HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts
Cool What about STOCK ?

The powers to be FINALLY recognize "delay" buttons....... So .....in 2008 there will be a"spec" (approved) button in Comp and Super Stock. What about the lowest of lowest, starter, beginning, drag race class, "STOCK". Or are we now the latest high tech electronics class?
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: What about STOCK ?

Makes you wonder. I guess NHRA would have to first recognize that there are many automatic racers using a button to release their cars rather than a footbrake type action.It is easier to leave off of the button, but in my opinion not legal,however since NHRA has not addressed it, maybe I am wrong about that. I bet that the same racers that think it is ok to have this slow button on their automatic stockers would squeal if stick guys could also leave with a button somehow. I think it would be logical to extend the spec button to stock as well.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
jdfpam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim,
You know my opinion on this one. We have had discussions on this many times. I am with you 100%, buttons have no business in stock. The guys that use them should go to superstock or learn/remember how to footbrake.

Are you going to Martin this weekend?

My .02

Jeff Day
jdfpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
JIM MARSHALL

Liked 212 Times in 29 Posts

No buttons, no three steps for burnouts, no two steps for staging , just learn how to drive. Make Stock what it is ,STOCK. Have a nice day, sorry ED didn"t think you would mind me using your catch phrase.

Jim Marshall
Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Wink Re: What about STOCK ?

I agree 100% ...maybe we should put this thread down in the S/SS part of the forum.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
stockracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This topic is as dead as any...I agree they need a spec button in stock. But everything else that has been said is a bit out there. I say give the stick guys electro-magnet switches, no big deal. What changes then, how will the automatic have an advantage then? What will be the complaint? I would guess (only guess) that 80% of clutch guys do not loose because an auto guy has a button. Stick losses are usually spin, parts breakage, or just plain inconsistancy. And I would love for some of you to tell Fletch, Zane, Biondo, Stillings, Bertozzi, that they need to LEARN how to footbrake! They will still win the the ones bitching will still loose. And stock will never be STOCK...As long as theres $3000 Headers, $5000 Heads, and $100000 stockers...If your taking away two-steps lets do away with line locks, msd ignition, disc brakes (unless factory) fuel cells, and give everyone a SPEC slick. Then no one will have anything to complain about! Buttons are here and they are NOT the downfall of this sport! Go ahead...Bash me!
stockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Neil Smedley

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Smile Re: What about STOCK ?

Stockracer..................Consider yourself Bashed.................
Neil Smedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
RIBEIRO RACING

Thumbs down Re: What about STOCK ?

Jim,
I couldn't agree more with you !!!!

Stockracer,
I think you are talking apples and nuts here...A wheely bar,MSD, Valvespring, doesn't give you an advantage on the tree ?? I don't think people are complaining about parts as much as they are the lights that are being cut...Yah, I know practice, practice, practice, and I also agree on the good drivers will still win most races..But, if the buttons don't give you an advantage, why do alot of people use them...For the same reason all the better drivers have moved to a faster car and the reason there is they wanted to spend more $$$$$ right...IT's an advantage,you get to see the first red and you are mostly chasing..They can afford to do it and good luck to them..I still say no-to- electronics(buttons-etc in stock) and I think if NHRA takes a VOTE of racers they will find out how many people dislike electronics !!!! Time will tell and it makes more work for them.............Just my two cents................. Dave...1033/stock(RV-455)
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
LouisJeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: What about STOCK ?

Stock is the victim of trickle down effect. The hitters have comp cars they run is Superstock and superstock cars they run in stock. Small tires and dualplane manifold is the only thing stock about them. Take away the buttons and twosteps and you take away one of the tools that is IMPOSSIBLE to regulate. Footbrake only!!!!!!!!!
LouisJeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts

Jim,
You're dead-on with a zero.

Stock "wannabe"racer,
You're nuts. Take those buttons out and those guys will win half as much. Ask these guys why they shy away from the $20,000 at Piedmont and the $50,000 at Bristol. FOOTBRAKE ONLY, Thats why. Yes they could do it but not as good without a button.

Dave, I need some RV-455.

Chip Johnson
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote