HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Default how do you like to dial

Did not want to side track the other thread so I figured I would start another as it got me thinking.
There is talk all the time about dialing soft and playing the waa waa game. Me I put the number on it that the weather station says it should run and try and cut the best light possible. But it seems at times like I am in the minority. Am I ?
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: how do you like to dial

For Bracket Racing you want to be over at DRR for the most part.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems like the guys I know who really understand their car dial the number and run it out, and only kill the ET if they really have the guy covered just to be safe. The rest hold some back depending on what is sitting in the other lane, track condtions etc.
3258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

the difference in class racing is that you generally know what the guy in the other lane has been running or is capable of running. Some people dial their cars dependent upon what the other car is running based on past performance. where as bracket racing, you may only know that if you are racing the same folks every week, or yo uhave someone writing down what people are running.

I think the people I have raced the past couple years know what I can run better than I do as I have lost first round way too many times!
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
fastracer482

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like to dial it honestly and try to run the number.
If you have the opportunity you can "scrub off" some et at the top end to make sure you dont break out.
If you can dial it good and run your number I think it puts pressure on the other guy to make the decisions about taking the strip, how much to take it by, etc..
fastracer482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Steves68Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastracer482 View Post
I like to dial it honestly and try to run the number.
If you have the opportunity you can "scrub off" some et at the top end to make sure you dont break out.
If you can dial it good and run your number I think it puts pressure on the other guy to make the decisions about taking the strip, how much to take it by, etc..
My son and I do the same. Every time we try to get cute we end up beating ourselves. So we just started dialing honest and we started winning some rounds. Still have not got to a final yet, but it is a lot more fun when you win a round or two.

Steve
Steves68Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
ET6201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the car is dead consistent and the "nut behind the wheel" can cut a light, there's no reason to dial soft. In fact, some guys who consistently kill the tree will actually dial ≈0.01 quicker and run it out the back door, knowing there's little chance of breaking out.

My car is fairly consistent (usually ≤0.03 from slowest to quickest pass) but I'm admittedly not so good on the tree. I dial 0.03 soft and "throw the dice" when the lights come down. Maybe I just need to step up to running on a Pro Tree! A friend is pretty good on the tree but his car ('65 GTO 400/M22) is/was terribly inconsistent.

'By-Run'
'68 Barracuda 340-S 4-Speed
11.34 @ 118.6
ET6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannymen View Post
For Bracket Racing you want to be over at DRR for the most part.
I know but I am here alot trying to learn something about the stockers as I am trying to get one together in the rare time that I get these days for myself. And the one thing I can tell you is if you ask a question here you 99 out of 100 times get a honest and mature answer with out the smart asses and the name calling that goes on on alot of the other sites. thanks for the responses.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
fastracer482

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves68Nova View Post
My son and I do the same. Every time we try to get cute we end up beating ourselves. So we just started dialing honest and we started winning some rounds. Still have not got to a final yet, but it is a lot more fun when you win a round or two.

Steve
Hey Steve its me and my son too. I started him off in Jr's, and he has been driving our big car since he turned 16.
I knew he was getting better as a driver when some guys went to the tower and complained about him. They complained about him not having his license, nobody cared wheather he had his liscense or not till he beat a couple of the local heavy hitters!!!!!
fastracer482 is offline   Reply With Quote