Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
davidhuff

Liked 120 Times in 42 Posts
Default Re: Phoenix Nat'l Racers Please Respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Graham View Post
The track was fine when it wasn't covered in water. Can't blame that on NHRA
You must be kidding and give me a break,there was no rain ever at the track on Friday when Gordie Rivera wrecked his new pro stocker.The rain started on Saturday and I should know because I was there.
davidhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

The track was fine on Friday for the 9 second Super Stockers. The track temp was 95+.
I don't know about Gordie Rivera. When I hear Pro session , I head for the hills. Much safer that way.
Friday sounds great..without them. Can't wait.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Wow,

Looks like a bunch of half facts and missinformation.

The PRO's require a different track surface to allow for tire slippage and VP makes a product that works.

The National events switched from VHT to VP several years ago, possibly 6 or 7.

The change was better for the PRO's but worse for the Sportsman Racer who desire a dead hook starting line.

VHT is still used at LODRS races.

Firebird is no better or worse than most of the tracks we race at in Division 7.

People bitched about Sacramento Raceway and now we have to tow even further to race.

We keep making it tougher and tougher in these financial times to operate a track and pretty soon there will be no place to race.

The newest real race track (not counting the parking lot at Fontana) that we race on is Vegas and that's at least 15 years old. But we also lost OCIR, Fremont, Sacramento and Ontario.

Be careful what you wish for and pick the right battle to fight,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Mulry; 02-23-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: sp
Bob Mulry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
ron morehead

Liked 110 Times in 12 Posts

I was at both tracks this past couple of weekends. I am foot braking my superstocker and pomona for me was OK. the sun was always hitting the track the bald spots were so-so. In phoenix i thought that the starting line looked better with rubber for me I had no problem hooking and no problem going down the track.Yes the track is bumpy. My concern is whether or not NHRA has switched traction compounds several years ago they were using VP and right before 1st round in St Louis they changed the compound back to VHT the pros were not to happy with the lack of traction well I went from spinning and adjusting the car to hook to almost flipping over and the front whells pulling out of the beam to a bad red light. NHRA seems to only be spraying till the 1000 ' for the fuel cars and a lot of the Pro Stockers were having trouble all the way down the track. i was asked if there is a lot of sand we had aver a 1/4 mile of asphalt to get to the lanes. I personally don't think it is sand I think it is with the traction compound that is just my opinion. The way the cars were all over he track Sunday I really did not want to go down the track. Like I said though i had no problem with the track when I went down for TT and Class. We will see what happens in G-Ville we all know that track gets bad when the sun goes down and the dew comes in that is normal for that track it is all about during the day and that track is one of the premier tracks in the country
ron morehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #25
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhuff View Post
You must be kidding and give me a break,there was no rain ever at the track on Friday when Gordie Rivera wrecked his new pro stocker.The rain started on Saturday and I should know because I was there.
Can't speak for pro stock,but I made 3 passes within a few thou.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote