Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #651
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 179 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Yup! Oh, all except the part where I spent 5K for heads and an intake.
So did you Rust Port your heads or use an Acid Pool ?

D

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 02-09-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #652
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
So did you Rust Port your heads or use aa Acid Pool ?

D
Dan, if you knew anything about the combos that I run, you would know that opening up the heads would slow me down.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #653
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I can't imagine why anyone would pull a legal motor out just so they can go run a few 1/8 mile open races and nothing else.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #654
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would pull a legal motor out just so they can go run a few 1/8 mile open races and nothing else.
James, 6 races isn't a few ! If you race the 1/8 mile races and your local stock/super stock races your going to be pretty busy.. lol

Last edited by KEN BUGAJ; 02-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #655
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

That's true Ken, myself I only do about 12 races a year its all the time I have. My take on this though is I don't think they have no intention on adding these classes, I believe they are just giving them a place to race and thinking they may switch over. And collecting some money along the way. Just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #656
KEN BUGAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
That's true Ken, myself I only do about 12 races a year its all the time I have. My take on this though is I don't think they have no intention on adding these classes, I believe they are just giving them a place to race and thinking they may switch over. And collecting some money along the way. Just my opinion.
Time will tell on that one, you may end up surprised if they get a good turnout of crate motor cars.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #657
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: Crate Motor Class

Nobody will know if crate motor classes will eventually be included in the regular program or not, including NHRA. Naturally they first have to see what the response is in Div. 2. But it is nice of them to try and include it in a separate series outside of divisional and national events so they won't influence the regular divisional and national championships of the "pure" (snicker) Stock classed cars. Either way is fine with me.

All one has to do is look back at the history of NHRA and the classes that they tried and in many cases "adopted" and ran/run at different degrees of success: Pro Mod, Top Sportsman, Top Dragster, Nitro Harley, Mountain Motor (500 cu.in.) Pro Stock, index classes - 11.50, etc. Don't forget double points races!

I hope I have the option of running CM Stock or regular Stock, depending how my 2 cars perform. I bought a "regular" Stocker a few years ago from a friend who has helped me a lot with it. But an attempted 2016 debut at Gainesville didn't go well. (Long story.) I hope to try again this season.

To answer the question of "Why would someone build a car that's limited to one sanction?". My main reason is that I grew up working on Holley carbs. Thermoquads are very "sensitive" and intimidating. Some people can almost rebuild them with their eyes closed, but I just never got around to learning and it will be a steep learning curve before I start getting any confidence in getting inside of one myself. Maybe a good analogy would be like comparing a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle to a 1000 piece, It's do-able, but takes a lot more time & patience to get it together.

Some people are mad at IHRA for dropping class racing. I can't blame them and appreciate that they tried for MANY YEARS to attract more competitors. Everybody should know how much they offered in purses, compact schedules and other incentives. But it was business decision and I can't blame them for not wanting to keep throwing money into something that not enough racers supported. I'll try to support their new format to some degree if time and budget permits. It may be a very busy season.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 02-09-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #658
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ View Post
Time will tell on that one, you may end up surprised if they get a good turnout of crate motor cars.
What's a good turn out, Ken? Are there actually that many? I ran IHRA for a while. Never saw a dozen show up.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #659
KEN BUGAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
What's a good turn out, Ken? Are there actually that many? I ran IHRA for a while. Never saw a dozen show up.
Ed division 4 is not a strong IHRA division, I know you don't like crate motor or IHRA, Let's wait and see . You shouldn't worry , you run Super Stock.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #660
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ View Post
They'll race division 2 in the 1/8 mile races. I'm sure 99.9 % can pass tech. You won't find any $5000. Heads and intakes on a crate motor car. Their budget racers..
Hold on there Ken, Budget racers ??? You must have meant to say Legal racers !!! Your implying your running illegal because you spend 5k on your stock cant do anything to heads.
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote