HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

i know how
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
My suggestion is for X-Techman to start a new organization of JUST Stock and SS cars and lead them to the promise land.

Think up your own name for it or maybe one of these

United Old School Drag Racers Association
National We don't Allow No Stinkin Delay Boxes and Throttle Stops Hot Rod Asscociation
Amercian Foot To The Floor Racers Organization

All .90 racers are obviously not welcomed in this organization. They and all their gizmos and crap are not welcomed.....especially if you can go 9.90 at 170......A Big No No.....

Neither are any other categories of cars,

He can take up the cause and promote this NEW form of racing all over the USA

Get a Movement going and maybe start over in NYC's wall street area,
There's lots of potential spectators there. Some might work for free or just some food and a blanket....

I am sure there are also lots of dragstrips willing to allow free use of their facilites and give the track a full prep so tracion is perfect every run......and their is no entry fee and no membership fee and the workers work for free all in an effot to return to yesteryear......
TV shows will be played from the '60s on big screen TV's and any music played in the pits also can be no newer than the '60's

Everone gets a carton of Lucky's a dirty white T-Shirt and some Grease...for their hair when they enter an event....

If you don't have enough car counts to cover the overhead don't worry soon the gate will be huge and everything will be fine.....Right Wally? Sure Beav!
Capitol idea.

I'm in!

Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
GRAPE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was at the Philadeliphia Modifers Old Time Drags Event at Atco on Oct 9th.
Same weekend as Sportsman Show at Maple Grove.The Atco event drew over 1000 spectors.This event is for cars 1975 and older.They had maybe 300 Race cars
200 + show cars.Entry fee was $15.00 Race or Show. I think to watch was $10.00.Maybe running a car show with a Stock Supper/ Stock Race would bring in more people.
They promote this race by handing out Flyers at different Car Shows and Cruise nights
GRAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #14
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

I hope someone is taking notes…

Rich, there already is such an organization started, in our area. I hope Dave Ley is reading this thead.

Terry, maybe you can talk to Dave. You're down in Florida now. Hmmmm….

And to draw spectators, you need a show. What about a late model shootout at some events, pretty much like Milan and what the Hemi shootout is. Most of the people with the late model cars are like the AH hemi guys that they're not in it for the money. The younger generation can relate to these late model cars and being they're retro, so can the older racer. If they can run them against each other heads up without hp or weight to penalize them. Something like PC did this weekend at the Dutch, but with SS cars also. Maybe get Dave to talk to Gary R….
Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #15
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Don't have a foot in this show, but would like to say this. Remember when they use to tech cars in the shopping center in Gainesville for the Gator National's. Remember all the fans that stood around, looked and asked ?. Advertise and promote something like this that doesn't cost a red cent for the fans. I know it would be extra work for the racers, but think of all the fans and maybe they would go pay to see the races. Just a thought.....
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
Festus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here’s some thoughts from an avid fan. This is long so look away if you’ve got a plane to catch. I read this site every day and this thread made me officially join so I could respond.

I’ve been enjoying drag racing for about 15 years now going every year to the Nationals at Maple Grove. I’ve always been entertained by the sportsman cars but really had no idea regarding the rules. About a year ago, my 12 year old son expressed interest in going. I didn’t want his head to explode the first time out so we decided to try the Dutch for his first time to the drag races. I looked up the schedule and we planned on going on the Sunday to see eliminations. I had never heard of Top Sportsman or Top Dragster so I was excited about what I’d see. So we pull in and I see maybe a dozen or so cars in the spectator lot. I initially thought I screwed up the date or something but then I see the Dutch banner so it’s the right day. To myself, I’m thinking “lame city” but I don’t want to disappoint my son so we pay and head over to the pits. And once we turn the corner, I’m totally blown away! Hundreds of trailers! Fantastic looking race cars everywhere! So now I’m thinking pretty much what this thread is about as to why there’s not more spectators. It’s a freakin’ car show with noise and speed to boot! What's not to love!

