HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: Decisions from NHRA on Proposals

Ed,

I was pleased that your proposals received the attention and serious consideration that they deserved.

I think a lot of that was because of the professional way you presented your ideas.

Thanks!
Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

Essentially, cartoonist Walt Kelly (Pogo) was correct in his description of this and many other similar outcomes as long ago as 1970.

"We have met the enemy and he is us!"

Rock on!!

c
Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Ed,

I was pleased that your proposals received the attention and serious consideration that they deserved.

I think a lot of that was because of the professional way you presented your ideas.

Thanks!
Bill Lamb

^^ I agree with the above.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas stocker View Post
Any reason not to run time trials using the index or dial?
Any reason not to print the national records in ND?

I always enjoy the pictures from Patsy and Ken but it occurred to me that is hard to tell who is who. I've been a racer or a fan since the early '60s. In those days it was easy to tell who was racing and everyone had a favorite from Monster Mash to the Ramchargers. It's hard to be a fan if you can't identify the racer. I understand that lots just want a plain car with decals for the money, but don't expect anyone to leave the concession stand to see you race.
Pete
I wondered last year why the National Records page in National Dragster disappeared.

Yet there are full page black and white size pics of cars from the 60's published to take up space.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Your proposal was great and it gives you a idea of where class racing in NHRA stands today. Unfortunately the major players want to keep it a bracket race. I am sure NHRA spoke with the racers that attend 10 or more events a year (these are the racers that pay the NHRA salaries) and asked their opinion and that is how the decision came down.

I was involved with a comp eliminator team that stopped racing because of the personal index institution and the racers that pushed for the personal index rule were the ones that were members of a 2 or 3 car team which allowed drivers to switch cars in season and use a index that is .10 slower than the previous driver not the car. Think about that
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts

As someone who built a business from the performance side of Stock and Super Stock i am very much for bringing that aspect back into what we do. I feel it has slowly slipped away. Please forgive me if this has already been touched one, but has anyone thought of talking with the SRAC before we talk to NHRA about this? They are the ones who should be fighting for what we want. I think it would be important to get them on board first and make sure we even have some sort of backing.

Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #17
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Jones View Post
As someone who built a business from the performance side of Stock and Super Stock i am very much for bringing that aspect back into what we do. I feel it has slowly slipped away. Please forgive me if this has already been touched one, but has anyone thought of talking with the SRAC before we talk to NHRA about this? They are the ones who should be fighting for what we want. I think it would be important to get them on board first and make sure we even have some sort of backing.

Just a thought.
The information that has trickled in to me is that some of SRAC reps are the one who don't want any of it.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #18
SS3718

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
The information that has trickled in to me is that some of SRAC reps are the one who don't want any of it.
Not throwing stones at all, but are the SRAC reps making decisions based on the voice of the RACER? I’m sure it is a difficult situation to be in and hard not to have some “self bias” mixed in!

I’m not even sure who the SRAC reps are? Are summaries of the discussions posted somewhere?

Nick
SS3718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #19
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Decisions from NHRA on Proposals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norton View Post
Essentially, cartoonist Walt Kelly (Pogo) was correct in his description of this and many other similar outcomes as long ago as 1970.

"We have met the enemy and he is us!"

Rock on!!

c
You nailed it Chuck !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #20
Steve Sullivan

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Angry Re: Decisions from NHRA on Proposals

"Racers don’t want to deal with getting torn down – It is not a big deal for us to tear down cars making runs (we do it at the National Opens I just mentioned), but racers are not as apt to want their cars torn down as in the past. This is particularly true of many of the newer combinations."

Well NO ****!!! When have racers ever WANTED to be torn down. Why should we continue to acquiesce to the people with "newer combinations" who with a few exceptions probably couldn't tear their stuff down themselves if their life depended on it. Go race TS, SG, SC, or SST (with all due respect to these racers) if you don't want to prove the legality of your car. Some of us rather enjoy getting our hands dirty in our jeans and T-Shirts rather than entertaining our buddies with craft beer dressed in designer apparel.

I'm sick and tired of S/SS being administrated on the basis of "customer surveys" where only privilege or fame gets you input. It would appear the "well heeled" or "well connected" are the sole arbiters of what NHRA does or doesn't do in S/SS. The rest of us can eat the mud we usually are parked in.

How much prestige is really left in qualifying if, say for the U.S. Nationals, many of the "qualifiers" could be as illegal as the day is long because they can get away with it with impunity. Not very much! If I were among the first "non qualifiers" with a legal entry I'd wonder how many bogus ones got in with out even a chance of being caught. Class Winners should be the FIRST priority of who gets in the show. Period! These are PERFORMANCE Classes. Reward Class PERFORMANCE 1st! If someone has a V/SA that runs -.60 under to defeat another V/SA they should be in the Show. Not some Country Club racer who buys his way in with a soft indexed "newer combination" that can't win Class but goes just fast enough to bump out the V/SA Class Winner. Total BULL****!! AFTER the Class Winners it's the fastest qualifiers of non Class winners and prodigious random tear downs to insure a fair playing field. If there's better odds you'll get caught you might think twice about blatant cheating.

The SCRA is a bad joke as far as I'm concerned. Former reps have told me it's like pissing into the wind.
Things keep going the way they are S/SS will mean Shoe Polish/Super Shoe Polish.

Last edited by Steve Sullivan; 03-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Steve Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote