is going to add crate motors. Mainly because car counts are good and it adds complication to tech.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #682
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

How much of a difference from what started out as Crate Motor Stock are the new factory cars and the variety of engines they are allowed to run.

Look at the CJ's with the 352 or the 428, the COPOs with the 350 or 427. Mopars with the variety of engines the factory offers for them.

If you take delivery of a COPO with a 427 then decide you want to order a new 350 supercharged engine for from GM, and you take it to Barton's and have it built and blueprinted and put it in your car. What exactly is not "Crate Motor" about that?

how is that really that much different than ordering a 502 or 385 Fastburn from GM performance, re-building and blueprinting it and slipping it into your 69 Camaro.

No disrespect for anyone who runs these. Cars. It is simply comparing Fiji to Red Delicious to Gala to Honey Crisp Apples. They are all still apples.

Last edited by Chris1529; 02-15-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #683
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Why not lighten up a little? The way I see this is that the IHRA let a lot of people down. Both the tracks and the racers deserved better. When the tracks switched to the NHRA they worked together to build this series. I think it will be fun and will have at least one COPO at as many of the races as I can. The crate motor racers will get a chance to run in the series this year. That means they have somewhere to race without making a drastic change to their cars. The NHRA has made no long term commitment at this time. I really don't feel that the NHRA is going to add crate motors. Mainly because car counts are good and it adds complication to tech.
The IHRA already has a place for these cars in their new Bracket Racing series.
Why should the NHRA give them another place to race?
By doing so, they have turned the NHRA races into nothing more than IHRA Bracket series.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #684
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdncarnut View Post
By doing so, they have turned the NHRA races into nothing more than IHRA Bracket series.
I don't know, maybe the intent was to put something nice together for some of my IHRA friends who just got dumped by an organization that they supported for years. I don't get all the complaining. This has zero impact on the National or Divisional level. Except of course the opportunity for local NHRA racers to get easy grade points. That realization should bring out more tears.......
Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #685
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdncarnut View Post
Ya know, this D-2 1/8 mile N.O. series has no more to do with NHRA races than the local S/SS Association does. OTHER THAN a place to get a grade point without traveling great distances. Most of the local associations welcome NHRA, IHRA and even NSS cars. What's the problem? There's no Tech to speak of anyway. It's a bracket race, period, with a chance to get a grade point. I'm quite sure that the organizers of the local S/SS events WISH that they could offer their participants a grade point for participating!

Now, ya want to talk about the ridiculous expense of racing? Ya want to talk about "entry level"? Ya want to talk about what to do with the "crate motor" cars? Get someone to come up with a viable "heads-up" eliminator using minimum weights and "crate motors" where the final 4 cars can be "claimed" at the end of the day. But that will never happen.

Or just race good junk like I do and stop complaining.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #686
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpozzi View Post
http://www.ihra.com/competition/comp...t/category/211

As Division 2 director has said, they will go off of last years IHRA’s crate motor specs. So again, before you call it a “bracket motor deal”.... do 1 minute of research , and you can find the specs for these cars. It’s pretty plain and simple. If you don’t like the specs, don’t build a motor in CM and you won’t have to run heads up. If I run my AA/SA car vs a D/SA Firebird or a F/CM camaro..... it’s still a bracket race, correct?
Yes it is, and I really cant figure out why everyone is scared of the crate motor cars. Its really pathetic to sit here and listen to all of the bickering.
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #687
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
In a nutshell, if NHRA is foolish enough to put Pure Stock and Crate Motor Stock into NHRA Stock Eliminator, the only thing the IHRA only racers will have accomplished is to kill NHRA Stock Eliminator. Because the class as it existed, will not exist anymore. IHRA only racers will not have joined NHRA Stock Eliminator. They will have convinced NHRA to create Bracket Stock Eliminator.

None of that encourages me to build a new engine for the current car and return, or to buy/build a second car. I don't care anything about bracket racing, it's not what I want to do. And what amounts to alphabet soup stock eliminator, where the class designation has to be in fine print, or stretch across half the windshield, has no draw for me.
What a Snobby and Fickle statement !!
PS, GT and CM are all legit Stockers whether you like it or not.
All the associations accept them so they will live on.

Regardless there is nothing Stock about the current Stockers.
The concept long lost with the unlimited Spring and Duration Rule.
Few Tech people who knew how to measure a cam.
Today a simple to attach tool could do that now.

NHRA would not have put on the 1/8th mile series if there was not something there.

NHRA is looking at adopting CM.
The documentation has already been developed.
When they do expect three tenths to be cut matching current Dial-Ins.

In my opinion NHRA needs to give the Stockers a Hair Cut.
A lot of tracks had to convert to 1/8mile because of the higher speeds and the insurance companies liability insurance.

NHRA needs to limit Stocker Spring Pressure to something like 120-130lbs and leave the Lift Rule in place.

Think SS needs a similar rule to slow them down a bit.
Such as a Lift Limit Rule..that goes something like this.
350 cuin * 1.8 = limiting lift to .630 lift
454 cuin * 1.8 = max lift .817

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #688
GUMP
VIP Member

Dan,

You are reading way too much into this National Open series. I will be shocked if the NHRA has any interest in adding the IHRA classes to their regular program. It is my feeling that an IHRA racer wishing to run the real deal should be looking at building a combination from the NHRA guide. For now they have been given a place to run what they have.

Daren
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #689
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
What a Snobby and Fickle statement !!
PS, GT and CM are all legit Stockers whether you like it or not.
All the associations accept them so they will live on.

Regardless there is nothing Stock about the current Stockers.
The concept long lost with the unlimited Spring and Duration Rule.
Few Tech people who knew how to measure a cam.
Today a simple to attach tool could do that now.

NHRA would not have put on the 1/8th mile series if there was not something there.

NHRA is looking at adopting CM.
The documentation has already been developed.
When they do expect three tenths to be cut matching current Dial-Ins.

In my opinion NHRA needs to give the Stockers a Hair Cut.
A lot of tracks had to convert to 1/8mile because of the higher speeds and the insurance companies liability insurance.

NHRA needs to limit Stocker Spring Pressure to something like 120-130lbs and leave the Lift Rule in place.

Think SS needs a similar rule to slow them down a bit.
Such as a Lift Limit Rule..that goes something like this.
350 cuin * 1.8 = limiting lift to .630 lift
454 cuin * 1.8 = max lift .817

D
Dan,
The NHRA does not need to do any of the things that you say they need to do.
The NHRA is doing just fine without doing all those things.

The IHRA, which you supported, is not doing well. That is why they changed their format.

Again, someone please explain to me why the NHRA should change anything or accommodate anyone, just because the IHRA changed their format.
Go complain to the IHRA or whatever, but stop trying to justify why the anyone should change the rules to accommodate a bunch of racers who could not make a go of it in their own association.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #690
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,869 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Dan,

You are reading way too much into this National Open series. I will be shocked if the NHRA has any interest in adding the IHRA classes to their regular program. It is my feeling that an IHRA racer wishing to run the real deal should be looking at building a combination from the NHRA guide. For now they have been given a place to run what they have.

Daren
I agree with Gump, I have no problem at all with them doing these NO races to give them somewhere to race but I would put money on it that if you want to ever cash in your grade points you better get a current NHRA legal combo. This was a good deal Rich put together but I wouldn't read anything else into it. As far as being scared of these cars I don't understand this comment, why would anyone be scared its not like I would have to run one heads up? Next I'm waiting for " I know you are but what am I"?