HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts
Question ATI Balencer removal

I am trying to remove the balancer and it is not budging, this one was put on not by me so I don't know if they used anything to prevent seizing but I was using the remover/installer I bought from ATI a while back (with many good results) but now it has started to split the adapter into the big screw and is trying to dig a hole into the crank snout, I know the parts are guaranteed for life but gezzzz. any tips on what to do? don't want to heat it, but plan on sending the balancer back for a refresh anyway. heeeeeellllllllpppppp!!!!!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: ATI Balencer removal

Remove tha balancer body from the hub FIRST---attach puller to the hub then remove the hub from the crankshaft-- hub should come of easily---FED
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

thanks, I will give that a try!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

ATI balancer hubs are supposed to be honed to fit the crank snout. ATI gives a range of interference or press fit for various sizes. Sounds like the balancer was never honed and was installed with more press than it should have.

I have broken many std balancer removal tools but have had good luck with that ATI remover/installer.

Lube the threads with anti seize or a high pressure type grease and it may help to use a propane torch on the hub area.

I have had balancers on so tight I had to use a pipe on an adjustable wrench and wedge it under a bench to get extra leverage so the balancer/remover/crank does not turn.

The first move is the tough one....once it starts moving it should come off.
Once it's off someone has to measure it for proper sizing and you need the crank snout size measured with a Mic.....

If you have the ATI remover it should work as it is about the best remover out there and mine has never failed me....

The heat from the torch is really not hot enough to hurt anything but the front seal........heat might help...

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 10-15-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Keith 944
VIP Member

well that put an end to it for now, I went and placed the wrench under a bench and tried again, this time it broke the bolt off in the balancer, and finished off the puller. grrrrr. can a machine shop get this thing off now?

Last edited by Keith 944; 09-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Getting the broken bolt out should not be to bad if you don't bugger it up...

The bolts you were using look like poor quality.

Once things start to go wrong and mushroom or deform....it's time to stop and regroup.

We just did a job in our shop that went like this.....

Pull the front of a 6.0 GM engine in a van......Could not get the balancer off until we borrowed a puller made specifically for the new style balancers.

I think your ATI tool was damaged and right there you needed to stop and either fix it or get another one.....

One way or the other you were going to break something it looks like from the pictures. I have seen references to a power tool for pulling balancers but never saw one or used one.......and I would guess not many shops have anything better than that ATI remover.....
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Sure looks like a Grade 5 bolt you need a Grade 8 bolt for sure----when you do get it off check the crank diameter and the inside of the balancer you need to hone the inside of the balancer to provide at least .0001 clearance as well as installing with a very light coat of anti-seize to prevent this. It went on it will come off you just have to work it---- get a good easy out and a LEFT handed drill bit to drill that bolt so you can get the easy out into it correctly ---any good machine shop will have what you need hopefully you can borrow both the bit and the easy out ---FED 387

PS you might get away with using a gear puller if you take your time and go slow
Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

http://www.atiracing.com/instructions/Super-Damper.pdf

You definitely do NOT want the balancer to be larger than the crank snout. It needs to be a press fit and once it is within the specs ATI recommends it will go on and off without any drama..

Press should be just under .001 meaning the balancer is smaller ID than the crank snouts OD by that amount.

A loose fit or slip fit balancer defeats the purpose and can cause broken parts and the crank and balancer will have metal fretting on their mating surfaces....
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
FED 387
VIP Member

Rich-- I misspoke I meant .0001 smaller than the crankshaft diameter not larger --- thanx for catching my error
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Keith 944
VIP Member

yes i understand the fit. I did not put this one on. I just have to get it off. the bolts were what came with the puller and I believe it was a grade 5. I thought about going and getting 3 grade 8 bolts but didn't. now I have to deal with what I have. I am thinking I can possibly get the cover off enough to take timing chain off and remove crank and use press to get this thing off. will deff. remove outer hub of balancer. is there something I am overlooking or is this a feasible method?