HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Smile How do we promote sportsman type racing?

I want to thank "SS/DA" for the kind words. Usually what I post has been taken the wrong way and those who know me should for the most part know different. This thread hopefully will shed some light on what we have now called Stock and Super Stock racing.
We and yes its we as a group whether its as a current racer, past racer, future racer or a hard core spectator. What can be done to improver the show. Are you tired of being treated as red headed step children? Why do the racers put up with unfair HP factores for many years before something is done about it? Why do the stands remain almost empty during a sportsman race? Is it the rules? Is it the way a certain eliminator is run? What can we do to bring in more spectators? Is it to many classes. We all know that spectators want to see heads up racing or at least more of it. Is it the AHFS and the 100 ft shut off runs that the spectator sees to protect you HP factor so you can run over a second under to inflate your egos? What good does it do when your dialing in anyway like you are bracket racing? Do we need to promote your type of racing since NHRA dosent seem to want to or care. All they care about is John Force type traveling circus shows. How many time during a national event do 2 Fuel cars make it down the track side by side without blowing off the tires or grenading a drive train part? As one thread said even Pro "Funny" Stock has become a boring joke.Anyway I hope we hear some CONSTRUCTIVE input from you guys and girls. I will start out by suggesting doing away with the AHFS and those 1000 ft shut off runs. Get the HP factors in line and maybe use a 3 man commitiee (who are not now racing). One from each brand of car. Have more class run offs with less classes. Combine some stuff and adjust the difference with wt. adjustments. Go to car shows, and wear decent clothes and/or uniforms when promoting your self and car. Volunteer at different venues to show off your rides. Doing it once and telling yourself I did my part wont cut it. Write letters to NHRA and IHRA and complain. If enough do so....they will have to listen. Its YOUR Association. Numbers means power. Be part of their displays and not just an entry fee. Its takes time and yes a little money but its your programs. Become something besides just a filler for Top Fuel and Funny cars. If NHRA dosent wake up and slow down those things they will be history in time also. There are not many big corporations and deep enough pockets to spread around the kind of money to keep them going as they are. One last bitch from me. Get rid of all of the timers, throttle stops, and delay boxes in the .90 classes. Why run 170 MPH to hit a 9.90? Those are the primary reasons why spectators run from the stands on race day when you guys come up to race .OK....Im off my soap box for now.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 10-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

What might be an answer would be a clean breakbetween the Pro and Sportsman divisions , with each holding their own events somewhat along the NASCAR model . Back in the 60s and 70s the current model worked , but the the NHRA wanted to go "big time" and advertisers and TV became paramount . What also might help could be if the Sportsman ranks could found a racer's organization to represent themselves as a unified group before the NHRA . The Sportsman racer has power in numbers , but by not being united are at the mercy of the tracks and sanctioning body .
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I say car shows and promotions in major shopping areas where the masses can see the cars they will see at the track and maybe have a limited number of a free tickets and apparel available as apart of that. Let the kids take pictures in the cars, occasional start ups(if allowed), to expose people to these cars. I see them do the nascar display stuff at Walmarts all the time, why not Stock and Super Stock. Also doing this stuff at local school events might help expose the younger generation to this stuff as well. At least with something like this, you will get major exposure. I would suggest you involve numerous cars from all classes as well, A couple top sportsman/top dragster cars, a few comp cars, a few sg's, stockers, and super stockers. Doing something like this during the week of an event might help the track and you guys.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

OMG, Some excellent posts so far.

First, to this years true sportsman promoters, Toby Lang, Patsy and Larry Hill, Jack Matayas, Tom Sheehan, David Smith and the countless others who have gone to an event and posted videos, photos and results, THANK YOU!

I think we need to promote the classes amongst ourselves. I would be willing to chip in to hire a videographer to tape SS sessions. I found myself watching Toby's videos this year and realize that it takes too much time to race and tape. It is a job in itself, and THANK YOU Toby for the videos you've posted this year.You outdid yourself, but set the stage for the first neccesity of promotion. We need someone to tape at the races, and not a racer. I found myself watching Division 6 SS races more than once. Better than tv...

I posted pictures of my car as it rolled out of Buckys spray booth on moparts.com and before you knew it the rest of the build followed up until its debut. People wanted to see more pictures of the car and it grew from there. There is not too many tracks I go to that someone doesn't come up to me and say they saw my cars build on the web. They appreciate the effort I put forth building it and I am very thankful for that. The internet is a proven outlet for sportsman promotion.

And I tried to tape a run with a gopro camera this weekend, to add Jack and Toms live MG thread, but buckled in the car for first round the camera shut off, and second round it never shut off and killed the battery without taking a video… I tried!

We have to start somewhere and this thread is a start.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

As posted above, seperating the Pros from the Sportsman ranks might help. Most spectators just don't understand the class racers and the staggered starts and bracket racing style eliminations.

Anyway, I had this wild idea at the NMCA race in August at Beech Bend. I watched a very popular class called Nostalgia Super Stock and it was pretty neat. There were over 70 of those cars at the track. it was a index format but still cool to see those ol' cars.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was an "exhibition" class for all class racers at the NMCA events to allow the spectators who are not familiar with class cars to see these machines up close ? Could be a combo race format or other type elimination.

Anyway, it probably won't happen but it would be neat to combine the 2 types of racers at the same event and get some more exposure for the class racers.

Just my .02c.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

I would say have tech at the wal-mart or shopping centers (malls ) of choice .this way the people at these locations could get some understanding of the do's and don'ts as well as see the cars up close and personal with the curriosity to go see these cars run.
Maybe have a live radio station to broadcast at these locations with ocasionally talking to some of the drivers and possibly some of the tech guys for some insight.and a few ticket give-a-ways
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Talking Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

Promoting sportsman racing on it's own as a part if NHRA would help.When s/ss started did it not use to run off the national record or something,before my time?A sportman committee that is voted from within.I love stockers but it is real hard for new fans to grasp the concept(not car people just your average spectator)Just some ideas

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

One thing I think is overlooked here is the announcer. I know that there are several here and I have heard what a wonderful job they do, keep up the good work! But I have been to several National Events and the sportsman announcers have been almost nonexistent. The "Pro" announcers "hyped" them, no help for the sportsman. It also seems that the volume gets turned down too. I know the sportsman have loud cars, but sometimes I can hear better when the "Pros" run, why is that?

If you fill out tech cards, are they used for info from the tower? Would you put as much as you can on them so that they will repeat it from the tower?

Just my .02 on the subject.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

My suggestion is for X-Techman to start a new organization of JUST Stock and SS cars and lead them to the promise land.

Think up your own name for it or maybe one of these

United Old School Drag Racers Association
National We don't Allow No Stinkin Delay Boxes and Throttle Stops Hot Rod Asscociation
Amercian Foot To The Floor Racers Organization

All .90 racers are obviously not welcomed in this organization. They and all their gizmos and crap are not welcomed.....especially if you can go 9.90 at 170......A Big No No.....

Neither are any other categories of cars,

He can take up the cause and promote this NEW form of racing all over the USA

Get a Movement going and maybe start over in NYC's wall street area,
There's lots of potential spectators there. Some might work for free or just some food and a blanket....

I am sure there are also lots of dragstrips willing to allow free use of their facilites and give the track a full prep so tracion is perfect every run......and their is no entry fee and no membership fee and the workers work for free all in an effot to return to yesteryear......
TV shows will be played from the '60s on big screen TV's and any music played in the pits also can be no newer than the '60's

Everone gets a carton of Lucky's a dirty white T-Shirt and some Grease...for their hair when they enter an event....

If you don't have enough car counts to cover the overhead don't worry soon the gate will be huge and everything will be fine.....Right Wally? Sure Beav!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: How do we promote sportsman type racing?

Jeez Doc,what bottle or med did you abuse today?:>):>):>)
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote