HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Prayers for Vic Hobbs....

Rest In Peace old friend, I wish I had seen this sooner and had a chance to talk to him one last time.

As a high school then college kid trying to figure out drag racing, he was always there with his constant smile and words of encouragement and advice. When I had a hard crash at the 1988 D6 ET finals, as I was being hauled off in an ambulance Vic took over getting the remains of my car collected up and onto my trailer.

Until we meet again, may the win lights always be in your lane!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #32
Jack Foshee

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Amen!!!
Jack Foshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #33
theworm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Angry Re: Prayers for Vic Hobbs....

This is truely a sad day . Me and vic had some great races against each other in stock back in the ahra days . In 85 when i won the stock world championship vic in the kibler n hobbs car finished 3rd in the points. He was a great racer and a friend . This is my 50th year racing because of my heart issues i have not been out this year. Good by old friend may you rip . Don the worm elgin
theworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #34
dahkahuna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

R.I.P.my friend, mentor,crew chief, Vic Hobbs. I will miss our morning bench race sessions but I will carry on your legacy of turning on win lights. I have known Vic 48 years met him in Phoenix while visiting relatives I was16 yrs old then his ahra pro stock 1969 Camaro was sitting in the carport ,that was the beginning of our friendship he was always ready to help me understand this sport called Drag Racing and always answered this youngsters many questions. The void of your passing will never be filled you were ONE OF A KIND I will miss you........ Your Buddy Doug Holder
dahkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #35
Rick Unterseh

Liked 31 Times in 7 Posts

RIP my turbo brother
Rick Unterseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #36
ckracer69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I first met Vic at the Pro Gas and Bracket Championship Race at Orange County International Raceway in November of 1980. As an 18 year old kid I advanced to the final round of street eliminator to compete against the veteran Vic Hobbs driving Gene Kiblers Duster. I was sure I was in for a tough race. As luck for me would have it Vic left the car in drive and ran a couple tenths over his dial giving me plenty of time to get on the brakes and earn my first big event win. After the race I was curious as to what happened to Vic and he explained to me what he had done and then I understood why he was so far behind at the finish. In telling me, although I'm sure he was disappointed with what he had done he was laughing it off and showed very good sportsmanship about his misshape. Since our first meeting/race Vic and I developed a friendship and would always talk at the E.T. finals at the end of every year. This was the only time we would see each other since Vic lived in Northern CA and I lived in Southern CA.

Several years later Vic moved to Southern CA and we would talk at the various tracks that we participated at. In 1994 Vic was doing some tuning for ED and Kathy Veenstras E/SA Camaro and asked if I wanted to race his R/SA station wagon at some races. I agreed and I ran it at several races. but, although we won a few rounds of racing a big win seemed to always elude us. At the end of the year at Los Angeles County Raceway I ran his car at a Stock/Superstock race and as luck would have it Kathy was unable to attend this race so Ed asked Vic if he wanted to race it and Vic agreed. Vic and I qualified on opposite sides of the ladder and both of us advanced to the final round. This was awesome and once again I was sure that it was going to be a tough race. As luck was on my side Vic red lighted to me and I won the race. But, Vic also won because I won the race in his car and he received half the winnings and he was runner - up and got paid for that as well. It was a great day for both of us.

In trying to keep this short, as I could go on for ever, the last time my wife and I saw Vic was at the 2013 E.T. finals at Las Vegas Raceway. Vic pitted next to us and we spent the weekend talking over past racing as well as how we were doing that weekend. During the previous week at work I injured my back and was moving around very slowly. On Friday morning while making my time trial run I broke a transmission mount and when I got back to the pits Vic asked me how I ran and I told him that I'm sure the I just broke the trans mount and Vic jumped right in and helped me verify it. Next, he drove me to the nearest automotive store to pick up a replacement mount and then we drove back. Once back Vic knowing of my back pain told me to take it easy as he would replace it for me. I told him I appreciate that , but, that I would still get under there and help him with what I could. We had it changed in no time with Vic doing most of the work and it was ready for the next run. This is how Vic was, always ready to lend a helping hand to anyone that needed it. At this same event a fellow racer in the pro class had a problem with his starter and flex plate lining up as it had some bad teeth. Vic followed him up to the starting line and if the car didn't start he would climb under the car and rotate the flex plate so that the teeth would line up and the competetor was able to finish the race thanks to Vics efforts.

This is the type of person Vic was, he was always quick to lend a helping hand and was a good sport too. My wife and I will miss him and look forward to seeing him again one day in heaven.

Good - By my friend

Chuck & Maria Killian
ckracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #37
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Prayers for Vic Hobbs....

I don't know when I first met Vic-either the original Irwindale or Orange County in the late '70's. He would help anybody at the drop of a hat. He was a self taught mechanic that could just about fix anything. He did work for just about everybody at one time or another and was in constant demand for his services which were quite good. He could drive slow cars as well as fast cars. One year, he drove Len Schneider's Super Stock Ford at the Winternationals and went on to win the eliminator. He acquired a few stockers, one of which was the old Jerry McClanahan '66 Chevy R/SA wagon. He gave a few other racers a shot driving his stuff, and in that way, made a big difference in their lives by providing them with some experience. He was down to earth,very easy to talk to, and very knowledgeable. He also gave much and demanded very little in return. I was very sorry to hear of his illness and this loss hit us all hard. I also applaud the Class Racer family for their unanimous support and concern for him at a time like this. Thank you one and all.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #38
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Maybe the best tribute to Vic is to emulate his character and his helping ways
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #39
older racer

Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

hello, yes . I agree. vic always helped as much as he could. I never met a nicer guy. I learned a lot from him. RIP.
older racer is offline   Reply With Quote