HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #4001
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Slow day at the office. Bringing a couple of old posts forward for your viewing pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
On a lighter note,

January 15, 1968

Chrysler Press Release,

Chrysler Performance and Dodge have announced today with plans to go forth with a special drag race car program.

On February 18, Dodge will be building '60' special performance
drag race cars for the NHRA Super/Stock class.
These cars will designated for the SS/B or SS/BA class.
Chrysler has petitioned the NHRA to class these cars in the top class of SS/A or SS/AA , but the NHRA has reserved the top class for the
possibility of another manufacturer building an even lighter and higher horsepowered car.

The Darts, will be designated in the weight class and horsepower rating of 6.00 to 6.99 weight-to-horsepower.
These specially built cars will carry approximately 3000 lbs,. and
will be powered by a special 500 horsepower Race Hemi engine.

Specifics of the engine have not been revealed.

Currently, the '60' proposed cars will be available in both a race
automatic transmission or a special manual 4-speed.

At the moment, '35' cars will carry the special automatic transmission
with a race-ready 2600 RPM stall torque-converter.

The other '25', will be equipped with a Hurst 4-speed shifter, and
modified manual transmission, with the removal of the syncronizers,
for speed shifting.

All cars will have lightened body parts, to reach the lowest possible
weight, which includes fiberglass front fenders and hood, and thin-steel doors.

Included will be special .080" thickness lightweight side glass panels.
Corning Glass Corp, of Corning, New York will supply '60' sets of single-layer
thin glass,,,,,

Currently on board,,,the Chrysler Performance/Dodge Race Team
includes veterans Bill Flynn, Dick Landy, Gene Snow and Shirley Shahan.
These racers will be getting their cars first, to perform advance testing.

Bill Fynn from the northeast, Dick Landy and Shirley 'Drag-On-Lady'
from the west coast, and Gene Snow from the south, will help cover the
corners of the NHRA sanctioned tracks.
A list of current Super/Stock and former A/FX drivers has been compiled, in an attempt to get the best possible drivers for these
race-ready Hemi cars.

Times are expected to be in the 10.80 range, with speeds up to
130 MPH.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #4002
Charlie A
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickseeman View Post
I never knew. I'm not sure what year Slaughter bought the car either. I think he got it up around Tulsa. I know a well informed gentleman to ask the next time I see him.
Jon Hooper in Tulsa with a LO23. (Said to have become a Bob Lambeck car)
Here's you a NW corner of Arkansas Dart. Jim Hale.

Last edited by Charlie A; 06-09-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #4003
Charlie A
VIP Member

Old 06-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #4004
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #4005
rhinodaert

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

So I am assembling my Hemi to mock it up in my Hemi Dart and ran into a couple of issues. I have a 66 block and the correct aluminum water pump housing and the crank that came with it and it has the thick dampner. I need to know what diameter and height the crank and water pump pulley's are. I have two different crank pulley's and an aftermarket water pump pulley from Megaparts that does not come close to the water pump bolts. I do not have a timing gear or slinger on the crank so like I said I am just mocking it up so I can adjust the dampner to line-up with the alternator pulley. I believe the correct water pump pulley needs to be close to the water pump bolts, but not sure exactly what diameter and height the real on is.
rhinodaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #4006
rhinodaert

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post

Jim Rhineharts car. Sorry if I got the name spelled wrong Jim.

BTW. I heard rumblings that you are putting together a 50 year SS Hemi Reunion.
Care to comment on that Jim???? At least a Yay or a Nay would be cool!!!!

liteweight
Sorry I haven't been on here lately, got a real job again and the mother-in-law moved in the house, so things have been hectic lately. At least I plan on being in the garage more, LOL! Yes indeed, I am putting together a 68 Super Stock reunion at the Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals for 2018 so I better start getting you guys on board! If you want to start the discussion on what we should do please email me at rhinodart@yahoo.com and I can start figuring out the logistics. I still need more pics of my Poison Dart, as the mock-up has begun. Talking about the pictures of the hood, I do have one pic of the tunnel ram that was used and that is the reason the hood was changed.
rhinodaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #4007
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinodaert View Post
So I am assembling my Hemi to mock it up in my Hemi Dart and ran into a couple of issues. I have a 66 block and the correct aluminum water pump housing and the crank that came with it and it has the thick dampner. I need to know what diameter and height the crank and water pump pulley's are. I have two different crank pulley's and an aftermarket water pump pulley from Megaparts that does not come close to the water pump bolts. I do not have a timing gear or slinger on the crank so like I said I am just mocking it up so I can adjust the dampner to line-up with the alternator pulley. I believe the correct water pump pulley needs to be close to the water pump bolts, but not sure exactly what diameter and height the real on is.

Kramer Automotive. Jim and Cindy will sort out what you need. You can get by with repro street hemi pulleys , single groove on the bottom. then use double alternator pulley so it lines up. You then can use common alternator shims.
If you want to have the stuff that looks right Kramer's can set you up with the aluminum alternator brackets, and all RACE HEMI pulleys that will all line up right, single large alternator pulley, deep groove water and crank pulleys.
The MP aluminum water pump has one bolt boss that does not line up correctly with repro/original race hemi alternator brackets, you have to make up something for that.
Be aware that a small crank pulley can cause heating problems on the street, something I battled with an awb car I built until buddy Liteweight came up with the solution. They don't move the coolant fast enough.
No matter how many parts piles you sort through you will need to buy a hemi crank pulley to get the ball rolling.
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #4008
Liteweight
VIP Member

Quote:
Hey Jim

I have all original 1968 Super Stock Hemi Deep Groove pulleys and alternator brackets for my car. That's the good part..... the bad part is I can't get at them right now. Car & engine is stuck in the back 40 of my shop. I'll get it out later in the year & get all the pics, & measurments you need.

Hey you mind sending me some pics of that water pump you have with casting numbers etc.

liteweight
Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #4009
Liteweight
VIP Member

Quote:
Sorry I haven't been on here lately, got a real job again and the mother-in-law moved in the house, so things have been hectic lately. At least I plan on being in the garage more, LOL! Yes indeed, I am putting together a 68 Super Stock reunion at the Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals for 2018 so I better start getting you guys on board! If you want to start the discussion on what we should do please email me at rhinodart@yahoo.com and I can start figuring out the logistics. I still need more pics of my Poison Dart, as the mock-up has begun. Talking about the pictures of the hood, I do have one pic of the tunnel ram that was used and that is the reason the hood was changed.

Great to hear your stepping up for the 50 year deal Jim. Going to be ALOT of hard & dedicated work, late nights, etc. Feel free to use this forum to get started for any discussion you need for ideas help etc. Seems there is a pretty dedicated following here.

liteweight
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #4010
Liteweight
VIP Member

liteweight