Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Class win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Polhill View Post
All I know is the new index's royal screwed me in DF/S I can't even come close, not even on a negative altitude day.. WTF was the point to it??
How many times have you heard "NHRA in their infinite wisdom...". Seriously? You've got a guy who was #1 qualifier at Indy who is now possibly unable to "win" Class... But only if he has a single. 'Scuse me? I'm sorry, but if you "have" to have a -.050 under pass to "win" class, it should be across the board. How do you tell someone that ran -.48 under they didn't win Class, but someone can run -.010 under against a redlight, and they DO "win"? BS. The whole concept is BS anyway -- if you win class, then you should be the winner, period. (Makes sense, right?).

If you "have" to have the arbitrary -.050 under rule, then apply it to EVERYONE. H*ll, when they have a short field in Top Fuel, and someone gets a bye, he'd better run within .050 of the slowest qualified time! Doesn't make sense? Good, because this doesn't either.

Hmm... I want to go NHRA racing... License fees doubled, need grade points and pre-entries, chopped Indexes .030, have to go -.080 under the old Indexes to be considered "worthy" of a Class win, etc.... Boy, let's go! No offense, but anybody really *excited* except the CJ and Chally owners?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #22
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim worner View Post
I thought you still won class & trophy but did not qualify for contingency if you were not 5 or better under.
I might be screwing myself right now but I didn't go .5 under at Maple Grove and I still got my Wally and contingency money for some reason. Didn't get my name or pic in National Dragster though.

I am the only car in SS/L when I race at a national event. Listen if I'm the only car in my class it only means one thing, I'm the only one dumb enough to build a horrible combination so I think I deserve to be rewarded for my efforts and get paid for my bye run in class, cause let's face it, I'm not going to qualify at the top of any Super Stock ladder with a small block Ford, 480cfm carburetor, and a rulebook. I also think these bye run class winners (and all class winners) should earn a qualifying spot so the field is diversified (and fans get their moneys worth), as opposed to a field consisting of air shifted Comp cars.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #23
Shawn S.Kvaas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

SSTOCK 1373 do you run a different combo than Kip Martin?
Shawn S.Kvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

No we probably run the same combo. He is on the west coast though I am on the east coast so I never see him unless I decide to take a trip to Indy some day, which won't happen anytime soon.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #25
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Re: Class win

Bobby, do you have the white Mustang? Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #26
Herbie Null

Liked 286 Times in 55 Posts

Sometimes it is easier to point the finger at others than ourself. We always refer to the old days, in the old days there was just super stock. No GT, modified, trucks and so on. Now with all the single runs, class is a joke. I have seen cars come to a class race and move to a different class just because no one was there in a particular class and they could make a bye run. I have even done this myself, it did not feel real good holding my little WALLY. That is why everyone watches classes with the most car counts, GT/AA-SS/AH-SS/JA there are many more you get my meaning. Instead of adding or removing weight to run from other class cars, now we can do the opposite. We can all move to a class where we have to run heads up for the WALLY, maybe they should not give out class wins for a single bye run period. That would bring back the old days in a hurry, take your licking go home and work on your stuff. Now for the blind fold, ready aim FIRE!!!

Last edited by Herbie Null; 12-26-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Herbie Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Null View Post
Sometimes it is easier to point the finger at others than ourself. We always refer to the old days, in the old days there was just super stock. No GT, modified, trucks and so on. Now with all the single runs, class is a joke. I have seen cars come to a class race and move to a different class just because no one was there in a particular class and they could make a bye run. I have even done this myself, it did not feel real good holding my little WALLY. That is why everyone watches classes with the most car counts, GT/AA-SS/AH-SS/JA there are many more you get my meaning. Instead of adding or removing weight to run from other class cars, now we can do the opposite. We can all move to a class were we have to run heads up for the WALLY, maybe they should not give out class wins for a single bye run period. That would bring back the old days in a hurry, take your licking go home and work on your stuff. Now for the blind fold, ready aim FIRE!!!
Your right......It would also make class runs more exciting and interesting to the average spectator. I always thought one should win class to be able to run the eliminator like when I raced SS/IA. Its just bracket racing today. I will take mine without the blindfold.....LOL.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts
Talking Re: Class win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Null View Post
maybe they should not give out class wins for a single bye run period. That would bring back the old days in a hurry, take your licking go home and work on your stuff. Now for the blind fold, ready aim FIRE!!!
But that would really screw the guys who really are the only car in their class. My buddy with the V/SA car is normally the only one on the grounds, and he can still run .6 under at least with the index change and add HP he got last year. I think the only time he has run anyone is when Lane Weber is there, maybe at Denver?

Maybe just make cars stick to the class they pre-registered in, no changing class at the track.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

Combine stick and autos dont screw the few REAL MEN that choose to not wear a dress and shift for themselves the stick classes are not heavily populated because its harder and takes more time to get it right so why screw the stick guy cause he has a bye. combine classes very few bye runs
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #30
Herbie Null

Liked 286 Times in 55 Posts
Smile Re: Class win

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshow2966 View Post
But that would really screw the guys who really are the only car in their class. My buddy with the V/SA car is normally the only one on the grounds, and he can still run .6 under at least with the index change and add HP he got last year. I think the only time he has run anyone is when Lane Weber is there, maybe at Denver?

Maybe just make cars stick to the class they pre-registered in, no changing class at the track.
This is the point I was trying to make. If he wanted to win class, he would have built a class car to compete to race other cars, if you chose to build a car that has no one in a class thats your choice. You can still bracket race in the Eliminator, you wont even have a heads up run on race day. Just dont complain about a class WALLY. we wont our cake and eat it too. lol