HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Local combos vs national events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Delahanty View Post
The most frustrating challenge is participation. We all read the pleas here on Class Racer for “More Stock and SS Racing” and how great it was back in the day. But when race day comes……..where is everybody? We all have lots going on today and not everyone can make it. But if we are serious about preserving our racing passion, we need to be looking for reasons to get to the race, not reasons to stay home.
Everybody likes the IDEA of those races, but it's not a priority for them.

Quote:
I’m not sure there are enough of us to support another “Class Nationals”. I’ll stop here to thank Michael and Anthony for the 2 Class Nationals that they did hold and hope that somebody has the courage to try this again. They were fantastic.
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. We're honored to call you a Champion, and you live up to that on and off the track. There's been TWO $10,000 to win S/SS races this year ($100 entry), and both had car counts far short of being able to pay the purse, let alone if there was any track rental or other expenses, and the man paid it out of his pocket. That's shockingly sad. We broke even the first year and lost our butts the second year. Again, while people love the IDEA of the event, it's readily apparent that it wouldn't be "courage" that led someone to try it again, sadly.

Quote:
But maybe there’s an opportunity to have a “Super-Regional” race where 2 or more of the associations come together for a race weekend. That will need the perfect blend of the right date, track and promotion to pull it off.
I suggested that a couple of years ago, as there were even adjacent S/SS Combo series that had competing events on the same weekend. It fell on deaf ears.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Also, regarding the GLSSA series....The past weekend race(s) at Mid Michigan also provided an opportunity for the track to improve their operating profit. GLSSA gives the track a per car fee plus the additional revenue generated by the crew/family members accompanying the racers. The GLSSA is self governing and requires zero additional fixed cost for the track. By self governing, we do the ladder, manage the pairings each round and handle the payout.
By the way, Charlie Downing is our "RACE DIRECTOR" and does a good job of "DIRECTING"!!!
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
Wisman Racing

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Can-Am vs Great Lakes 2018?
Wisman Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Mike Delahanty
VIP Member

Liked 226 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisman Racing View Post
Can-Am vs Great Lakes 2018?
That idea has been discussed. And it's a good idea.

Along with the idea of "All-Star" Teams from Associations racing against each other.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #15
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 762 Times in 226 Posts

The opportunity for successful Stock/Super Stock programs across the country have never been greater. These programs are good for the tracks, the racers and ultimately the sport of drag racing. As the makeup, structure and focus of national events continue to change, independent race series like these may well be the future of Stock and Super Stock.

On Labor Day weekend, Midwest Class Racers and the Heartland Class Racers have partnered with Tri States Raceway in Earlville, Iowa. to host what will be the biggest independent Stock/Super Stock race in the country. This is an example of how dedicated people, working together with tracks, racers and sponsors, can grow this type of racing.

Last edited by Alan Nyhus; 07-26-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
Rich67stang

Liked 84 Times in 20 Posts

Here in Division 1, My sponsor has added $$ to the pot of the "Top 8" race from qualifiying results. (Best reaction time). We get 7 cars entered... I do not understand?
Stock/Superstock racers are already @ the event, $20 entry to race 3 rounds for $500-$1000.

I have learned Stock/Superstock racers are "Unique"...
Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

I race in the Can-Am Stock/Super Stock series regularly as well as travel to NHRA and IHRA events. We have a great series that started over 20 years ago. It's been my observation that what started as an alternative to limited racing and long travel has slowly morphed into racers building series specific cars, and that's great for the group. The problem is when there is an opportunity to race an open or divisional most won't show. I keep preaching that we all need to support these races but it's like pulling teeth. Somehow that can't understand they need entries to continue to keep these races viable and the sport strong.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote