HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Deep Fried Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie jordan View Post
to help prevent hot oil overflow...put turkey in fryer, fill with water, covering turkey by 2". Remove turkey and mark the water line. Empty (and dry), then add oil up to the marked line.

Insulated hand mitts are helpful when removing the turkey from the hot oil.
x2
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving............mine was so....so.....I had trouble deep frying the turkey. First, I was concerned that one would not be enough, so I bought 2. I got the peanut oil up to 350 degrees like everyone said. The problems started when I got the first turkey within about 5 feet of the hot oil...........it flew off.....so did the second one. I don't know what I did wrong??????

Really, it was awesome. Great family get together and food was perfect. My kids tricked me into taking some pictures............here is one of them...Seems as though, I was the only one that didn't know to make a funny face...........left to right: oldest daughter, daughter in law, son, my fat azz, and my youngest daughter.

Last edited by SStockDart; 11-18-2015 at 07:22 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #23
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving............mine was so....so.....I had trouble deep frying the turkey. First, I was concerned that one would not be enough, so I bought 2. I got the peanut oil up to 350 degrees like everyone said. The problems started when I got the first turkey within about 5 feet of the hot oil...........it flew off.....so did the second one. I don't know what I did wrong??????

Really, it was awesome. Great family get together and food was perfect. My kids tricked me into taking some pictures............here is one of them...Seems as though, I was the only one that didn't know to make a funny face...........left to right: oldest daughter, daughter in law, son, my fat azz, and my youngest daughter.
Gary I think there was to much adult beverage Lol
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

Could have been................really, my kids are crazy (like me) and never miss a chance to have a good time. The grand kids are sleeping well tonight....they wore me out, and were still going. Life is so good and I am so blessed.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #25
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 388 Times in 82 Posts

After the turkey the trick to getting GREAT fries is to use Russet potatoes (we bought a commercial slicer) peeled and sliced the night before soaking in water.

Part cook all the fries so that when everyone is ready to eat, you can then go back and finish fry to a crisp golden brown color.
We used to fry Dill Pickles but opted not to batter & fry this year!

Girls prefer conventional "bird in the oven",So we always do 2 birds.
Guy's cook outside with the can! (where most of the coolers are)

Most find the fried bird moist and delicious!
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My first fried turkey was a sucess. Didn't burn the house down, or take a trip to the ER.
I believe I cooked it a little to long. I used the weight on the price sticker which was with the neck and guts. Plus after I put in the turkey the temp stayed at 300 degrees for the first and second 15 minutes (auto shut off) I then put the lid on it to raise the oil temp to 350. But left it in an extra 5 minutes.
It was still great, but the temp in the breast went to 170 degrees when I took it out. I read the ideal temp was 160 degrees. All in all it was great. And I'm hoping to perfect it next time Christmas Day.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Deep Fried Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
My first fried turkey was a sucess. Didn't burn the house down, or take a trip to the ER.
I believe I cooked it a little to long. I used the weight on the price sticker which was with the neck and guts. Plus after I put in the turkey the temp stayed at 300 degrees for the first and second 15 minutes (auto shut off) I then put the lid on it to raise the oil temp to 350. But left it in an extra 5 minutes.
It was still great, but the temp in the breast went to 170 degrees when I took it out. I read the ideal temp was 160 degrees. All in all it was great. And I'm hoping to perfect it next time Christmas Day.
Told ya! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote