HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-04-2024, 07:57 PM   #1
JP1738

Liked 259 Times in 84 Posts
Question Too Slow/Q-Jet question

As many know, I’m trying to put a stocker together in time to make Orlando. Went and tested today and everything went great! Car seemed happy, suspension was locked in, and the car was very consistent. Only issue is it’s too slow. Only managed an 8.20 off the NSA 8.26 index in pretty solid air after draining a quart of oil. I think it might be ok in Orlando but I know the car will lose time in the 1/4 vs the index in the 1/8th. I’m looking for more ways to speed it up, even if only a little bit. I’m told I could look into an M200 trans instead of my TH350 which I’m open to. Any input there would be great. Additionally, if there is anybody out there with a similar combo (‘80 305 Chevrolet) what are you guys running for jet size? My carb seems to have already been gone through and loved on as it idles great, launches well, and never misfires or stumbles. Honestly the plugs look good too but I’d still like to double check against why others are running. Mine currently has two 65 mains at 6.5 psi fuel pressure, I’m curious if that’s close to what others are running. Any helpful input would be welcomed, I really wanna go in 2 weeks but if I can’t go 13.00 I there’s really no point.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:02 AM   #2
Bobby Lundholm

Liked 85 Times in 33 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
As many know, I’m trying to put a stocker together in time to make Orlando. Went and tested today and everything went great! Car seemed happy, suspension was locked in, and the car was very consistent. Only issue is it’s too slow. Only managed an 8.20 off the NSA 8.26 index in pretty solid air after draining a quart of oil. I think it might be ok in Orlando but I know the car will lose time in the 1/4 vs the index in the 1/8th. I’m looking for more ways to speed it up, even if only a little bit. I’m told I could look into an M200 trans instead of my TH350 which I’m open to. Any input there would be great. Additionally, if there is anybody out there with a similar combo (‘80 305 Chevrolet) what are you guys running for jet size? My carb seems to have already been gone through and loved on as it idles great, launches well, and never misfires or stumbles. Honestly the plugs look good too but I’d still like to double check against why others are running. Mine currently has two 65 mains at 6.5 psi fuel pressure, I’m curious if that’s close to what others are running. Any helpful input would be welcomed, I really wanna go in 2 weeks but if I can’t go 13.00 I there’s really no point.
I have a metric 200 that was originally built by Turbo Action that Leon Miranian is rebuilding it right now if you are interested. $2,800. Check to see what your converter is flashing to.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:05 AM   #3
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts

I had as much as 6 tenths difference between my good carb and another name carb that seemed fine but ran slow and after much trial and error found 3 qjets that were from .05 slower to .10 slower even though they made more HP on the dyno. All were set up the same metering rods and hangers. All were known builders.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:13 AM   #4
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lundholm View Post
I have a metric 200 that was originally built by Turbo Action that Leon Miranian is rebuilding it right now if you are interested. $2,800. Check to see what your converter is flashing to.
Tough to say what it flashes at on the hit as first gear is so short, but it falls back to around 5100 on the gear changes. Might be in touch about the trans though, thank you for the heads up. Will the converter and shifter work for that transmission swap as well?
Old 02-05-2024, 11:17 AM   #5
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyle View Post
I had as much as 6 tenths difference between my good carb and another name carb that seemed fine but ran slow and after much trial and error found 3 qjets that were from .05 slower to .10 slower even though they made more HP on the dyno. All were set up the same metering rods and hangers. All were known builders.
I don't really have the funds to buy a name brand, brand new Q-Jet, but do you know of anyone in the NC/SC area that can at least go through one and tell me what I have? From what I understand and the previous owner of the car, my Q-jet was gone through, rebuilt, and ran well on another combo, but truthfully I do not know enough about it to say if that's true or if it's right for my combination. If there is even tenth to be found in the tune-up, that'd be all I need. I'm already under the index in good air, but as soon as I get to marginal air, I'm in trouble.

Last edited by JP1738; 02-05-2024 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2024, 11:53 AM   #6
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

With a 65 jet in the front it must not have primary metering rods. What rod and hanger are in the secondary’s? does it have a fast throttle plate? Have you worked with the speed of the air flap on the secondary?
Old 02-05-2024, 12:25 PM   #7
Henrys Toy

Liked 466 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
I don't really have the funds to buy a name brand, brand new Q-Jet, but do you know of anyone in the NC/SC area that can at least go through one and tell me what I have? From what I understand and the previous owner of the car, my Q-jet was gone through, rebuilt, and ran well on another combo, but truthfully I do not know enough about it to say if that's true or if it's right for my combination. If there is even tenth to be found in the tune-up, that'd be all I need. I'm already under the index in good air, but as soon as I get to marginal air, I'm in trouble.
Good morning to all,
I have walked through your shoes and spent many years learning to go fast.
I made a lot of mistakes as did many others on this forum. That said, you might be able to answer a good many questions by going to a dyno, put the engine on it and run it! You will spend a few dollars here - but what you will learn in one eight hour day will help more then you now know. Yes - I know the cost is substantial , but when someone ( like a Mfg. ) asks you a question, you can answer them and produce HP & Torque numbers and that's what people need to see in order to help you.
If you're guessing , then thats about all they can do too.
You might think that is extreme but you'll find out information it would take a whole season to find out.
Just my 2 cents from over here on a little Rock off the coast.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:45 PM   #8
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
With a 65 jet in the front it must not have primary metering rods. What rod and hanger are in the secondary’s? does it have a fast throttle plate? Have you worked with the speed of the air flap on the secondary?
Could not answer any of these question right now. I only had it apart long enough to replace the needle/seat and float. Set the float up best I could based on resources I found online. Is there a good resource on looking at what I have and determining what's in it? I'd be happy to take it apart and measure everything just so I could have a baseline starting point. I just worry about taking it apart so far I can't put it back together. Granted, I suppose that's about the only way to learn how.

What is a "fast" throttle plate? Also have not messed with the air flap but I know that it does open at WOT, just not sure how much or how fast.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:04 PM   #9
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Where are you? Division 1 ?
Mexico?
If we knew then maybe we could recommend someone that could to help you at the (1/4 mile) track.
Who was the previous owner of your car?
Who built your 350 trans?
Does it have a 2.74 low gear?
What rear gear?
What rear tire?
Where's the other tire and brake?
Old 02-05-2024, 01:47 PM   #10
Bobby Lundholm

Liked 85 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Tough to say what it flashes at on the hit as first gear is so short, but it falls back to around 5100 on the gear changes. Might be in touch about the trans though, thank you for the heads up. Will the converter and shifter work for that transmission swap as well?
Your shifter should work depending on what you have. Converter will not work as the trans is set up for a metric input. Get ahold of Leon Miranian on the carb as well. He does all of my stuff.