HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
JSLRacing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Did you get caught and what happened?

So I'm assuming that when you get tore down they just leave you with a bunch of parts to throw back together when they are done?

I better help my engine builder in assembling my engine so I know how to put it back together..
JSLRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLRacing View Post
So I'm assuming that when you get tore down they just leave you with a bunch of parts to throw back together when they are done?

I better help my engine builder in assembling my engine so I know how to put it back together..
And you get to bring your own tools and gaskets too!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
JSLRacing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NHRA even uses YOUR tools WTF?
JSLRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

No, you use your tools to take it apart and put it back together, all they do is tell you what head they want and you bring the head, intake and carb to them.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
Charlie Ford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Many" years ago, when I raced my old '68 CJ car, we weren't allowed weight boxes, fuel cells, etc., so I had to run the car full of fuel to make weight. If you don't know, the gas tank had a short snout with a 90 degree neck that turned out between the tail lights. When the car would leave, it would dump a little fuel out. After the starter complained several times, at different races, I tried a shop rag, and other ingenious applications to stop the flow. Nothing seemed to work, so I had come to the point where I needed to come up with a logical solution or cheat by hiding weight somewhere in the car. After consulting the rule book I decided to do this. I took the 90 degree fitting off and put a short straight piece of radiator hose and another gas neck and cap on that. In other words, you opened the trunk and there was a gas cap and filler so you could put the fuel in. Problem solved. No more dumping fuel. At my first Div. race following my new invention, the tech person was shocked when he told me to open my trunk. His words were something like "Charlie, are you crazy? You can't do that" I didn't panic, I just asked him to show me in the rule book where it wasn't allowed. He left and returned quickly with a rule book. He turned to a certain page and pointed out the part that stated "Gas tank outlet must be in stock location". I pointed out that area we were discussing is where you put the gas in, therefore it would be the inlet, and there was no mention of the gas tank inlet in the rule book. A short time later they made me put a sheet metal partition between the car interior and the trunk for safety reasons.
Charlie Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Billy,
Nothing A**umed... HA! See how interesting your input was!!
I would enjoy more... say a lengthy preview of your book.
Billy, you said tech told you: "You're one of those people that asks for permission instead of begging for forgiveness".
Well, isn't that the way it is done, esp. by out of the box thinkers?
Isn't that how the Box gets expanded?
I included 3 names in my post because I consider them all very creative in using the rules they are given to work with. There are more names that could be added to the list, but time and space are limitations. I was lucky to be able to spell those correctly. Did I? :~)

JSL Racing I would suggest you go to a race and follow someone through a NHRA teardown. If you have never been through one or understand what could await you, you need to see one.
It is your job to provide the parts that NHRA tech requests that prove you are running legal.
I might also suggest you get to know your Div. Tech inspector (s).
Be able to ask questions about the rules. What and Why!!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Billy, you said tech told you: "You're one of those people that asks for permission instead of begging for forgiveness".
Well, isn't that the way it is done, esp. by out of the box thinkers?
Isn't that how the Box gets expanded?
Adger, I have found in my experiences that Tech officials are more comfortable finding things that aren't right with your car and penalizing you then they are about answering your questions beforehand about "grey"areas. I have always thought that by telling a racer that he CAN do something in a certain way they were afraid of setting a "precedence". It seems that it's easier to throw the racer out for doing something wrong then it is to explain to a dozen racers why "he's allowed to do it and I'm not".

Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Billy,
Good point. that is exactly why one needs get to know his Tech Inspectors.
Thanks for helping make my point.
From west coast to east coast they are all different and some have a different approach to answering questions. Some don't want to give you an answer.
Sometimes the type answer you get is based on "how" you ask the question. That makes it important to know the individual you are talking with.
I think they are doing their job by being more interested in finding the things that aren't right. Most rules are safety based and I want to be safe and the guy beside me be safe.
There is also a rule book they have that we don't have access to. It is called: NHRA TECHNICAL POLICIES & PROCEDURES
I have found that it will spell out more than the rule book that you and I have.
I recently found that I had set several of my NHRA National Records with a carb that had a questionable modification. The Technical manual was not real clear on it. It is allowed in Comp, but not spelled out in SS. I got a yes from one Div. Tech and a no from another on the modification. That is when something needs to go to Danny or Bruce. It was such a little thing I chose to undo the modification.
I'm pretty sure it would have been included (very clearly) in the latest Tech Policies & Procedures if I gone to Glendora. Well, I got a little off the thread on this one, but I think we should appreciate the job the Tech Dept. does. It's not an easy one when they get it like you mentioned.... "Why does he get to do ..so and so.. when I don't"

Ok I'll tell one on myself....
I was a little under weight for the class and had no way to add weight, (before weight boxes in stockers) so... I took the back seat out and wound a double lined plastic garbage bag under the right and left side seat springs. Then filled them with sand to make the weight. I'm sure glad no one sat in the back seat. You can be real creative when you have traveled far away from home!! :~)
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
Larry Munk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Billy should remember this. Tore down for the record at Delmar (1999?) had the approved unmodified pistons in the car. Almost got tossed because the dish was the wrong depth. Argue it was thier piston approved by Danny. (It tunrs out to be correct volumn but diff depth and diameter dish.) It went all the way to Glendor for approval. Got the record and was allowed to race. Thanks to Billy for the help on that one.
Larry Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Larry, do you remember the "Do you know Billy?" massacre from Del-Mar?