HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Did you get caught and what happened?

In another thread somebody asked the question what happen's if you are caught in violation of the rules. Let's hear from those of you that have first hand knowledge of the consequences when a racer get's caught.

I'll start it off,
At one of the first divisional races I attended I was driving a car that belonged to a friend and we didn't have enough time to get the car up to mininum weight before the first time trail so I went ahead and made the pass and bypassed the scale afterward, I figured they would just leave me off the qualifing sheet but the head tech guy came by my pit spot shortly after and Informed me that he was going toss me out of the race, We had to do some pretty fast talking to change his mind.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts
Default Re: Did you get caught and what happened?

Hey Phillip,
After 125 reads no one wants to admit to getting caught. HA!
Should we have a thread about "what you have done that bent or broke the rules and were not caught"?
It might be interesting, but I don't think it will get too much participation.... Let me speculate.. Billy Nees or Bob Shaw might have the most interesting posts... OH! I need to add Bob Dennis to that list. :~)

Last edited by Adger Smith; 09-25-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: SP
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Not my car but last year at Cecil County while helping out a friend,Travis told me to make sure the ballast bar underneath the car wasn't still behind the rear body structure anymore.
He remembered the car and the previous owners from another division putting weight mounted to the rear bumper mounting plate.It was removed before the car left Cecil.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
stage1scott

Liked 97 Times in 43 Posts

1976? or maybe 75-Freddie Kress (rip) driving an A/S 69 Chevelle,division 1 car out of Pgh, Pa. Kress&Kunsak on the doors-A/S CLASS WINNER-tossed because ONE cylinder on the side the head was pulled measured .0355-iirc, .035 was the largest overbore allowed, it was obviously wear and not a performance advantage-didn't matter. Too big was too big in those days.
stage1scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Back in the dark ages, my partner (Harry Sparks) and I took our '57 Chevy sedan delivery to a Points Meet at Blair NB and were told by the tech guy that our DASH was illegal because when we removed the heater controls and radio, we didn't replace tthe missing items with metal.

We got some beer cans, cut them up and filled the holes, and hoped that our impromptu "fixes" would be acceptable to him (it was our first time at that strip.)

They were.... Problem solved!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stage1scott View Post
1976? or maybe 75-Freddie Kress (rip) driving an A/S 69 Chevelle,division 1 car out of Pgh, Pa. Kress&Kunsak on the doors-A/S CLASS WINNER-tossed because ONE cylinder on the side the head was pulled measured .0355-iirc, .035 was the largest overbore allowed, it was obviously wear and not a performance advantage-didn't matter. Too big was too big in those days.
From the NHRA rulebook...."Bores are measured at the top of the cylinder where ring wear is not evident."

This rule was first put into the NHRA rulebook in 1968 and has been in there every year since.

Travis Miller

(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was told to either primer my whole car or paint it before 1st rd or I could'nt race. I went to k-mart and got primer. I primered it in the pits at Rockingham 1985.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Jason Fuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Miller View Post
From the NHRA rulebook...."Bores are measured at the top of the cylinder where ring wear is not evident."

This rule was first put into the NHRA rulebook in 1968 and has been in there every year since.

Travis Miller

(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
So, can we open up the bore below this "top part" of the cylinder?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts
Talking Re: Did you get caught and what happened?

I was "DQed" after the 1st time trial at the Aaron Koppien Memorial race Saturday. Ten pounds light on the scales, I was told to "put gas in it"! Which I did.

I actually took the "DQ" as a compliment, because it ment I had lost weight. My Doctor would be proud!

Curt Rees
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Should we have a thread about "what you have done that bent or broke the rules and were not caught"?
Adger, I'll ASSume that you're not insinuating anything!
Let me start this by saying that the head of Sportsmen tech has told me on a number of occasions, "You're one of those people that asks for permission instead of begging for forgiveness".
I was going to save this all for a book but I'll give you my top 3!
3. Tossed for .002 too much valve lift (I was protested) because I didn't have my "checking lifter" and was forced to use a (tech supplied) solid lifter. At the next race we measured my lifter and it was .070 shorter than theirs. They now have an adjustable lifter that they use. My bad.
2. Natl. event teardown was "almost" tossed because my stroke was too short. First time tech guy measured my stroke and came up with 3.263 (stock is 3.25) and said that I was out because my stroke was supposed to be 3.400. So I said to him,"so you mean if I let you throw me out at this race I can show up at the next race with a 3.400 stroke and be legal?" When I said that he went and rechecked the specs and found that he was looking at the specs for a Buick V6. I have a Chevy straight 6.
1. Teardown for a record, I gave the Tech my head minus a valve and he didn't like my "valvejob". The seats were pounded so badly that there were litterally no top and bottom angles left. After talking to the other Techs he told me that I could have the Record but the next time he sees that head it had better have a proper valvejob done because he doesn't know what I'm doing but he knows that I'm cheating!
Adger, on more than one occation I have told NHRA Techs,"You give me your rules, I will play by your rules, YOU remember your rules!
Enough said.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote