HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
strange1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 207 carb?

Why do the 207 carbs seem to be the carb of choice? Is this carb legal for an 83 malibu wagon?

Your info is appreciated,
Robert
Stk 2061
strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: 207 carb?

I would like to know too. I know the "207" means Chevrolet / manual tranny- but nothing in my Quadrajet book tells me why it is the S/SS carb of choice? I can run that 600 Holley in my 396/325 combo-

Will Lamprecht 65 Impala I?SA in progress -
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

The 207 was a service replacement carb. That means if you went to a Chevy dealer to buy a replacement carb for your '69 Camaro ...you would get a '207 carb...

I don't believe it was ever installed on any engine from the factory but I am not sue about that.

They were usually in better shape than originals since they were newer....
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
71lemans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 7029207 carb was used on a 69 corvette 350/350hp 4sp. You have to talk to a real carb guy but I think the internal workings are better than most other Q-jets.

Steve
71lemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I just looked it up in the NHRA engine blueprint guide and YES the 7029207 is shown on a '69 350/350 manual trans engine.

I did not know that....always thought it was just an over the counter replacement carb.....

Once upon a time you were required to have the right carb on a Stocker by the numbers.......it is good they changed that rule for sure....
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Dean Oliver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is one of the questions that I am asked most often. I have built and tested many 207s, but I have honestly never seen any advantage or disadvantage to them. At one point, I called the person in charge of carburetor production at Magnetti Marelli, and asked him if there was ever anything special done for the production of a 7029207 Q-jet. He said there was not, and that they were produced using the same molds and assembled using the same assembly lines as the other Q-jets. Different number Q-jets may receive different jetting, needle/seat, etc. according to the intended application, but the air flow potential would be the same for all. He also had the same comment for the Edelbrock Q-jets - same molds, same assembly lines, just different "settings".

I believe that the whole mystery behind the 207 in class racing developed years ago when no one knew how to modify a Q-jet for racing like we do today. With limited knowledge, most racers ran their carbs pretty much right out of the box with very limited tuning. But you could go down to the local parts store, order a Q-jet for a '69 Vette, and it happened to already have the big needle/seat, richer jetting, wider air valve opening, etc. And since it also came off of a Vette, the legend began.

Now Q-jets are modified well beyond a stock 207 set up, but its reputation continues to this day. The 207 carb is legal for any small primary Q-jet combination, but again, offers no advantage or disadvantage with today's "technology". If it did, I assure you that I would have one on both of our stockers. There's nothing wrong with building one if that's just what you want, but you will be competing with the Corvette restoration guys on price.

Dean
Dean Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote