Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-07-2024, 03:12 PM   #41
JP1738

Liked 259 Times in 84 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Also, there's a difference between battery voltage and alternator voltage.
It sounds like you have a stock tank inside the quarter panel.
In that case , you're also fighting inertia and siphon issues.
Fuel cells don't cost much on Ebay. You will need to place it inside a metal box on a wagon though.
The car has a fuel cell mounted in the spar tire compartment. It's about a 4 gallon cell. Guess I should have specified, apologies.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #42
Stan Weiss

Liked 545 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
True but I now have answers to both questions. Pressure never dips and volume is decent. Y'all really think 2GPM isn't enough to feed a 250hp 305? I'm as green as can be when it comes to racing stock and Q-jets but I still find that hard to believe. Maybe I can back-to-back it this weekend with and without the filter and see if it makes a difference. I'll let everyone know one way or the other.

ONE gallon in 37 seconds is only 1.62 GPM.

While that is over 550 pounds a hour which should easily support 1000 HP. It don't always work that way.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:00 PM   #43
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,456 Times in 1,957 Posts

Have the rear hangers been set to a standard? So both holes in the hanger lift the metering rods the same distance out of the jet. Somebody made a neat checker that could be used to adjusted and equalize the hangers.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-08-2024, 02:35 PM   #44
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Have the rear hangers been set to a standard? So both holes in the hanger lift the metering rods the same distance out of the jet. Somebody made a neat checker that could be used to adjusted and equalize the hangers.
Dog, I got no idea. I'm going to bolt on another one to either find the issue or rule it out. I got one coming from T-Stick that's pretty close. If it works better than the one I have now, I'll start taking it apart and seeing about how it's set up and what needs to change. The car was consistent with my Q-jet, just slow, so now If I can eliminate that variable I'll be able to see if that's my issue or not. While I have it off I'll take it apart and see if I can't get you guys some more answers
Old 02-08-2024, 06:07 PM   #45
Chipper Chapman

Liked 142 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
True but I now have answers to both questions. Pressure never dips and volume is decent. Y'all really think 2GPM isn't enough to feed a 250hp 305? I'm as green as can be when it comes to racing stock and Q-jets but I still find that hard to believe. Maybe I can back-to-back it this weekend with and without the filter and see if it makes a difference. I'll let everyone know one way or the other.
Your 305 should make in the 350hp area to be average. And a good rule of thumb I've found for supplying fuel to a Q-Jet engine, is to double the volume (or system hp rating) required for your said power level. IE engine makes 350, you need a system capable of 700 feeding it. The q-jet is great but can be quirky.

Also you most likely just have a whole bunch of small small issues adding up to some big losses. Only time and perseverance will fix that
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:42 AM   #46
JP1738

HOLY **** BATMAN! My heap SET SAIL this past weekend at a Darlington Dragway test session! changing nothing but timing, shift points and an intake manifold from Tim Stickles, I picked up FOUR TENTHS. Granted, it was in 1000 ft of DA and in a 15 mph tail wind, but I cracked off a mind boggling .39 under in the 1/4 mile! Wow wow wow! I'm so happy, proud, and relieved! I'll see you all in Orlando!

I tried my carb, T Stick's carb, and Chad Taylors carb, but mine ended up being the fastest. I think Chad's showed the most potential as it ran really well through the middle but suffered in the 60ft as it was set up for a 2-step but I was foot breaking. Had a little stumble in it when it left but came alive and hauled the mail out the back. Hoping to get a hold of some one this weekend who can help me go through them to see if I can optimize one for my combo!

Thanks all for the advice and well wishes! We did it! We got under! Much appreciated to all!

Last edited by JP1738; 02-12-2024 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wrong track
Old 02-12-2024, 10:50 AM   #47
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
HOLY **** BATMAN! My heap SET SAIL this past weekend at a Darlington Dragway test session! changing nothing but timing, shift points and an intake manifold from Tim Stickles, I picked up FOUR TENTHS. Granted, it was in 1000 ft of DA and in a 15 mph tail wind, but I cracked off a mind boggling .39 under in the 1/4 mile! Wow wow wow! I'm so happy, proud, and relieved! I'll see you all in Orlando!

I tried my carb, T Stick's carb, and Chad Taylors carb, but mine ended up being the fastest. I think Chad's showed the most potential as it ran really well through the middle but suffered in the 60ft as it was set up for a 2-step but I was foot breaking. Had a little stumble in it when it left but came alive and hauled the mail out the back. Hoping to get a hold of some one this weekend who can help me go through them to see if I can optimize one for my combo!

Thanks all for the advice and well wishes! We did it! We got under! Much appreciated to all!
Congrats Keeed!!! Look up Mike McDonald while at Orlando. He and Danny Ashley are my go to carb guys and Mike will be there with Kevin Wells. Just got both my carbs freshened up by him and ran the wagon this weekend with good results.
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked