HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Throttle Stop Help!!!

Hey guys,
I have always raced bracket or stock/super stock and am now moving into super gas. I have never run a stop and am more confused than a fat man at a vegetarian resturant. So many choices and types. And then there is the shifting questions, stop on or off. Somebody help. PLEASE
Floyd Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
S/G 386N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to S/G 386N
Default Re: Throttle Stop Help!!!

This should help you get started.

http://www.biondoracing.com/tips.shtml#throttle

It takes time though. Going to need quite a few runs to figure out your ratio. Then you have to figure out your ratio in relation to the weather as well. Everybody has their own opinion on how to tune the car to the throttle stop. I don't think there is a definate answer to how you should do it. I've always heard that you want to go on the throttle stop as early as possible, as this will bring your MPH up. I go on it at .1, but I know some that go on it as early as a few thousands. Shermon Adcock Jr. waits for closer to a second before going on, at least that's what I've heard. I ran against him in a time trial in Gainesville, and he was quite a ways ahead of me after launch, so I think it might be true. Either that, or he runs a much higher throttle stop RPM than I do. All you can do is make runs, and figure out what you are comfortable with.

Last edited by S/G 386N; 05-08-2009 at 09:57 PM.
S/G 386N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
Lou SG2340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have found 1Stop to be the best throttle stop. It is an under the carb stop that takes away the
linkage problems. Gary at 1Stop (319-277-5290) will spend as much time with you as necessary to help you with his stop.

I turn my stop on at .02 & shift at .40. I set the rpm at 4100. Every car is different. You have to test & see what works for you.
Lou SG2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lou, Does the under carb stop cause a big load in fuel?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Lou SG2340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No. I suggest you keep your stop speed over 4000 rpm. One of the hardest part of stop racing is to get a carb that does what you want it to while on the stop.
If shifting by time, which is the best way, you want to hold a constant rpm.

PM me your phone # if you want. I am leaving for Bristol Wed then going to Maple Grove. Lou
Lou SG2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
don R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We just went from a linkage type to an under carb type. I was having a problem keeping the stop RPM consistent. #1 got us one quick and we stayed close to our original set-up. The first pass was close and the second was 8.904 which got us the first round bye. We made it to the third round Saturday and Sunday. Not yet perfect but better than last season and early this year.
don R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We run a Dedenbear TS6 which is an under carb disc type. We love it. It has both on and off CO2 lines, meaning you can control both on and off speed precisely. It's also amazingly consistent.

We go on the stop immediately (0.00), run at 4000 on the stop, and shift on time (at 1 sec). Of course your mileage may vary. We run a dominator on a 565 BB. We go on the stop ASAP so that we can be the chaser, not the chasee, and run the max MPH.

We tried shifting on RPM and found it just couldn't stay at a consistent RPM on the stop. It would just climb. And that made it impossible to predict. We shifted back to shifting on time, and it's laser straight (on the graph data) at 4000 throughout the entire time on the stop.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
S/G 386N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to S/G 386N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
We run a Dedenbear TS6 which is an under carb disc type. We love it. It has both on and off CO2 lines, meaning you can control both on and off speed precisely. It's also amazingly consistent.
We had one of those disc style throttle stops on my dragster. It might be consistant, but I know it isn't on an alcohol engine. Found the alcohol was pooling on top of the disk. This was a throttle stop rpm of 4200 IIRC. After changing to a blade type, because 100 x better.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Lou, I lost your number. Give me a call when you get a chance please.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/G 386N View Post
We had one of those disc style throttle stops on my dragster. It might be consistant, but I know it isn't on an alcohol engine. Found the alcohol was pooling on top of the disk. This was a throttle stop rpm of 4200 IIRC. After changing to a blade type, because 100 x better.
OK, I guess I wouldn't know about alcohol... I just drink that