Old 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #51
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: Indy Class ...Enhanced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Hi,

I respectfully disagree. I have had a personal experience with this, but will add no more on open forum as you can't fix the past. I feel strongly that the rules should apply to all. My wife is pushing me hard to bring a chiller to the end of the lanes at Indy. My answer is always the same. Just because a lot of guys are doing it doesn't change the rules. Maybe I will ask the NHRA for clarification.

Gump is a nickname that I got while racing my Firebird in the nineties. My real name is Daren Poole-Adams. I am an avid fan of the new cars. I also pushed very hard for the COPO to get built. I have supported the program from day one and will continue to do so as long as I am having fun.

It is nothing new that Bruce hates the new cars. My stance has always been that they fit the rules as written.

People who have driven my COPO Camaros in NHRA competition over the last few years are Brenda Grubbs, Rodger Johnson, Robin Lawrence, AJ Currie, Emily Volkman, Larry Morgan, Chip Johnson, Steve Foley, and Jeff Warren.

Peace,

Daren
Daren was the first guy on this forum to offer me help. Definitely one of the good ones.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #52
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Mr Gump,

Indy is a special deal. 180 cars trying to qualify for the first 128.
5 days.
Increased entry fee
Twice the entries.
Many S/SS racers are pitted past the sand traps.
It is now a flat out deal, with no AHFS in place.
Sounds like a good idea to me, to allow chillers in the lanes in wagons or hand trucks..No golf carts.

Noland has got a point here. Just find the guy who allowed the COPOs , Drag Paks , and CJ's to run Stock after 60 years of tradition, and have him change just one more rule for Indy only.
What's the problem?

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 08-16-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #53
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,605 Times in 375 Posts

Quote from one of the Greatest Cheetahs ever known:
Son ICE IS FOR BEER. ... That chiller is useless if you Have a fast car
Jim Marshall..".... Now me being SOFT my car needs all it can get.
Rules is rules By the way ever see Jim Boudreau. John Shaul. Or Jim Marshall using a chiller?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #54
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Just find the guy who allowed the COPOs , Drag Paks , and CJ's to run Stock after 60 years of tradition, and have him change just one more rule for Indy only.
OK. So, which rule did they change when the 2008 Cobra Jet was introduced? I honestly can't remember which new rule was passed to get them into the guide.

I have no problem with chillers in the staging lanes. Just put it in writing.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #55
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
OK. So, which rule did they change when the 2008 Cobra Jet was introduced? I honestly can't remember which new rule was passed to get them into the guide.

I don't have any old rule books, but it was something about 500 cars and showroom available. Plenty of 60's FX and small quantity combos were not allowed in Stock.
Oh, and I guess it was only 48 years or so until this new "Stock" was created out of whole cloth. That guy is probably Senior VP by now.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #56
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I don't have any old rule books, but it was something about 500 cars and showroom available.
Nope. That ship sailed in the nineties. Again, what was specifically changed in the rules that allowed the 2008 Cobra Jet?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #57
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I don't have any old rule books, but it was something about 500 cars and showroom available. Plenty of 60's FX and small quantity combos were not allowed in Stock.
Oh, and I guess it was only 48 years or so until this new "Stock" was created out of whole cloth. That guy is probably Senior VP by now.
Mark, I just checked the 2018 rule book and it still says the same thing. Not trying to put gas on a fire, but we all know that there are some cars out there without VIN numbers. I love Stock, but it isn't what it used to be. I had a stocker for awhile in the 70's and it was way different then.

Still very cool for me to watch and help with stockers and super/stockers. I am headed to Pacific Raceway to watch just those kind of cars today.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #58
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:

Don't play dumb!! You know very well they were brought in under the Special Assembly Run section and allowed to run in Stock. The problem is that they were all brought in with bogus weights and HP numbers. And you were very much aware of that as well. This created a supreme advantage for those of you who were chomping at the bit to take an unfair advantage of their fellow racers. I'll be glad to continue this debate if you want to. The lies have been told and the performance numbers are in the books. And the travesty continues to this day. At the time, it was easy for you to say its in the guide so its ok for me to beat the hell out of fellow competitors with my bogus combination. But we aren't forgetting, even though most of those responsible for this garbage are no longer involved in racing.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #59
GUMP
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
Don't play dumb!! You know very well they were brought in under the Special Assembly Run section and allowed to run in Stock. The problem is that they were all brought in with bogus weights and HP numbers. And you were very much aware of that as well. This created a supreme advantage for those of you who were chomping at the bit to take an unfair advantage of their fellow racers. I'll be glad to continue this debate if you want to. The lies have been told and the performance numbers are in the books. And the travesty continues to this day. At the time, it was easy for you to say its in the guide so its ok for me to beat the hell out of fellow competitors with my bogus combination. But we aren't forgetting, even though most of those responsible for this garbage are no longer involved in racing.
Nobody playing dumb here. My point is the same as it has always been. The rules did not change to allow these cars that you hate so much into the guide. All of those things that were changed to suit guys like you over the years in the name of safety and reliability opened that door.

I will remind you that Chevrolet didn't build any third generation Corvettes with solid rear ends. Of course you know that. Just like I know that I am wasting my time replying to your BS.

There is nothing bogus about the new combinations. My COPO is no more cutting edge than a 1969 COPO was in it's day.

As far as the horse power goes, it is no different today than it has ever been. No manufacturer wants their new combinations on the bottom of the ladder. It's funny that we never see you crying over some "Dime Rocket" combination that makes a joke out of qualifying. By your logic, that guy is pure evil.

It also amazes me that you are such a big man on the key board. You weren't nearly so big with your mouth when I came over to see you at Gainesville a few years ago. I, for one, have never been out to get you or any other guy driving an old car. I am however getting tired of your troll like ways.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #60
MFR440

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

I love the original intent of this post - as a FAN, it is really frustrating to see the classes all mixed up. It can't be THAT hard to run them from A-Z or vice versa. Doesn't NHRA send texts now to tell you when to be in the lanes? Get a text, and if you aren't there in 15 minutes, they run without you. If a Super Comp dragster got in my way from running a round of the Hemi Challenge, my Cuda or Dart would run their little rail over!

As for the whole chiller thing - isn't pitting at Indy decided by who you are or how much $$ your sponsor gives to NHRA to some extent? Joe Big Bucks Racer gets to park 100 yards from the lanes while Joe Little Guy Racer has to park in the back 40, 1/2 mile away through the Super Comp dragsters, Fans, Golf Carts, Harleys cruising the pits, etc. I personally don't have a problem with a "portable pit" as long as it's done out of the way of the lanes.

Whatever happens, I can't wait to get to Indy again!!
1962 Plymouth Fury S/ST #3384 - Race in Peace, Craig Meyer
MFR440 is offline   Reply With Quote