So we cruise around the pits taking in all the sights and walk up to a great looking car with a T/S on the window. I’m thinking it must be one of those Top Sportsman cars. We keep our distance and snap a few pictures. The owner sees us and waves us in for a closer look. My son is in his glory as we’re right next to such an awesome car. What’s next? The guy asks if I want to sit in it? Now I’m so far out of my element it’s ridiculous so I politely decline. I don’t want to accidentally screw something up. But this experience was indicative of what we encountered everywhere we went. Everyone was just so darn friendly and eager to talk about there cars. I’m sure there’s a few dull tools in the shed out there but we sure didn’t encounter any. And we didn't just look at the Top class cars, we saw pretty much everything. Another classic experience is that I spotted the white Kingston station wagon. I'm sure you guys know the car. My son thinks all wagons are bricks so I go out of my way to check it out. Met a very nice lady who told us about it. We've seen it race many times since then and I always go over the top rooting for it. My son just rolls his eyes but it's good natured fun. But that day at the Dutch hooked us.

So this past season we've been to maybe 10 events, all at the Grove. Several Money Trails, ADRL, LODRS, Super Chevy, Rumble, Nationals and the Dutch. I'll bet we've seen well over 1,000 passes as we're in the stands pretty much all the time. It just doesn't get old. We've figured out a lot of the rules on our own. 0.90 classes, easy. Top classes, just qualify fast because of a limited field and then dial. Money Trail, just dial. But to this day, I STILL don't quite get how the Stock and Super Stock classes work. Doesn't everyone who shows up race in eliminations? And your index is based off power to weight ratios? So you try to run under to qualify better but what does that do for you? You're just bracket racing off what you dial in eliminations right? I guess I'm missing something but not sure what.

And I think it's the detailed rules that the casual race fan doesn't understand and therefore doesn't appreciate how difficult it is to accomplish well. I remember at the ADRL, the track announcer (not the usual Grove guy but the ADRL one) was babbling about 60' times, torque converters, spray stages and such. I know there were a ton of first time fans there who had absolutely no clue what he was talking about and probably felt like idiots. If I were in the booth, I'd try to explain what the folks are watching in basic terms they can understand. Not everyone is a gear head. Play to your audience so they have a good time and they'll be back. Don't make them feel like they're outsiders entering a restricted world and are not welcome. I know I've read something about idiot, clueless spectators on this very site. I'm a fan, not a racer. I haven't genetically inherited the NHRA rulebook so teach me what I should know so I understand what I'm watching without frying my brain with uber-technicalities. Plus the ADRL guy never shut up but that's another story. This holds true for all events. I never hear much by way of explanation how the classes work, indexes, dial ins, breakouts, etc. I think that would really help those spectators who show up.

Which I guess is then the second challenge is getting butts in the stands. I'm no marketing guy but I'd think it would be a basic equation of promotional cost versus expected return. That's a subject I can't really speak to. But I agree 100% with you guys showing up at local car shows and such. Handout copies of the track schedule. Invite folks to visit you in the pits when they come. That way, they have an "in" and maybe won't be intimidated. Connect with one at a time and let the power of networking then build. If Joe Schmoe has a good time, he tells his buddies and then they show up and so on. I know from my experience, once I showed up once, I was hooked. I think it's an easy sell once you've seen it. You just have to get folks there initially and then don't make them feel like they're not welcome.

I guess that's enough for now but one last thing...I want to thank everyone here who races. It's obvious you guys love what you do as evidenced by all the work you put into your cars. And it must suck to feel as if you're second class citizens sometimes but just know there's some of us out there who absolutely love watching you race and would truly be bumming if you weren't (even if we don't know all the rules).
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Jeez Doc,what bottle or med did you abuse today?:>):>):>)
No meds Ed and no beer. I have a vivid imagination and a keen sense of humor.....2 things lacking by many who post on this board.

I raced in the mid 60's....I know how it was.

I raced this past weekend at Maple Grove.....I know how it is...

I was making fun of the never ending lament of how can you do something that is not realistic......bring back the past....and also find it immensely irritating when someone throws barbs at the other categories that race as if they are the cause of the demise of class type racing.

I like to race cars and I don't care all that much what kind they are....and I don't care what type of gadgets they have or don't have. It's all a challenge no matter what you may think.

The sport needs all cars and classes to stay afloat and there's no way S/SS could stand alone .

Fans might come to see the new cars race heads up...they are hot.....but at $100,000 + each they don't have much in common with what we raced in the mid 60's in Jr Stock...and the attraction will never be what it once was...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
My suggestion is for X-Techman to start a new organization of JUST Stock and SS cars and lead them to the promise land.

Think up your own name for it or maybe one of these

United Old School Drag Racers Association
National We don't Allow No Stinkin Delay Boxes and Throttle Stops Hot Rod Asscociation
Amercian Foot To The Floor Racers Organization

All .90 racers are obviously not welcomed in this organization. They and all their gizmos and crap are not welcomed.....especially if you can go 9.90 at 170......A Big No No.....

Neither are any other categories of cars,

He can take up the cause and promote this NEW form of racing all over the USA

Get a Movement going and maybe start over in NYC's wall street area,
There's lots of potential spectators there. Some might work for free or just some food and a blanket....

I am sure there are also lots of dragstrips willing to allow free use of their facilites and give the track a full prep so tracion is perfect every run......and their is no entry fee and no membership fee and the workers work for free all in an effot to return to yesteryear......
TV shows will be played from the '60s on big screen TV's and any music played in the pits also can be no newer than the '60's

Everone gets a carton of Lucky's a dirty white T-Shirt and some Grease...for their hair when they enter an event....

If you don't have enough car counts to cover the overhead don't worry soon the gate will be huge and everything will be fine.....Right Wally? Sure Beav!
Gezzzzz Rich.....Its because of those "GIZMOES" is one reason the spectators run to get a hot dog or take a leak. You used to run stock......Or is it because your to old to cut a light of shift the trans without help.....LOL? Theres a place for the .90 cars but its gotten way out of hand. S/S isnt any better with air/elec. shifters, trans brakes. long trans brake buttons, and 2 steps. I know we cant bring back the 60's but lets put the brakes on a little. Keep all the "toys" but get rid of the start/stumble, take off and you would see and large increase in a fan base. Ive sat in the stands and heard it over and over.....WTF....did he break or what? Its about putting fan butts back into the stands. Slow them down another way such as using an adjustable restrictor plate or how it was done in the beginning with a bolt stop.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 10-18-2011 at 09:58 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Talking Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Denysenko View Post
Capitol idea.

I'm in!

Alex.....some just want us to go broke and have to listen to their bitching.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Thumbs up Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
Here’s some thoughts from an avid fan. This is long so look away if you’ve got a plane to catch. I read this site every day and this thread made me officially join so I could respond.

I’ve been enjoying drag racing for about 15 years now going every year to the Nationals at Maple Grove. I’ve always been entertained by the sportsman cars but really had no idea regarding the rules. About a year ago, my 12 year old son expressed interest in going. I didn’t want his head to explode the first time out so we decided to try the Dutch for his first time to the drag races. I looked up the schedule and we planned on going on the Sunday to see eliminations. I had never heard of Top Sportsman or Top Dragster so I was excited about what I’d see. So we pull in and I see maybe a dozen or so cars in the spectator lot. I initially thought I screwed up the date or something but then I see the Dutch banner so it’s the right day. To myself, I’m thinking “lame city” but I don’t want to disappoint my son so we pay and head over to the pits. And once we turn the corner, I’m totally blown away! Hundreds of trailers! Fantastic looking race cars everywhere! So now I’m thinking pretty much what this thread is about as to why there’s not more spectators. It’s a freakin’ car show with noise and speed to boot! What's not to love!

So we cruise around the pits taking in all the sights and walk up to a great looking car with a T/S on the window. I’m thinking it must be one of those Top Sportsman cars. We keep our distance and snap a few pictures. The owner sees us and waves us in for a closer look. My son is in his glory as we’re right next to such an awesome car. What’s next? The guy asks if I want to sit in it? Now I’m so far out of my element it’s ridiculous so I politely decline. I don’t want to accidentally screw something up. But this experience was indicative of what we encountered everywhere we went. Everyone was just so darn friendly and eager to talk about there cars. I’m sure there’s a few dull tools in the shed out there but we sure didn’t encounter any. And we didn't just look at the Top class cars, we saw pretty much everything. Another classic experience is that I spotted the white Kingston station wagon. I'm sure you guys know the car. My son thinks all wagons are bricks so I go out of my way to check it out. Met a very nice lady who told us about it. We've seen it race many times since then and I always go over the top rooting for it. My son just rolls his eyes but it's good natured fun. But that day at the Dutch hooked us.

So this past season we've been to maybe 10 events, all at the Grove. Several Money Trails, ADRL, LODRS, Super Chevy, Rumble, Nationals and the Dutch. I'll bet we've seen well over 1,000 passes as we're in the stands pretty much all the time. It just doesn't get old. We've figured out a lot of the rules on our own. 0.90 classes, easy. Top classes, just qualify fast because of a limited field and then dial. Money Trail, just dial. But to this day, I STILL don't quite get how the Stock and Super Stock classes work. Doesn't everyone who shows up race in eliminations? And your index is based off power to weight ratios? So you try to run under to qualify better but what does that do for you? You're just bracket racing off what you dial in eliminations right? I guess I'm missing something but not sure what.

And I think it's the detailed rules that the casual race fan doesn't understand and therefore doesn't appreciate how difficult it is to accomplish well. I remember at the ADRL, the track announcer (not the usual Grove guy but the ADRL one) was babbling about 60' times, torque converters, spray stages and such. I know there were a ton of first time fans there who had absolutely no clue what he was talking about and probably felt like idiots. If I were in the booth, I'd try to explain what the folks are watching in basic terms they can understand. Not everyone is a gear head. Play to your audience so they have a good time and they'll be back. Don't make them feel like they're outsiders entering a restricted world and are not welcome. I know I've read something about idiot, clueless spectators on this very site. I'm a fan, not a racer. I haven't genetically inherited the NHRA rulebook so teach me what I should know so I understand what I'm watching without frying my brain with uber-technicalities. Plus the ADRL guy never shut up but that's another story. This holds true for all events. I never hear much by way of explanation how the classes work, indexes, dial ins, breakouts, etc. I think that would really help those spectators who show up.

Which I guess is then the second challenge is getting butts in the stands. I'm no marketing guy but I'd think it would be a basic equation of promotional cost versus expected return. That's a subject I can't really speak to. But I agree 100% with you guys showing up at local car shows and such. Handout copies of the track schedule. Invite folks to visit you in the pits when they come. That way, they have an "in" and maybe won't be intimidated. Connect with one at a time and let the power of networking then build. If Joe Schmoe has a good time, he tells his buddies and then they show up and so on. I know from my experience, once I showed up once, I was hooked. I think it's an easy sell once you've seen it. You just have to get folks there initially and then don't make them feel like they're not welcome.

I guess that's enough for now but one last thing...I want to thank everyone here who races. It's obvious you guys love what you do as evidenced by all the work you put into your cars. And it must suck to feel as if you're second class citizens sometimes but just know there's some of us out there who absolutely love watching you race and would truly be bumming if you weren't (even if we don't know all the rules).
Great post..........Thank you !