HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #21
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: New for 2014

I saw two collectors fall off during burnouts last year. A Top Sportsman car in Denver ran over his while smoking the tires which ejected it out from the rear of the car like a pitching machine. I believe It hit a lady in the face and she required medical attention. Could have been much worse however.
You can't expect the tech people to crawl under a car that is 3" off the ground and check all the bolts. Besides, maybe the "required strap" company it will pay contingency on this.

TP
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Sam Murray

Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim kaekel View Post
unbelievable....the enhancements keep coming. What else can they make us put a tether on that can come loose? Driveshafts....balancers.....hoods? And a company has already "stepped up" with a solution. It's obvious that common sense left the building long ago!
x2
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
bert powell

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Not for nothing but a few years ago a T/S car lost a collector at Atco doing a burnout and launched it into two spectators.I Very horrible scene.I know one of them and he's still feeling the effects.
Ed, sounds terrible but some questions need to be ask. What was the cause of the failure? Did the collector have bolts in it to start with (I have seen a couple times cars without bolts- just drove on or just one bolt)? Did a weld fail?

As a side note, has anyone seen any 1/4 bolts sheared in two on a collector? How about any tab weld that broke and the collector fell off?

I have been enhanced enough to go IHRA racing!
bert powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
bert powell

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

This enhancement just addresses the collector falling of, what about other stuff? How about a piece of 1/4" ballistic plate the width of the car hanging from the bumper dragging the ground. This would deflect most everything falling of the car!

Not making light of the people getting hurt but in each case I would bet the bolts were left out, not routinely checked for tightness or the welds were cracked and routine checks under the car for this were not performed. What happens when the bolts are left out of the Lokar tether and the collector?
bert powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
Mark Madison

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Maybe I should put a couple of them high tech lanyards on my strut rods.
Mark Madison
Mark Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert powell View Post
This enhancement just addresses the collector falling of, what about other stuff? How about a piece of 1/4" ballistic plate the width of the car hanging from the bumper dragging the ground. This would deflect most everything falling of the car!

Not making light of the people getting hurt but in each case I would bet the bolts were left out, not routinely checked for tightness or the welds were cracked and routine checks under the car for this were not performed. What happens when the bolts are left out of the Lokar tether and the collector?
I suppose another way NHRA could address this issue is to DQ or even fine any racer that has parts fall off his car during an event. Which would you prefer?

Header bolts are notorious for vibrating loose for obvious reasons. My collectors are welded, but when bolts are used they should be used with locking type nuts. Most aren't.
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Doug Domm

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts

I am not an engineer but what am I missing here? My collectors have 2 substantial tabs on each collector and bolted together using locking nuts. These locking nuts can sometimes be a son of a b to undo when needed. I did go to the Lokar site and had a look at this new fangled clothes line apparatus, while at that site I also tried to find their DOOR TETHERS that all the traditional stockers will be required to have in 2014 when all these new "STOCK" approved cars running in the 8's by then are blowing our doors off!
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

I agree with you. My nuts are locked and don't fall off.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
denbreeden

Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRatcliff View Post
I agree with you. My nuts are locked and don't fall off.

Some guys have their wife keep their nuts in her purse...

Dennis Breeden
denbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
T Ketels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So their tabs with a bolted construction is better than tabs welded to the tube with one of our bolts. Oh yeah, their design is far superior as it has two additional ferules with yet two more connections. After all, four connections are greater than two!

Last edited by T Ketels; 02-15-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Offline
T Ketels is offline   Reply With Quote